• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

FAO: QLDers - let's make Ballymore an icon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
QLD's 150th anniversary next year, so the state government are coming up with 150 icons across 10 areas.

Apparently your local pollie gets to decide the list to be voted on and then we, the people, vote on the top ten.

But I reckon we get Ballymore on there.

So, go http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/legislativeAssembly/members.asp?area=members&LIndex=1&Subarea=members, find your MP (Moana Pasifika), e-mail them and suggest Ballymore (and whatever other ones you reckon).

I reckon it deserves it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Good luck with it Nodster - it'd have to be a more fitting ground that the white elephant that is Concord Oval.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Noddy, if I was still living in Brisbane I'd be on to my state MP (Moana Pasifika) in a flash. Could you enlighten those of us in the Sydney wastelands how the move to Lang Park's gone. Ballymore takes, what, 25,000 chockers; how many times have the Reds topped that at Lang Park? Admittedly transport to Ballymore's a bastard but it's a much better ground to enjoy a game of rugby than Lang Park.

If you see a group of geriatric desparadoes gathering around the palm tree on the western side that's my old drinking team. :'( :'( :'(

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lindo,

Lang Park, or Suncorp Stadium as it's now known, is a fantastic venue, but it really needs to be at more than half full to get atmosphere. When it is full there is no better place to watch the rugby but that is never the case for Reds matches. Give me Ballymore anyday, but that won't happen whilst QR Rail ar the major sponsor.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
spectator said:
Lindo,

Lang Park, or Suncorp Stadium as it's now known, is a fantastic venue, but it really needs to be at more than half full to get atmosphere. When it is full there is no better place to watch the rugby but that is never the case for Reds matches. Give me Ballymore anyday, but that won't happen whilst QR Rail ar the major sponsor.

its being called "Brisbane Stadium" for the soccer for some reason. Must be some sponsorship conflict. Don't know why they don't call it Lang Park (Like the ABC still do). They keep promoting this game as being at Brisbane Stadium, Milton. Bizarre.

As to how the move is going? Originally (first year) they struggled. But this year I heard they were going great guns because of all the corporates they sold. Something they wouldn't be able to do at Ballymore. I think if they get over 20,000 its better than a Ballymore return (Capacity just under 25k I think). In saying that, people say "oh they got 17,000 for the Sharks v the Reds, that would be a full house at Ballymore". Not true, because that game would draw closer to 12,000 at Ballymore. I for one never miss a QLD game at Suncorp. If they went back to Ballmore I reckon I'd go to less than half. Sure its a great feel about it, but its hard as buggery to get to (and away from) and if you get a dodgy seat its really dodgy. Suncorp is a piece of urine to get into and out of and EVERY seat is top quality.

T

TOCC

I think the move has being a great decision, its unfortunate that the move to Suncorp Stadium has coincided with the downfall of the Reds the last few seasons, but it has still being quite a good move.

And i agree with Noddy, if the Reds get 20'000 to a game at Suncorp i think that would translate to barely 15'000 at a game at Ballymore. Ballymore is way to difficult to get to for people from the Southside of Brisbane, whilst Suncorp Stadium has bus and train transport with both being quite efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.