• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Lets be pragmatic here - This is pro sport. You don't deserve anything, there's no time to be put in, you don't get a turn.

The ARU is spending a lot of money on Koroibete.

They are going to want to see some return on that investment as quickly as possible. Get him in the squad, run him through his paces, get him up to speed.

If nothing else, they are paying him already, he can hold the tackle bags.

In a world that is black and white, you're probably right. Problem is though that there is a significant element of people management in what the ARU do. If they don't look after their 'people' then they risk losing them. Not saying I disagree with the thrust of your post but it is overly simplistic and ignores a key part of what the ARU are dealing with.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Quade Cooper, Kane Douglas, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Nick Frisby, Will Genia, Kyle Godwin*James Hanson, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Michael Hooper, Sekope Kepu, Marika Koroibete*, Tevita Kuridrani, Tolu Latu*, Sean McMahon, Stephen Moore, Dean Mumm, Sefanaia Naivalu, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tom Robertson, Rob Simmons, Scott Sio, Will Skelton, Henry Speight, James Slipper, Lopeti Timani

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kyle Godwin and Marika Korobeite the big inclusions, Luke Morahan the big exclusion. Really unlucky for him.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
In a world that is black and white, you're probably right. Problem is though that there is a significant element of people management in what the ARU do. If they don't look after their 'people' then they risk losing them. Not saying I disagree with the thrust of your post but it is overly simplistic and ignores a key part of what the ARU are dealing with.

But the key criteria for Cheika and selectors is having the best team possible. This means fast tracking players with the highest ceiling IMO. Whilst Morahan may have paid his dues in club/NRC/Soup colours - I'd argue he isn't going to improve that much and everyone knows where his ceiling his. Koroboiete they clearly see as having great potential - the money is already spent, now its time to get the value of it and making earn his stripes playing for the Chinchilla Emus for 6 months to get respect from those who have worked the way up for 20 years isn't a smart investment strategy

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Whilst Morahan may have paid his dues in club/NRC/Soup colours - I'd argue he isn't going to improve that much and everyone knows where his ceiling his.

I think Morahan has been extremely unlucky to miss out on this occasion. He has blitzed the NRC and his form atm is better than when he played for the Wallabies years ago. On top of that, he would bring another strong kicking game to the back three if selected. Could have been a very valuable inclusion for my money.

I suppose I would have to question Will Skelton's inclusion again. His form doesn't warrant a spot.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
There seems to be some genuine options at 13, being Kerevi, TK and Folau.

The cupboard is pretty bare at 12 with Hodge, Foley and Kerevi. Out of those I'd give Hodge another, say, couple of games and if no good look at making Kerevi move one in. He just needs to improve his ball skills quite a bit. If that was the case I'd try Folau at 13
is Beale available, he will be drafted in when fit

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I agree BR, Morahan is very unlucky, however I don't have a problem with Koroibete's inclusion, let's get him in there and have a look at him.

I also agree Skelton is dead lucky, as is Godwin. He had an indifferent NRC, and seems to still be relying on the potential he showed in his rooky ye in 2014.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I agree BR, Morahan is very unlucky, however I don't have a problem with Koroibete's inclusion, let's get him in there and have a look at him.

I also agree Skelton is dead lucky, as is Godwin. He had an indifferent NRC, and seems to still be relying on the potential he showed in his rooky ye in 2014.

I just don't understand the perseverance with Skelton, well, actually I think I do !

Also feel for Mozza

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So we have:

prop: Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Moore
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons, Skelton
backrow: Fardy, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Pocock, Timani
scrumhalf: Frisby, Genia, Phipps
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kuridrani
wing: Koroibete, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

Pretty much as most of us predicted. Kerevi's absence'll result in some interesting selections in the backs; let's hope the tour selectors decide on the best positions for some players, and leave them there.

The extra cohort for the French BaaBaas match presents an opportunity to give a few fringe players a run: Ready, Smith, RHP, Dempsey, Gordon, Simone et al.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Lindo - do you really think there are Tour Selectors ?

I cannot imagine Chek having a player in his team that HE has not picked.

I also think Chek is an Autocrat, not a Democrat

T

Train Without a Station

The problem with Koribete is not his selection over Morahan.

Two very different players and very different roles.

The problem though is that Speight, Naivalu and Koribete are essentially the same type of player with very similar strengths (speed, strength, physicality) and very similar weaknesses (kicking game, skills).

In a squad of this size I don't know how you can really fit all 3 without missing something else which offers more value than the 3rd.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I would have taken Morahan instead of Speight or Naivalu. Neither have done well so far in the opportunities they've had.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
So we have:

prop: Ala'alatoa, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper, TThor
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Moore
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons, Skelton
backrow: Fardy, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Pocock, Timani, Dempsey
scrumhalf: Frisby, Genia, Phipps
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kuridrani, Perese
wing: Koroibete, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

Pretty much as most of us predicted. Kerevi's absence'll result in some interesting selections in the backs, let's hope the tour selectors decide on the best positions for some players, and leave them there.

The extra cohort for the French BaaBaas match presents an opportunity to give a few fringe players a run, Ready, Smith, RHP, Gordon, Dempsey et al.

I've expanded that to include the 3 development players because they are going according to this article:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Like others I have zero problem with Koroibete going, I don't even care if it was part of the carrot to lure him to the game. I don't watch a lot of loig but I did watch the Storm in a couple of finals and the bloke is a machine. Even if he doesn't get selected, get him into the environment, work on his technique, teach him how to play the new rules, etc.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Gutted that we won't be seeing Kerevi tearing up the fields of the NH in the coming weeks. He's really hit his straps and I would have predicted that he would have caused our opposition all sorts of problems. Still, TK is no mug and has a good record against this opposition. We just need him to get back to where he was 12 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.