• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Federal Coalition Government 2013-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nah, Tony can dish it out but can't take it. Look at his little bitch fits about having to face a hostile Senate. Compare this to his conduct in opposition and tell me he doesn't have a glass jaw.

I would be more than happy to volunteer my services to see whether Tony can take a punch. I would like that very much.

Compare this to the standard he prescribed on Julia Gillard.

He might take you on as a boxing blue from University.

Don't tell me Gillard had a hostile senate. She "bought" the Greens vote.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't tell me Gillard had a hostile senate. She "bought" the Greens vote.

Others call this compromise.

It's how legislation is meant to get passed under a two house system.

We're not in some magical fairy world where if you don't win a majority in both houses it's acceptable to achieve nothing and just whinge that no one will pass your unpopular legislation.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
He might take you on as a boxing blue from University.

Do you mean like this?

best picture ever.jpg

Or was it more punching the wall type stuff?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

We're not in some magical fairy world where if you don't win a majority in both houses it's acceptable to achieve nothing and just whinge that no one will pass your unpopular legislation.
Abbot is a million to one to get anything of any substance through the senate.
IMO he has a limited intellect.
I literally laughed out loud when I saw his interview with O'Brien,where he stated that he cannot be held to any comments he might make that aren't "tightly scripted".
He is a flat track bully.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
What did you expect from Tony Abbott?
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/what-did-you-expect-from-tony-abbott-20140523-zri03.html

"While peals of distress issue from the electorate over the Federal budget, I'm moved to ask the 53.49 per cent of people who voted for the Coalition - "what did you expect?""

"While the rest of the globe battled debt crises and stagnating economies, did you sleepwalk through the election campaign? Do you need to be reminded who wears which colours on the field?"

"Conservatives don't get into politics to protect welfare benefits or uplift the poor, so why are you surprised a government comprised of them does neither?"

"The most dangerous porkies are the ones we tell ourselves."

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Budget could force young unemployed into Gloria roles - and worse

Letters

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/budget-could-force-young-unemployed-into-gloria-roles--and-worse-20140522-zrkyc.html#ixzz32WEgfKAq

"The Prime Minister appears to be surviving on a wink and a prayer at the moment. "

"I have always regarded him as a Winker."

"When I was young, “selling the message to the electorate” involved politicians knocking on constituents’ doors and speaking at local town halls (Letters, May 22). Politicians were heckled ceaselessly and politicians gave back as good as they got. There were some smart exchanges and there was nowhere for the politicians to hide."

"The Herald’s headline “Class war looms at unis” (May 22) surely had all sensible and fair-minded Australians gasp with anger and not a little bit of rage. Prime Minister Tony Abbott came to our country as a two-year-old with his family from England as assisted immigrants commonly known as “Ten-pound Poms”.
This country has served him and his family well and he has now achieved the top political job in our land with a great deal of help from his school and tertiary education (Riverview and Sydney University). Unlike the country of his birth we still like to think we are a classless society. Education is a great social leveller and if Mr Abbott persists in making university education hard even for middle-class Australians we will become a “Little England”.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)

As I have said before. Put the legislation up and let Bill knock it back The tide will turn on an obstructionist senate. Then go the double. But ALP will have another leader before the next election anyway.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Budget could force young unemployed into Gloria roles - and worse

Letters

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/budget-could-force-young-unemployed-into-gloria-roles--and-worse-20140522-zrkyc.html#ixzz32WEgfKAq

"The Prime Minister appears to be surviving on a wink and a prayer at the moment. "

"I have always regarded him as a Winker."

"When I was young, “selling the message to the electorate” involved politicians knocking on constituents’ doors and speaking at local town halls (Letters, May 22). Politicians were heckled ceaselessly and politicians gave back as good as they got. There were some smart exchanges and there was nowhere for the politicians to hide."

