• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I still think the fact Beau Robinson getting a Wallaby cap was the most shameful part of Deans tenure.

Shameful? Hardly...

A little harsh i think - he was not perhaps the most enlightened choice, but to say it was shameful is ridiculous. Good Luck to him in getting a Cap - something most of us has not come within a Bull's Roar of achieving.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
HWC, it was said only to incite the Queenslanders, I don't genuinely believe it was an aberration. At the time he was the 2nd best openside in Australia, and got a cap based on that.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
HWC, it was said only to incite the Queenslanders, I don't genuinely believe it was an aberration. At the time he was the 2nd best openside in Australia, and got a cap based on that.

Okay - being a Waratahs Supporter, I do not understand the tragic humour of others...

On a lighter note, I remember Villie Vai getting a cap many years ago - and then naming his kid after the Sydney Cricket Ground...

I always thought that was charming - except for the Kid.

Villie was a Manly player i recall - and the lad would be old enough for Senior Level now if he plays... 23-ish?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Mostly TWAS to be fair. He's very easy to irk.

i.e.

Pocock is the saviour of Australian rugby
Simmons is useless/soft/dumb
Sharpe was one of the greatest Wallaby Locks
Sharpe >>>>>>> Simmons
Beau Robinson is crap and Didn't deserve his cap

etc.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I live to beat the Poms... at anything. During the Last 5-0 Ashes Win, the Missus could not understand what had gotten into me...

But I have to admit I am FAR more gee-ed up about next weeks game against Wales than anything else on this tour...

Our Record against Wales I understand is 26 -10-1: and I looked up the record in the 2000s and find a remarkable 14-2-1 turnaround over the past 14 years. Millennium Stadium should hold no fears for us, but when they have beaten us, it has been in Cardiff;

I have to ask myself, can it last til the end of the next World Cup?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Mostly TWAS to be fair. He's very easy to irk.

i.e.

Pocock is the saviour of Australian rugby
Simmons is useless/soft/dumb
Sharpe was one of the greatest Wallaby Locks
Sharpe >>>>>>> Simmons
Beau Robinson is crap and Didn't deserve his cap

etc.

I do not like to argue with TWAS - The whole possibility that it might actually be Allan Border intimidates me...

However, to ask a question i have asked before - is there any current prognosis on Pocock?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With the best of state parochialism at heart, Beau Robinson is NSW born and bread. Graduate of St Stanislaus College (ISA).

Thoroughly deserved his Wallaby Cap, even if he was pouring pints at the Goodna Tavern at the time. Well done to the Reds Management team for picking him up and giving him a go at the big show.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I do not like to argue with TWAS - The whole possibility that it might actually be Allan Border intimidates me.

However, to ask a question i have asked before - is there any current prognosis on Pocock?

I believe Poey is targeting the first round of 2015 Super Rugby for his much awaited comeback. Really hope his knees hold up for the whole year.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
^^^Rugby League players can't tackle.

They are good at the 3 on 1 cuddle.

HJ, if you were in the best physical condition of your life, and hit the ball up in a 1st grade rugby league match, you'd soon discover that they can tackle.
They hit hard and it's often ferocious at the line in the ruck.
Yes the 3 on 1 cuddles slow the ball carrier down in the play the ball too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
HJ, if you were in the best physical condition of your life, and hit the ball up in a 1st grade rugby league match, you'd soon discover that they can tackle.
They hit hard and it's often ferocious at the line in the ruck.
Yes the 3 on 1 cuddles slow the ball carrier down in the play the ball too.
Mythbusters examine the Tackling Machines in NRL Myth.

