• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Experimental rules/laws.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok we past halfway point of season and wondering about opinions of the experimental rules being played in Super. Personally I not really a fan of them in general.
In NZ the Refs challenge I dislike as I think we already got it covered with TMO anyway
The golden point extra time with draw is just rubbish in my opinion, bloody contrived results when you already have a perfectly good draw . In saying that I can live with one in a final where you have to have a winner or loser.
goal line dropouts I still not convinced.
Super in Aus same but add the 50-22 etc are the other stupid change .

Also what happens in TT comp, does anyone know?
Are games in NZ going to have refs challenges and ones in Aus 50-22? :D could be awfully confused players;)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Ok we past halfway point of season and wondering about opinions of the experimental rules being played in Super. Personally I not really a fan of them in general.
In NZ the Refs challenge I dislike as I think we already got it covered with TMO anyway
The golden point extra time with draw is just rubbish in my opinion, bloody contrived results when you already have a perfectly good draw . In saying that I can live with one in a final where you have to have a winner or loser.

Are games in NZ going to have refs challenges and ones in Aus 50-22? :D could be awfully confused players;)

Nope. With the exception of the 'Capt. Challenge' which is only applied in Super Rugby Ao. The rest have worked out really well. They were designed to maintain the general flow of the game and they've worked a treat. If you had to cut something for the TT. It's the 'Capt. Challenge'. That's it. As for the TT competition itself. You should be well aware of the goings on there. Surely you super secret but absolutely reliable inside source would have told you everything by now.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Only rule I don’t like is the captain challenge, that has been poorly implemented, I’m happy with the rest of the rule variations. Interesting listening people talk about the 50-22 last night at the game, most people seemed to be a fan of it as well.

Drop outs is a fantastic addition IMO

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Golden point should be win by 4 points plus or try. If a team wins by 3, comp points are for a draw and the extra 3 added to points differential.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nope. With the exception of the 'Capt. Challenge' which is only applied in Super Rugby Ao. The rest have worked out really well. They were designed to maintain the general flow of the game and they've worked a treat. If you had to cut something for the TT. It's the 'Capt. Challenge'. That's it. As for the TT competition itself. You should be well aware of the goings on there. Surely you super secret but absolutely reliable inside source would have told you everything by now.

You really are an idiot at times aren't you WCR? But by all means can show me where I have said anything about a secret inside scource I will of course apologise , otherwise I will just assume you are an idiot. becuase I happened to say what I was told by someone and that makes it a secret scource well f*** me. I mean we actually on a forum where evryone seems to be posting under anything but real names. so am I to take everything they say as lies?
Surely you don't have one rule for yourself and a different one for others as that would make you what they call a hypocrite as well as stupid!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You really are an idiot at times aren't you WCR? But by all means can show me where I have said anything about a secret inside scource I will of course apologise , otherwise I will just assume you are an idiot. becuase I happened to say what I was told by someone and that makes it a secret scource well f*** me. I mean we actually on a forum where evryone seems to be posting under anything but real names. so am I to take everything they say as lies?
Surely you don't have one rule for yourself and a different one for others as that would make you what they call a hypocrite as well as stupid!

You have tried to talk with some authority on the situation of the Fiji bid being contrary to what our media has reported. Being wrong because of some guy that while not being involved is somehow privy to what would otherwise be commercial in confidence discussions, which you claim has never steered you wrong telling you otherwise. And then acted like a dick implying others were gullible for putting more weight in the reporting of someone who by the nature of being a journalist can actually be called on their work but not taking your word for it from what comes across as someone trying to pass off their opinion as the facts of the matter.

Now, because you're being called on your shit you're getting all in a huff.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Only rule I don’t like is the captain challenge, that has been poorly implemented, I’m happy with the rest of the rule variations. Interesting listening people talk about the 50-22 last night at the game, most people seemed to be a fan of it as well.

Yep mate, well I think the line drop out is most likely to stay as both comps use it.Probably same with exra time which I have never liked and probably never will. As I said I really don't like 50-22 or whatever as I don't see how it improves game. But regardless I am interested to see what rules are used, as I once thought that any international games had to be played under full rugby rules if there no dispensation from WR (World Rugby). I could well be wrong and probably am, but that was once my understanding, you can have almost any rule/law variation in single country, but not with games between teams from different countries. But that was years ago, not sure you might be able to do it with seperate comps now.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You have tried to talk with some authority on the situation of the Fiji bid being contrary to what our media has reported. Being wrong because of some guy that while not being involved is somehow privy to what would otherwise be commercial in confidence discussions, which you claim has never steered you wrong telling you otherwise. And then acted like a dick implying others were gullible for putting more weight in the reporting of someone who by the nature of being a journalist can actually be called on their work but not taking your word for it from what comes across as someone trying to pass off their opinion as the facts of the matter.

