• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Europe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ok chaps, I'm flying out to Heathrow from Sydney this arvo with the girlfriend for a couple of months around Europe.

The plan so far is London for a couple of days, up to Edinburgh for Hogmanay, visit some friends in Glasgow, then across to Frankfurt, down to Salzburg, Slovenia maybe for some skiing, into Italy - Trieste, Bologna, Siena, Rome, Milan/Turin/Genoa. Over to Barcelona after that and roll around Spain for a while until heading up to Paris and then home from London on the 25th of Feb.

It's a bit of a mix of places I've been before and loved and some stuff I haven't seen at all. So if you guys have some must-see places or tips for travelling with the missus I definitely want to hear them.

I won't be round much so enjoy summer people! :crybaby

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Hope you've packed some warm clothes brother! Enjoy. Did something simliar about 10 years ago. Best time of my life.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Bring an array of scarfs, hats, boots, ski socks, skiing gear, a sled, a lappy tappy (lap top)

Also when you go to Milan be prepared to splash out alot of cash on the stuff, really expensive

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think I'm prepped for the cold - got jacket and thermals and stuff but I've never actually worn thermals so I have no idea how warm they'll keep me. I also have a mates skins for long thermals lol. As for gloves the only ones I have are motorcycle ones so I think I may have to buy some.

As for tech stuff, I'm sticking with a point n shoot, ipod and my 20 quid phone from when I was last in the UK. Laptop's too heavy to cart around in a backpack and just another thing to worry about I think. Besides, I'll be making G&GR the homepage on every internet cafe computer I use 8)

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Ur backpacking it, good luck pal, dont rely on the thermals though

Does ur GF know you use G&GR or have you hidden it from her?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sounds good. I'll be in Edinburgh 16/1 to 28/2 if anyone wants to visit me.

You can probably find me here watching SuperRugby.

2796119946_f5cf6d2dc8.jpg

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Make sure you have a good pair of boots. First time I went over mine fell apart after all of the walking around I did and the crap weather. Now I only wear Blundstone's as they seem to last really well and keep your feet dry. If you have some good socks on it also helps.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks for the tips guys, got into London a coupla hours ago and the sun is just coming up now (0830), I forgot about that part! Good to be back tho and I think I'll just spend today rolling around some familiar places and waiting to sleep tonight...

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Depending on when you're in the Veneto, you should be able to get to see some HEC or ML rugby in Treviso. Maybe even a 6N in Rome.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Update! about to head out for Hogmanay in Edinburgh - its fuckin cold but everyone seems to be wasted so it should be fine. Got tickets boooked for Edinburgh - Glasgow magers league game at Murrayfield on the 2nd which I'm really looking forward to, if for the atmosphere more than anything else (I know nothing of either team if anyone else does). I've had a look at fixtures for 6N and I don't think I'll make any unfortunately...

Anyway time to get off the computer and out onto the tiles or whatever they call it here.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Jnor, I'm sorry to have to break it to you, but; there is no atmosphere in Murrayfield. Certainly not for ML games. There'll be, tops, 10,000 there, in a stadium holding 75,000, and separated from the pitch by a running track.

On the other hand, afterwards, get into the Hebridean, just to the left as you come into the Old City off the bridge over from the station. Great pub.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Drop me a line before you get to Paris and we can head out for a beer. I will shout as I see that it's at the end of your trip when your purse will be empty.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well it was a pretty entertaining game - Edinburgh came away with it 28-17 but didn't win the local derby cup as it was based on aggregate scores from the previous game which they lost 30-18. Crowd wasn't huge as you said T78, but a decent atmosphere anyway - certainly more than was warranted by some of the skills on display... I guess you get that in the northern hemisphere :fishing

Thanks for offer PT, that'd be great. I think I'll probably be in Paris around the 20th of Feb but I'll PM you when I've got stuff booked.

Status
Not open for further replies.