• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
BaaBaa, I think we, the public, have an endless store of hope that politicians will actually keep the promises that they make. We may get disappointed again and again but in 2 years time, we'll lap it all up again. You'd have to think that Tony couldn't possibly utter a promise again and be taken seriously, but I bet he will.

I think the problem is that both parties are do continually locked in struggle that neither feels that they can take a step back, take a longer view and think of doing business a different way - like only making realistic promises. What if the other guys are out there making big promises about the future? The fear of losing the immediate contest overrides any concern about the future.

Hope you're enjoying your trip

I think this is correct. The genie is out of the bottle now.

If I were a party leader I would go out of my way to avoid absolute statements like 'no new taxes'. It seems the word 'no' has been the cause of most promise-related trouble in the past few regimes.

And the trip is going great, thanks.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Work it out
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/work-it-out-20140517-38h7r.html

"Tony Abbott and Joe Hockey, please don’t take average Australians for mugs. Suggesting that politicians and highly paid executive members of the public service are somehow like your average salary earner is laughable. We don’t get fat superannuation packages to retire on. We don’t get fat expense accounts. We don’t get subsidised work travel. And we don’t get those subsidised meals in the parliamentary canteen.
To suggest that a freeze on your well-above-average salaries and benefits somehow means that you will be sharing the same pain the rest of us will be feeling with the proposed budget cuts is a joke.

The only thing is, none of us are laughing."

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have a workable solution for all the Government's issues.

People my age will remember a 70's TV show called Logan's Run. The simple solution for the government comes from the central idea in that show to manage the societies fixed limited resources.

Simply put if a person of any age is chronically ill, non-productive and cannot contribute monetarily to consumption, or is unable to work due to age, injury, education or skill base have them undergo the "renewal".

Simple. Budget fixed.

Reactions: BPC

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Well I think that only the governemnt has access to some data till it is published. Even then it doesn't always tell the truth unless you can look at te underlying assumptions.Take for example Swan's budgets each gave us figures that were crap. Yet each year for 6 years he says we are having a surplus.

Abbott comes in shows us the mess and ALP says what mess. What what many economists have said which is we we have a structural problem that not address will cause the problems that this budget has said may happen. More honest that the previuos 6 budgets which everyone except Swan and co knew were rubbish.

I thought when the election gets called and they go into caretaker mode both sides get access to pretty much everything. The reality is though the LNP would have known the situation as much as anyone anything less would be incompetence. The small target election strategy was pretty clear. That they are showing what they intended now and blaming it on Labor making things a mess is the same type of small target strategy they used in the campaign.

I don't believe in the Labor left a mess and we only have these choices to fix it story, I believe in the LNP have an agenda to implement and are doing so story.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think it's a bit much to say the Libs knew about the situation and still made their promises regardless. Not even because of the immorality of it, but just because it is dumb politics. No-one wants to break promises, that will always come back to bite you.

Had they known the situation was so bad they would have just phrased their promises differently to avoid backing themselves into a corner.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The boot's on the other foot
Conservative columnists taxed by political climate change
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/conse...-political-climate-change-20140516-zreyq.html

"The suffering of such opinion leaders is twofold. Not only will most be obliged personally to pay the deficit levy on Australians earning more than $180,000 a year, but they have also effectively been stripped of two subjects – class war taxes on the rich and the reprehensibility of broken campaign promises – on which many had formerly relied heavily for rhetorical ballast."

"Trust deficits, in this joined-up world we all inhabit, aren't just restricted to politics. They also accrue to the hyper-opinionated, especially those who adjust those opinions according to the political breeze."

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's a bit much to say the Libs knew about the situation and still made their promises regardless. Not even because of the immorality of it, but just because it is dumb politics. No-one wants to break promises, that will always come back to bite you.

Had they known the situation was so bad they would have just phrased their promises differently to avoid backing themselves into a corner.

I think that is a rather idealistic viewpoint.

I think that they wanted to be in power, and that they were prepared to do almost anything to achieve that aim, and damn the consequences.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

He has made the judgement call that the electorate is too fucking stupid to remember,by the time he goes back to the polls.