Rabbitohs, 7561 tackles made, 528 tackles missed, 8089 Tackles attempted, 6.5% tackle miss rate.
Cowboys, 7310 tackles made, 589 tackles missed, 7899 Tackles attempted, 7.5% tackle miss rate.
Storm, 7810 tackles made, 641 tackles missed, 8451 Tackles attempted, 7.6% tackle miss rate.
Bulldogs, 7106 tackles made, 595 tackles missed, 7701 Tackles attempted, 7.7% tackle miss rate.
Dragons, 7564 tackles made, 648 tackles missed, 8212 Tackles attempted, 7.9% tackle miss rate.
Sharks, 7788 tackles made, 672 tackles missed, 8460 Tackles attempted, 7.9% tackle miss rate.
Roosters, 7687 tackles made, 672 tackles missed, 8359 Tackles attempted, 8% tackle miss rate.
Broncos, 7449 tackles made, 681 tackles missed, 8130 Tackles attempted, 8.4% tackle miss rate.
Sea Eagles, 7207 tackles made, 698 tackles missed, 7905 Tackles attempted, 8.8% tackle miss rate.
Raiders, 7603 tackles made, 738 tackles missed, 8341 Tackles attempted, 8.8% tackle miss rate.
Warriors, 7024 tackles made, 717 tackles missed, 7741 Tackles attempted, 9.3% tackle miss rate.
Panthers, 7533 tackles made, 786 tackles missed, 8319 Tackles attempted, 9.4% tackle miss rate.
Knights, 7510 tackles made, 802 tackles missed, 8312 Tackles attempted, 9.6% tackle miss rate.
Titans, 7731 tackles made, 882 tackles missed, 8613 Tackles attempted, 10.2% tackle miss rate.
Eels, 6962 tackles made, 797 tackles missed, 7759 Tackles attempted, 10.3% tackle miss rate.
Wests Tigers, 7006 tackles made, 817 tackles missed, 7823 Tackles attempted, 10.4% tackle miss rate.

The above stats are for a 24 game season.
In an "average" NRL game there are 678 tackles attempted, and 59 tackles missed (8.65% miss rate).
Every 82 seconds a tackle is missed.

Conclusion: Myth busted.

Source: - http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiership/clubstats/tabid/10254/default.aspx

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
Okay - being a Waratahs Supporter, I do not understand the tragic humour of others.

On a lighter note, I remember Villie Vai getting a cap many years ago - and then naming his kid after the Sydney Cricket Ground.

I always thought that was charming - except for the Kid.

Villie was a Manly player i recall - and the lad would be old enough for Senior Level now if he plays. 23-ish?
I am pretty sure of the following... He was playing for Hornsby and his child was a daughter - Sarah. I was in the clubhouse when both events were being celebrated. This was about 1980.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)

Rabbitohs, 7561 tackles made, 528 tackles missed, 8089 Tackles attempted, 6.5% tackle miss rate.
Cowboys, 7310 tackles made, 589 tackles missed, 7899 Tackles attempted, 7.5% tackle miss rate.
Storm, 7810 tackles made, 641 tackles missed, 8451 Tackles attempted, 7.6% tackle miss rate.
Bulldogs, 7106 tackles made, 595 tackles missed, 7701 Tackles attempted, 7.7% tackle miss rate.
Dragons, 7564 tackles made, 648 tackles missed, 8212 Tackles attempted, 7.9% tackle miss rate.
Sharks, 7788 tackles made, 672 tackles missed, 8460 Tackles attempted, 7.9% tackle miss rate.
Roosters, 7687 tackles made, 672 tackles missed, 8359 Tackles attempted, 8% tackle miss rate.
Broncos, 7449 tackles made, 681 tackles missed, 8130 Tackles attempted, 8.4% tackle miss rate.
Sea Eagles, 7207 tackles made, 698 tackles missed, 7905 Tackles attempted, 8.8% tackle miss rate.
Raiders, 7603 tackles made, 738 tackles missed, 8341 Tackles attempted, 8.8% tackle miss rate.
Warriors, 7024 tackles made, 717 tackles missed, 7741 Tackles attempted, 9.3% tackle miss rate.
Panthers, 7533 tackles made, 786 tackles missed, 8319 Tackles attempted, 9.4% tackle miss rate.
Knights, 7510 tackles made, 802 tackles missed, 8312 Tackles attempted, 9.6% tackle miss rate.
Titans, 7731 tackles made, 882 tackles missed, 8613 Tackles attempted, 10.2% tackle miss rate.
Eels, 6962 tackles made, 797 tackles missed, 7759 Tackles attempted, 10.3% tackle miss rate.
Wests Tigers, 7006 tackles made, 817 tackles missed, 7823 Tackles attempted, 10.4% tackle miss rate.

