• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

EOYT 2016 - Possibles, probables and general banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
My 33-man squad without foreign-based players:

Props: Slipper, Kepu, Sio, Robertson, Ala'alatoa
Hookers: Moore, Hanson, Ready
Locks: Simmons, Coleman, Douglas, Neville, Arnold
Backrowers: Fardy, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Timani, Houston, Holloway
Scrumhalves: Phipps, Frisby, Powell
Flyhalves: Cooper, Foley
Centres: Kerevi, Kuridrani, Godwin
Wingers: DHP, Naivalu, Boomstick, Morahan
Fullbacks: Folau

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

I like it, but who the fuck is Boomstick? Hodge? Sorry, I'm not always up to speed.
BUT, I suspect Holloway will be underdone so not there, and as much as Neville might be worth a look, I reckon he won't be.
But I still like it!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't doubt Leroy Houston's potential. But maybe I should have written that 10 years ago because he's nigh on 30. What would be the rationale for including him on this tour given that he didn't make the first round cuts of this year's squads? If he carves it up for the Reds, sure, give him a burl in the mid year tests, but for this trip I'd rather the unknown guy, much like when McMahon was picked 2 years ago.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dirt trackers/bolters

1-3 Smith
2 … Ready
4-6 Staniforth
8 … Naisarani (if eligible)
9 … Gordon

10-12 Lance
11-14 Perese (more likely Koroibete)
15 … Morahan

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
i recon a lock combination of luckan tui and adam coleman would be unstoppable. good look for the future . with arnold and douglas coming of the bench. there seems to be a few good young locks coming through

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)

Some good names in there. The overall balance does seem a little off with a 20/13 split though.

I would as a minimum drop one of the locks for a back as 5 locks plus Mumm seems a lot.

If the Cooper/Foley 10/12 is persisted with, you will need some cover additional cover in the squad there.

It seems that Hodge isn't quite ready for the midfield which is fine. He's an obvious talent but I'm all for guys playing in the outside backs whilst they have limited Super experience in the midfield. Godwin's name always seems to come up but he's like the Yetti when it comes to actual selection....

Other than that, it looks good.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Like the option of Ready as a spare rake. I'd consider Smith as the 5th prop. Mainly because he can play both 1 and 3. Not sure of AA will be right for the tour.

If we're talking dirt-track selections, why not Meehan? Has played well at 9 for the Rebs, and he's doing fairly nicely at 10 for the Rising. Would really love little Red to get a shot over Powell, but needs to play himself into some form.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree with Lance as the cover for 10/12. I am also very impressed with Jake Gordon, and he could well tip out one of the favoured No 9s. I think he could be one of the best running No 9s we've seen for some time (Genia at his best aside).

In the spirit of plumping for promising young players on the eoyt, I'd really like to see both Holloway (if fit) and Kellaway included. Kellaway would also cover 15 as well as wing. Naivalu must also come into consideration.

So many others who are likely to miss out this time, like Perese, Dempsey, RHP, Lukan Tui, Staniforth and one of Gordon or Powell.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

Locks: Simmons, Coleman, Douglas, Neville,Arnold
Wingers: DHP, Naivalu, Hodge, Morahan

Good squad, but too many forwards. Comments:
  • Are Moore's days numbered, is he worth persisting with? I can't see him going on to 2019. Who else is there apart from Hanson and Ready? NOT Saia, Bongo or Charles. Latu or Scoble?
  • oztimmay's got a point about Ala'alatoa, if he's not fit include Smith.
  • Mumm covers second row and 6, drop Neville.
  • At 23 Holloway's got more upside than Houston at 29 (they'll both add a year before the tour leaves), leave Leroy at Bath.
  • We desperately need speed on the flanks in Oz rugby, I'd take Koroibete. Add a five-eighth, dunno who, or Kellaway.
  • Larkham needs to earn his keep this tour, a shitload of work's needed to sort out our options and play in every back position.
My touring squad:

prop: Ala'alatoa/Smith, Kepu, Robertson, Sio, Slipper
hooker: Hanson, Latu, Ready
lock: Arnold, Coleman, Douglas, Simmons
backrow: Fardy, Holloway, Hooper, McMahon, Mumm, Timani,
scrumhalf: Frisby, Phipps, Powell
flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
centre: Godwin, Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani
wing: Kellaway/Koroibete, Morahan, Naivalu, Speight
fullback: DHP, Folau

after Brumby Runner's urging

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^^^^ I think you are very close Lindommer. The real question probably relates to the wingers. The four you've nominated are not in the present day Wallabies' squad (not sure about Morahan's status), so to take someone else's line, I don't think Cheika will necessarily do that when he has kept Henry Speight within the squad for most of this year. Not saying that he has shown enough to guarantee his spot, but he will probably get a ticket before either of Kellaway or Koroibete. Personally, I want to see Kellaway in the squad asap, and I wouldn't be at all fussed to see Koroibete left behind until he has shown his worth for the Rebels in Super Rugby next year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think we will beat the Pumas in Enland nut probably lose to the Boks in Africa and AB's. Our so called new found confidence will be again tested by the end of the RC.

We need to win as many of the EOYT tests as possible to continue to gain confidence. Therefore our strongest team each test week. The squad is pretty settled with a few undecided. I do think Moore's tenure is coming to an end so would like to see Ready earn a tour spot as the third rake behind Moore and Hansen.

The mid week games should be (as they normally are) to blood the newbies (but winning is still paramount)

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Personally I think we will beat the Pumas in Enland nut probably lose to the Boks in Africa and AB's. Our so called new found confidence will be again tested by the end of the RC.

We need to win as many of the EOYT tests as possible to continue to gain confidence. Therefore our strongest team each test week. The squad is pretty settled with a few undecided. I do think Moore's tenure is coming to an end so would like to see Ready earn a tour spot as the third rake behind Moore and Hansen.

The mid week games should be (as they normally are) to blood the newbies (but winning is still paramount)

no mid-week tests anymore. so we will need to try and balance blooding the new with some old hard heads. i'm not sure we have the settled team yet with question marks over locks, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
no mid-week tests anymore. so we will need to try and balance blooding the new with some old hard heads. i'm not sure we have the settled team yet with question marks over locks, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14.

I realise there are no tests mid week but are there no mid week non test matches at all on this tour

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Groucho
The difference between probable and possible can be as little as 1%
Happy to change my view, but only just.:)

N

NTT

I doubt we will see too much change from the current squad. Koirobete should not be rushed in, there are a lot of nuances to his position that would be better learnt in Super Rugby. I think we may only see Ready, Holloway, Staniforth, Morahan and Naivalu in contention. My bolter would be Jake Gordon.

Status
Not open for further replies.