Now, because you're being called on your shit you're getting all in a huff.

Not in a huff at all mate, you made a pithey little comment that I had claimed to have inside scource etc which is a lie. I don't actually really ever get in a huff, but just like to call out silly comments like that evey now and then. See I wasn't seeing how it added to the thread. But I repeat, show me where I ever said I has inside scource.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not in a huff at all mate, you made a pithey little comment that I had claimed to have inside scource etc which is a lie. I don't actually really ever get in a huff, but just like to call out silly comments like that evey now and then. See I wasn't seeing how it added to the thread. But I repeat, show me where I ever said I has inside scource.

You've mentioned some unnamed bloke who's told you things about the situation of the bid on a number of occasions. It's funny that while you seem to think you don't need to back up your position by providing anything, you are now asking for proof of your own words. You know you've said it. I know you've said it. Pretty much everyone else that has interacted with you on this topic knows you've said it.

As for the variations, technically both have already been given the go ahead for them from WR (World Rugby). So it will more than likely be both Unions fleshing out which ones they want to keep or remove. The TT comp. will still technically be 'domestic' so not impacting Test Rugby.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You've mentioned some unnamed bloke who's told you things about the situation of the bid on a number of occasions. It's funny that while you seem to think you don't need to back up your position by providing anything, you are now asking for proof of your own words. You know you've said it. I know you've said it. Pretty much everyone else that has interacted with you on this topic knows you've said it.

Of course I won't use my mate's name, I would in general conversation, but I don't know your name, or anyone else on this board, so according to your reasoning we are to ignore everything they say? Not sure how much info you give out to people you have no idea who they are, but:rolleyes:
And I certainly don't recall ever mentioning anything that person told me before ...Ever.
Listen I will say what mates opinions are when we discussing things, hell RN in same thing said what the vibe was from mates he drunk in pub with. It's how we get a feel for things, there are only what a couple of dozen people that post on here, is that all we use to get idea of how rugby is seen?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Of course I won't use my mate's name, I would in general conversation, but I don't know your name, or anyone else on this board, so according to your reasoning we are to ignore everything they say? Not sure how much info yu give out to people you have no idea who they are, but:rolleyes:

Then stop trying to pass it off as some kind of inside running.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Capt challenge: I'm already seeing it used as a Hail Mary maybe they'll pick something up if I challenge type of thing instead of a we was robbed by an obvious mistake type thing. It's already a time waster and I'm over it.
Golden point: Take last night's game as an example. The two teams were very evenly matched so what's wrong with a draw in this case? Can it except for finals.
Goal line drop outs: Who cares.
50-22, 22-50: I'm okay with this.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
That’s why I thought 4 point or more points to win the game. If a team wins by 3 competition points are a draw and aggregate scores stand. Chiefs highlanders shouldn’t have been decided like that. Challenge could be used for a breather before a defensive scrum.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Capt challenge: I'm already seeing it used as a Hail Mary maybe they'll pick something up if I challenge type of thing instead of a we was robbed by an obvious mistake type thing. It's already a time waster and I'm over it.
Golden point: Take last night's game as an example. The two teams were very evenly matched so what's wrong with a draw in this case? Can it except for finals.
Goal line drop outs: Who cares.
50-22, 22-50: I'm okay with this.

Well agree with everything but 50-22. They a shit idea , but I suppode if you want to encourage players to kick a bit more thay maybe good.
And this is a post by someone from another forum (and no WCR I not telling you his name:D)
I still have the same opinion re the golden point. It's the bastard child of a television marketing droid with no feel for the game.

Couldn't agree more and think the same about most of these laws/rules, if you don't like the game, f*** off and leave it to those that do!:mad:

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d be happier with a draw also, but if they insist on it, at least make it exciting.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I’d be happier with a draw also, but if they insist on it, at least make it exciting.

Just dump it!!
You know the other thing that pisses me with these f***en rules etc? Who it to attract, some new people who will never probably stick with game, and who's it putting off? The people who have followed and played etc etc the game all their lives!
If you don't believe me, go to your local rugby club, you know where the game is actually played. And ask the people there, I get the impression that a bloody good percentage will be saying well it not helping game.
Ok my rant for day, I love the game , and don't need a quick shot at end of game to generate a result or have other things to make me excited for 30 seconds on tv!:mad:

Ok that feels better.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think what a lot of those shitting on the 50/22 don't understand is it's that threat that has created the space for all the attacking rugby we've had in Super Rugby:AU. The 50-22 pulls 2 defenders out of the line, it strongly encourages those defenders to have a kicking game (to counter with their own 50-22. Plus if you watched the Reds vs Brumbies you would have seen how how much of an attacking weapon it can be on the counter attack, so it actually will eventually reduce and punish aimless kicking.

