• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Farewell Stirling Mortlock

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The one and only Stirling Mortlock announced his retirement today.

After over 140 Super caps, amassing over 1000 points in the process, as well as 80 Test caps, with 29 as captain, he will be remembered as one of the greatest players of his generation.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
A sad day, but one we knew was coming. At his peak, one of the world's premier players and a great captain. I was always a huge fan and thought he conducted himself with class too.

Best of luck in your retirement Stirling.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Was one of those players I would have paid to see play regardless of the opposition or the importance of the game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My favourite Mortlock moment besides the intercept

Pretty much sums up his rugby philosophy

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yep top guy and top player, we do tend to miss these players when they go.

I think the Wallabies have already been missing having a fit and strong Mortlock to get us over the gain line since injury took its toll.

Great player and well respected captain - I wish him all the best for retirement.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I love Morty. A fantastic player.

Who can remember his debut year in 2000? Just missed the 1999 RWC and then was injured for the 2001 Lions tour, but made 2000 is own.

Set an Australian record of the quickest player to 100 test points I believe, in 5 or 6 tests. He had a couple v the Pumas early, on the wing and gees I remember thinking he looked slow and his kicking dodgy. But then he scored a couple in the "game of the century" and another in the re-match ("Ealsey's kick") and then obviously had his own Eales moment v the Boks a couple of tests later.

His injury in 2003 was a real blow, but I remember the difference he made to the side when he got on the park, notably the quarter final (was it?) v the Scots in Briso. And then of course there was the semi in Sydney.

There are two things I will always remember about Stirlo.

1) that he always stood up v the All Blacks, I think thats such a rare commodity. Guys like Matt Burke and Dan Herbert did it too. Even Sam Scott-Young. But Stirlo was their nemises far beyond the 03 intercept.

2) was that I was always staggered at how consistently he bent the defensive line. I think he just knew those innate angles as much as his size. He just seemed to pick the right place to run.

Such an inspirational man. Its actually a travesty that he goes out without headlines blaring across Fox Sports News and celbrated on the back page of the papers tomorrow. He deserves much more - an Austin video even!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Fine words Reg. Such was the respect that Morts commanded across the ditch that he was known by more than a few as the "Evil Wizard" (ref: Jed Thian). So many times in clashes with the All Blacks he played well.

A real talismanic figure out in the backs for mine.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I love Morty. A fantastic player.......I was always staggered at how consistently he bent the defensive line. I think he just knew those innate angles as much as his size. He just seemed to pick the right place to run.

And the same from me.

Forgive me for harping on about this but on the bending the defensive line and running angles bit I see much of that in McCabe. To me he looks like a Snorky mark II. The elbows-and-knees running style, the utter determination to get those few extra metres, even the all-body swerve, it's Snorky personified. I'd dearly like to see how Pat would go at 13 outside Barnes. Or JOC (James O'Connor).

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Ask most AB supporters and I think most of us would say that we were pretty happy that Deans hasn't seen the value in having Mortlock around the Wallabies the last few years.

Big, strong, fast and skillful.........I wished he was a kiwi at times....all the best to him.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
He deserves much more - an Austin video even!

Damn Straight. How many likes do you think it would take for Austin to make it?

My guess is not many, I think Morty holds a special place in Austin's heart (and username???)

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Great player... always exciting to watch... thanks for all the great rugby Stirling.... with the Brumbies and the Wallabies...

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I remember in 07 ( I think) I
Was in NZ and the wallabies had a win In the bledisloe. Every kiwi I spoke to had the utmost respect for the man.

Will miss watching Morty smash the ball up the middle, never taking any shit and putting his body on the line every night He put on the jersey. I hope he stays around and the same goes for sharpie when he retires.

Http://www.youtube.com/shiggins316

Status
Not open for further replies.