If there is less money than he thought,then he doesn't bash up the poor and welfare recipients,he drops the wealthy parents baby gift.

I still remember he being thrown out to the media to protect Howard doing something similiar years ago.
Remember core promises?

I recall one of the in dependants quoted him after the last election saying he would do anything but sell his arse to be PM.

The man has no morals.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I think that is a rather idealistic viewpoint.

I think that they wanted to be in power, and that they were prepared to do almost anything to achieve that aim, and damn the consequences.

A point which 8 by 5 and the Northern Beaches slush fund which has ties to Hockey has proven very well indeed.

My rant of 6 months ago about the system being corrupt and that even the few good people who become involved are quickly compromised by their ties to either party.

It impugns the integrity of the whole system that both parties have actively been blind to the rule bending and at times outright corruption of their colleagues. I always come back to the key point, if they really didn't know they are not very clever or enlightened and hence not qualified for the position. If they did, they are complicit.

I hope to see real reform and the dissolution of the two party system, the alternative is a steady decline into irrelevance of the system as it becomes totally unrespected and people opt out.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah but such large-scale promises aren't just made by Abbott, it is the whole cabinet involved.

And I don't buy the 'promise the world, damn the consequences' approach, because that would almost ensure they were a one-term government. With their position in the polls pre-election they didn't need such a hail-mary approach, it would just fuck them up down the road.

I suppose what I am saying is the people that made these promises are very intelligent and to make them knowing that this situation would unfold is very, very stupid indeed.

Now obviously some of you think they are dumb and greedy, so you think the opposite.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think that some them are the sharpest tools in the shed, and they are going along for the ride. They've hitched their wagons to popularity, and don't see, nor understand, how on the nose they are with the public (many metaphors, I know).

Some of them may be intelligent, or rat-cunning, but I think that the majority of them are not. Yes, I don't hold a high opinion of many politicians.

Some of these politicians seem beholden to the gravy train.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tony Abbott's trust deficit: has the PM underestimated the Australian people?

"But people never really bought the idea of an immediate crisis, despite the government’s best efforts."

"The challenge for the government is to avert a crisis of confidence in the electorate about what it is doing, and why. It may or may not have underestimated Bill Shorten and the Labor party, but it may well have underestimated the Australian people."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/16/tony-abbotts-trust-deficit

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't think that some them are the sharpest tools in the shed, and they are going along for the ride. They've hitched their wagons to popularity, and don't see, nor understand, how on the nose they are with the public (many metaphors, I know).

Some of them may be intelligent, or rat-cunning, but I think that the majority of them are not. Yes, I don't hold a high opinion of many politicians.

Some of these politicians seem beholden to the gravy train.

Well firstly these guys are hyper-aware of opinion polls so I guarantee they know how 'on the nose' they are at the moment.

I don't know how you have formed your opinion, but having worked with many pollies (albeit at state level) I believe that most of them, especially ministers, are intelligent and passionate about helping their community. To survive in the cut and thrust of politics you need to be sharp. To advance you need to be even sharper.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have a workable solution for all the Government's issues.

People my age will remember a 70's TV show called Logan's Run. The simple solution for the government comes from the central idea in that show to manage the societies fixed limited resources.

Simply put if a person of any age is chronically ill, non-productive and cannot contribute monetarily to consumption, or is unable to work due to age, injury, education or skill base have them undergo the "renewal".

Simple. Budget fixed.

But there's no allocation in the budget for implanting radio controlled jewels. Unless it is hidden in the NBN budget.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah but such large-scale promises aren't just made by Abbott, it is the whole cabinet involved.

And I don't buy the 'promise the world, damn the consequences' approach, because that would almost ensure they were a one-term government. With their position in the polls pre-election they didn't need such a hail-mary approach, it would just fuck them up down the road.

I suppose what I am saying is the people that made these promises are very intelligent and to make them knowing that this situation would unfold is very, very stupid indeed.

Now obviously some of you think they are dumb and greedy, so you think the opposite.

Except they had the pre - election economic forecasts from Treasury.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.