• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Ireland have a lot of injuries in the pack and are clueless as to who should replace BOD.

I figure by the end of the November internationals Ireland will have a pretty good idea of who'll play 13, but who the hell are going to be their workhorse ball-carriers?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Ah yeah, I had Toby Smith in mind. Good reminder.

Is Gill tied up with the sevens?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
We need to blood Goodwin at 12, depth is problem in that position and if To'omua goes down all our back-line structures crumble. Godwin would be up there to get some valuable game-time IMO.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
If Link loses his job before the RWC (and in my opinion, if it's going to happen it will be before the EOYT) it will have nothing to do with his win/loss record.

Yes, well that would be interesting. TBH I hope he's given the full term as I don't think what's going on right now is worthy of anything close to the press and tension it's managed to generate...

People just need to take a deep breath and calm the fuck down and gain a little perspective.

Admittedly I have a slight agenda - I don't want the Tahs to lose Cheika to the Wallabies just yet.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
McKenzie will take us to the RWC unless the EOYT is a complete failure. Curious to know who the next coach will be though, If there is a change in the next 2-3 years it would have to be between White or Chieka.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I figure by the end of the November internationals Ireland will have a pretty good idea of who'll play 13, but who the hell are going to be their workhorse ball-carriers?

I'd say SOB and Healys work will be split among McGrath/Cronin, Best, Ruddock and Heaslip. All of those are massive steps down and its a real worry for us leading into the EOYT games.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
McKenzie will take us to the RWC unless the EOYT is a complete failure. Curious to know who the next coach will be though, If there is a change in the next 2-3 years it would have to be between White or Chieka.

The ship has well and truly sailed on White... he was forced out of the Sharks and left in poor circumstances with the Brumbies. What's more, his style of play as seen as anathema to the ARU's goals for the Wallabies

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I'd say SOB and Healys work will be split among McGrath/Cronin, Best, Ruddock and Heaslip. All of those are massive steps down and its a real worry for us leading into the EOYT games.

I like what Cronin's been doing, Best has been playing better, and it's a chance for McGrath and Ruddock make names for themselves. But they'll have to take that chance.

Are you a fan of Madigan moving to 12, or would you prefer he stay at 10 or as a utility? It seems like the more game time he gets, the better, so I've been okay with him at 12 for Leinster.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Lilo has been preferred in the squad over Godwin throughout the RC, so he would have to be the favourite.....

But neither of them have the form that would command a spot, and Lilo's goal kicking has gone to shit this year.....

Let's just flip a coin.
Depends somewhat on weather cooper plays, if Foley starts I think it'll be lilo, if cooper starts there might be more room to play Godwin, but it's far from clear either way.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lilo has been preferred in the squad over Godwin throughout the RC, so he would have to be the favourite.....

But neither of them have the form that would command a spot, and Lilo's goal kicking has gone to shit this year.....

Let's just flip a coin.

Pretty telling he was never wanted on the bench.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who do you think it will be?

Either Godwin or Lilo. Going on form, I'd have Godwin right now. I suspect that Foley will start, with either Lilo or Cooper on the bench. Personally, I'd rather see Cooper get a full 80 with City again!

T

Train Without a Station

If the EOYT is a massive failure what are the options though? Make a change the the first thing the new coach walks into is the World Cup?

Countries are reluctant to change coaches 2 years out from a World Cup we need to remember.

Barring off-field matters, Link is pretty secure until the World Cup.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think Cheika would make a good Test coach anyway, he'd have to significantly change his coaching philosophy. Neglected set piece, high running game and all based on a strong physical dominance. Won't work with the Wallabies.

T

Train Without a Station

In the thread that shall not be named people loved throwing absolute crap out like "Cheika wouldn't have put up with this", "Cheika would have put a broom through the place", "Cheika would have cured cancer and eradicated Ebola".

The fact of the matter is this though. At Qld Link came in and put his team together. Was known for being no nonsense, not taking crap but being able to engage his players. Giteau seemed to love to spout that when it suited him even.

Now he's at the Wallabies, inherited most of his team and look how everybody is talking about him now. My thought is that the only difference if Cheika was coach would be replacing "McKenzie" with "Cheika" in all the derogatory sentences.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
In the thread that shall not be named people loved throwing absolute crap out like "Cheika wouldn't have put up with this", "Cheika would have put a broom through the place", "Cheika would have cured cancer and eradicated Ebola".

The fact of the matter is this though. At Qld Link came in and put his team together. Was known for being no nonsense, not taking crap but being able to engage his players. Giteau seemed to love to spout that when it suited him even.

Now he's at the Wallabies, inherited most of his team and look how everybody is talking about him now. My thought is that the only difference if Cheika was coach would be replacing "McKenzie" with "Cheika" in all the derogatory sentences.

Giteau played for the Reds under The Coach?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the EOYT is a massive failure what are the options though? Make a change the the first thing the new coach walks into is the World Cup?

Countries are reluctant to change coaches 2 years out from a World Cup we need to remember.

Barring off-field matters, Link is pretty secure until the World Cup.

i think you can make that 100 per cent secure. too many people have too much invested in The Coach to allow him to leave before his contract reaches its expiry date, regardless of on- or off- form matters or what the "senior players", rugby journalists or we keyboard abusers may think, write or say.

Status
Not open for further replies.