• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Not sure why people are bracketing Cooper with Genia and Phipps with Foley.
Combinations are important but I'd really like to see Cooper get a chance to work on a combination with Phipps. The faster ball distribution from the ruck would play to Quades strengths. Shame if he only gets a chance with an out of form genia. Personally I think Phipps/ Cooper is our best combo moving forwards.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Now that he's done Paris, Cheika should pay a visit to his old digs in Dublin.

He should be taking whatever's left of Folau's 2015 salary into Leinster to buy back Kane Douglas.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I was having a couple of Rolling Rocks on the Grassy Knoll ... couldn't see Cheiks and Beale there but when I glanced up at the Book Depository ..........

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Now that he's done Paris, Cheika should pay a visit to his old digs in Dublin.

He should be taking whatever's left of Folau's 2015 salary into Leinster to buy back Kane Douglas.

Our starting locks didn't lose us that game. Not a strength but not a glaring weakness either. The bench lock, bench prop, and some overall shitful rugby skills across the park were the problem.
Its the lottery you get when the french side of the southern hemisphere plays the french..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Kane Douglas myth keeps growing.
I don't think he's much above a journeyman at Test level with a bit of extra grunt.

But our second row stocks are so low that Carter is actually an improvement on Skelton and Horwill. :(

Sammy F'n Carrrrtahhh.

With Carter as a Starter, I'm seeing Douglas was a Martyr.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't think he's much above a journeyman at Test level with a bit of extra grunt.

But our second row stocks are so low that Carter is actually an improvement on Skelton and Horwill. :(

Sammy F'n Carrrrtahhh.

i have repeatedly, over many years and in many forums, made the point that most 190+ cm second row and back row blokes take quite a while for their bodies to mature and let them deliver serious muscle and mongrel [**].
Douglas is right on the cusp of transitting to top quality lock as he has matured.
i suggest he will, long term, be a high quality test lock for the Wallabies.

i suggest also that he will play in RWC 2015.
BillyPoo and MicklePorker and the Silent Sneaky Assassin on the board will soon all be gone and their successors will ditch the ban on players overseas being chosen for the Wallabies.

[**] i am hoping that Adam Coleman does an Eales and is test class in a few months from now.

T

Train Without a Station

So Biffo you're saying that there is hope for Simmons then? Considering they are pretty much the same age.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree about Douglas, in that he did not show anything to say he was a top-notch Test lock to this point, but I think he will get better up north and return an asset. When? Who knows. That's our problem at lock - we have guys like Horwill and Simmons who have the caps under their belts, and we know what they can do. If they both did the best they can do on a regular basis, I would have no issue with them being the combo.
Below that we have a bunch of maybes.
Carter has shown some promise but has a way to go.
Skelton has some glaring deficiencies that must (and can) be remedied but I think this will take some time.
Douglas maybe one day, but has some way to go.
Guys like Neville, Pyle, Coleman and so on are promising.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
So Biffo you're saying that there is hope for Simmons then? Considering they are pretty much the same age.

yes.
he has come a very long way.
i am not sure of his trajectory but see him as being close to real test class, with some hope of making it.
however, he'd have to take the Hillary Step (so to speak) very soon.

the "Eales trajectory" is very rare.
funnily enough there are a few from the Eales trajectory playing tests right now: Etzebeth and PSDT are probably the top two but Jake Ball and Johnny Gray both qualify.

young, gifted athletes who can take (and give) the tough stuff from very early in their careers.
Coleman is a chance.
what about the (non-) biter from the Brumbies?
anyone else?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I agree about Douglas, in that he did not show anything to say he was a top-notch Test lock to this point, but I think he will get better up north and return an asset. When? Who knows.

remember when the Tahs went to NZ this year and beat the living daylights out of the Chiefs who have two promising young locks?
that day, Douglas put in the best performance by an Australian lock for years.
wandered around the field bashing blokes and then fronted up for the set pieces.

that was Douglas' rehearsal for graduation day.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
remember when the Tahs went to NZ this year and beat the living daylights out of the Chiefs who have two promising young locks?
that day, Douglas put in the best performance by an Australian lock for years.
wandered around the field bashing blokes and then fronted up for the set pieces.

that was Douglas' rehearsal for graduation day.
Yeah, he had his moments at Super level, and was very valuable for the Tahs this year indeed, in fact one of the more valuable forwards I would say. Did a lot of grunt work. Cheika valued him highly too.
But doing it consistently at Test level is the next, far bigger step. I hope he comes back the player to do it. We'll see.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Sammy F'n Carrrrtahhh.

Be careful Sammy has family here. ;). His new at the level and been ok. He had a cracking Super Rugby season so deserved his chance

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
yes.
he has come a very long way.
i am not sure of his trajectory but see him as being close to real test class, with some hope of making it.
however, he'd have to take the Hillary Step (so to speak) very soon.

the "Eales trajectory" is very rare.
funnily enough there are a few from the Eales trajectory playing tests right now: Etzebeth and PSDT are probably the top two but Jake Ball and Johnny Gray both qualify.

young, gifted athletes who can take (and give) the tough stuff from very early in their careers.
Coleman is a chance.
what about the (non-) biter from the Brumbies?
anyone else?
Staniforth struggled in the NRC. He has some issues with his gas tank. But someone on here with more knowledge then me (lee grant???) recokens he could be the next Brad Throne

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Be careful Sammy has family here. ;). His new at the level and been ok. He had a cracking Super Rugby season so deserved his chance
I'm sure Sammy (and his brotha Tommy :) ) have me covered if they come to find me.

With my sledge, though, I'm also saying he's done a better job than Skelton and Horwill - But it's not enough.

Horwill at his peak would have a, ... ahem, ... lock on that position. But he's not at his peak. - I s'pose they'll stick with Kev for a bit now, but so far he's not shown enough.

Australia are well down the pecking order in the second row.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I'm sure Sammy (and his brotha Tommy :) ) have me covered if they come to find me.

With my sledge, though, I'm also saying he's done a better job than Skelton and Horwill - But it's not enough.

Horwill at his peak would have a, ... ahem, ... lock that position. But he's not at his peak. - I s'pose they'll stick with Kev for a bit now, but so far he's not shown enough.

Australia are well down the pecking order in the second row.
Its Mr Doug not ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staniforth struggled in the NRC. He has some issues with his gas tank. But someone on here with more knowledge then me (lee grant???) recokens he could be the next Brad Throne

what's the name of the Brumby bloke who went to RSA, got 12,000 months for biting and then won an appeal? i think he's back at the Brumbies. can he play?

Status
Not open for further replies.