The above stats are for a 24 game season.
In an "average" NRL game there are 678 tackles attempted, and 59 tackles missed (8.65% miss rate).
Every 82 seconds a tackle is missed.

Source: - http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiership/clubstats/tabid/10254/default.aspx

wonderful research, thanks.

however, is the hypothesized myth:

1. that rugby league players CAN tackle (are tackling machines)
or
2. that rugby league players CAN NOT tackle (are tackling marshmallows).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
No 1. and No. 2.
The majority of the NRL Tackles made are 1 vs 3 cuddles. I can't really think of too many of these that are missed.
The majority of NRL tackles missed are 1 vs 1 tackles.

Isolating the NRL 1 vs 1 Tackles attempted vs Tackles missed would empirically prove there is a low success rate of 1 vs 1 tackles in NRL. Hypothesis 2.

Can NRL players tackle? Hypothesis 1. The fact that there is a missed tackle every 82 seconds confirms that NRL players are not tackling machines.

Taking stats from 3 Rugby games, Canes vs Clan, Wobs vs Darkness (Bled 1) and NZL vs SAF (in SAF), there were 44, 27, and 42 missed tackles or 1 missed tackle every 107 seconds, 177 seconds, and 114 seconds respectively. The Missed Tackle Rate was 13%, 10% and 15% respectively.

Interestingly the most exciting game of rugby (NZL vs SAF in SAF) had the highest miss tackle rate at approx twice the NRL rate, whereas the dour draw at Homebush in Bled 1 saw only 10% of tackles missed. The latter is approaching the dourness of a game of NRL.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
No 1. and No. 2.
The majority of the NRL Tackles made are 1 vs 3 cuddles. I can't really think of too many of these that are missed.
The majority of NRL tackles missed are 1 vs 1 tackles.

Isolating the NRL 1 vs 1 Tackles attempted vs Tackles missed would empirically prove there is a low success rate of 1 vs 1 tackles in NRL. Hypothesis 2.

Can NRL players tackle? Hypothesis 1. The fact that there is a missed tackle every 82 seconds confirms that NRL players are not tackling machines.

Taking stats from 3 Rugby games, Canes vs Clan, Wobs vs Darkness (Bled 1) and NZL vs SAF (in SAF), there were 44, 27, and 42 missed tackles or 1 missed tackle every 107 seconds, 177 seconds, and 114 seconds respectively. The Missed Tackle Rate was 13%, 10% and 15% respectively.

Interestingly the most exciting game of rugby (NZL vs SAF in SAF) had the highest miss tackle rate at approx twice the NRL rate, whereas the dour draw at Homebush in Bled 1 saw only 10% of tackles missed. The latter is approaching the dourness of a game of NRL.

great stuff, fascinating.

the tackle stats don't excite me too much, though.
i think the definitions are very loose and that the recorder has far too much room for subjectivity - and exercises it.

i prefer the vibe.
my vibe is that blokes in both games tackle very well, with some notable absentees.

i note also that there is a vast difference in the purpose of the tackle in league and in rugby.
the emphasis on stopping the ball and stopping the man is different, with further variation up and down the field.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)

I know you're joking around but I would say it's more insufficient evidence than myth busted thanks to the lack of a decent sample to compare to (other than the three games mentioned above).

I tend to agree with Biffo above on the 'vibe' conclusion. However, tackling ability in one game doesn't necessarily equate to tackling ability in another. For example tackling like TPN or Fainga'a would be largely ineffective in league as it doesn't neutralise the offload, while I'm sure there are styles of tackling in league that would make the transition, tackling wise, to union easily and others who would struggle.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Lack of a decent sample?
The tackle stats from every game of an entire NRL season, from the official RL web site. How is that not a decent sample?

Over all NRL games in 2014, there was a tackle missed every 82 seconds of game play.
The myth that NRL players are awesome tacklers, and Rugby players are not is busted.

I'm bailing on further comment on this issue on this thread to reorient the thread back to topic: Wobs 2014 EOYT.

Status
Not open for further replies.