It's probably even more effective in Rugby than in Rugby Leage.

The Captain's challenge is silly, what's the TMO for, although it gives the refs a tool to get the players to put up or shut up.

Goal line drop out is good, it forces teams to be circumspect about going over the try line and perhaps reduce teams just rumbling once with 5m to go. It also encourages teams to kick and be more adventurous in the 22.

I'd like to see Golden Try in action to judge it, but conceptually I like it. My tweek would be that you can kick 3's and 2's etc. If one team scores a try the match ends instantly, but if no one scores a try the game finishes after the conversion attempt.

Red cards are pretty much perfect. My only hesitation would be that a RC also gets an extra week suspension unless the card is reviewed and not a card. This means at you'd get between 1 game 1 min, to 1 game 20 min. This means Red Cards are less impactful on the specific game but more impactful in general.

As for changes going forwards, I'd like to see the ball carrier more responseable for ball security, if the ball is knocked out in a tackle then it's 'off' the ball carrier regardless of who actually touched it. This would make the game fairer and more importantly much simpler to officiate.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Like most things new, Adam, I reckon the fans would have been supportive of the 50/22 last night because it was achieved by one of their own. As soon as an opposition player makes the same play, it will be criticised with calls for it to be binned forever. Just the nature of a large swathe of passionate fans.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think what a lot of those shitting on the 50/22 don't understand is it's that threat that has created the space for all the attacking rugby we've had in Super Rugby:AU. The 50-22 pulls 2 defenders out of the line, it strongly encourages those defenders to have a kicking game (to counter with their own 50-22. Plus if you watched the Reds vs Brumbies you would have seen how how much of an attacking weapon it can be on the counter attack, so it actually will eventually reduce and punish aimless kicking.

It's probably even more effective in Rugby than in Rugby Leage.

The Captain's challenge is silly, what's the TMO for, although it gives the refs a tool to get the players to put up or shut up.

Goal line drop out is good, it forces teams to be circumspect about going over the try line and perhaps reduce teams just rumbling once with 5m to go. It also encourages teams to kick and be more adventurous in the 22.

I'd like to see Golden Try in action to judge it, but conceptually I like it. My tweek would be that you can kick 3's and 2's etc. If one team scores a try the match ends instantly, but if no one scores a try the game finishes after the conversion attempt.

Red cards are pretty much perfect. My only hesitation would be that a RC also gets an extra week suspension unless the card is reviewed and not a card. This means at you'd get between 1 game 1 min, to 1 game 20 min. This means Red Cards are less impactful on the specific game but more impactful in general.

As for changes going forwards, I'd like to see the ball carrier more responseable for ball security, if the ball is knocked out in a tackle then it's 'off' the ball carrier regardless of who actually touched it. This would make the game fairer and more importantly much simpler to officiate.

The extra time variations come up so little that I don't see them as much of an issue. I'm going to go in the opposite direction and actually suggest more variations.

In MLR they are trialing the 60 second shot clock. Which is working well. I'd like to see it tried here. I also want stricter application of the use it call. As in there's none of the delay we see when 9s stand there for 5 seconds after being told to use it. It should be that if the ball is just sitting there and the 9s is there when 'use it' is called the ball must move immediately.

I also want to see tweaks to the advantage application. In the Top League many refs call penalty advantage but will remove it when play has progressed 25m down field. Keeps the flow of the game going nicely. Should be applied here. Same for kicking away advantage. You've got the call try to use it. If you kick it aimlessly down field (note there a difference between a cross field kick and just pointing down field) then it should be forfeited.

Nothing major. Just things to maintain the flow of the game.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Just dump it!!
You know the other thing that pisses me with these f***en rules etc? Who it to attract, some new people who will never probably stick with game, and who's it putting off? The people who have followed and played etc etc the game all their lives!
If you don't believe me, go to your local rugby club, you know where the game is actually played. And ask the people there, I get the impression that a bloody good percentage will be saying well it not helping game.
Ok my rant for day, I love the game , and don't need a quick shot at end of game to generate a result or have other things to make me excited for 30 seconds on tv!:mad:

Ok that feels better.
Mate, I agree. Unfortunately tv are the paymasters these days and if they say they will give you $X to show your game, but can you do this, that and the other, the people accepting the money are going to go along with it. In Australia anyways where we weren’t sure what the future held without fox. not sure why NZ are stuffing around with the rules that much when it’s the only show in town. As an aside, Anyone remember when they were having the soccer World Cup in America and CBS wanted the goals bigger and breaks so the could slot ads in? FIFA just said no. You wonder if they’d have more of a discussion 30 years later.