"The Herald’s headline “Class war looms at unis” (May 22) surely had all sensible and fair-minded Australians gasp with anger and not a little bit of rage. Prime Minister Tony Abbott came to our country as a two-year-old with his family from England as assisted immigrants commonly known as “Ten-pound Poms”.
This country has served him and his family well and he has now achieved the top political job in our land with a great deal of help from his school and tertiary education (Riverview and Sydney University). Unlike the country of his birth we still like to think we are a classless society. Education is a great social leveller and if Mr Abbott persists in making university education hard even for middle-class Australians we will become a “Little England”.

Could it be that press reports Gloria is an ALP official like the Granny form Brisbane so the depths the ALP will go. How many of the students in the protest where students? Could the fact that elections for students reps are on have an effect?

Send in ICAC

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
As I have said before. Put the legislation up and let Bill knock it back The tide will turn on an obstructionist senate. Then go the double. But ALP will have another leader before the next election anyway.

The way that TA is going I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced (nervous backbenchers, etc.).

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Could it be that press reports Gloria is an ALP official like the Granny form Brisbane so the depths the ALP will go. How many of the students in the protest where students? Could the fact that elections for students reps are on have an effect?

Send in ICAC

The amount of unsubstantiated claims you make on this thread is comical. How can anyone take Anything you type seriously when you are prone to such 'astute' observations as you have stated above?

And then you have the hide to trivialise important social issues, such as the link between decreased opportunity and increased crime.

I'm done with you pal. Don't trouble yourself for a reply, it will be ignored.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tony Shepherd is wrong - not all are doing budget heavy lifting

LETTERS

"The head of the Abbott government’s National Commission of Audit, Tony Shepherd, thinks it's a sad reflection on the modern Australian attitude that they can't see all areas have to make a contribution (‘‘Stop your complaints, says budget architect’’, May 23). Herein lies the problem with the proposed budget measures, Mr Shepherd. All areas are not making a contribution. "

"Tony Shepherd, Australians are happy to share the pain. What they're unhappy about is you and your friends insulating yourselves from any of the pain."

"What is it with Tony Abbott in his inability to accept manifest truths if they don't suit him? He continues to deny established climate science. More recently, he has denied breaking published pre-election promises, and today he has denied that his budget hits the poor and protects the rich ("PM rejects analysis showing poor worst hit", May 23). I fear we have elected a leader with a particular deficiency, maybe something like anosognosia. He needs help"

"Why not call him "One vote Tony" (Letters, May 23)? Someone in the Liberal Party made a terrible mistake."

"Elizabeth Farrelly's article on Thursday rose to the top of all the debate about the budget (‘‘If we don't have a planet, cost of a GP doesn't matter’’, May 22). The axing of ARENA, Australian Renewable Energy Agency, is probably the most egregiously venal and short-sighted decision of them all. The comparison with Germany and Norway made me want to weep; can anyone tell me why we can't model our economy on these European nations instead of doggedly replicating failed American policy? "

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/comment/smh-letters/tony-shepherd-is-wrong--not-all-are-doing-budget-heavy-lifting-20140523-zrm0r.html#ixzz32atBAMOZ

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tricks hidden by Hockey's fiscal juggling
http://www.smh.com.au/business/tricks-hidden-by-hockeys-fiscal-juggling-20140523-38ua0.html

"You have to look hard, but there are two logical sleights of hand in Joe Hockey's fiscal policy, as dutifully expounded by his Treasury secretary, Dr Martin Parkinson, in his speech this week."

"The first is the ''measured pace of fiscal consolidation''. (''Fiscal'' is a fancy word for the budget and ''fiscal consolidation'' is a euphemism for the spending cuts and tax increases needed to get the budget back into surplus.)"

"Parko's second point is that the budget measures involve a ''compositional switch'' in government spending. Hockey's cuts are aimed at ''transfer payments'' (transfers of money) that flow into consumer spending."

"Did you see the sleight of hand? You don't need to cap tax collections just to counter bracket creep in income tax. Hockey is making room for much bigger tax cuts than that. And there's zero guarantee the chief beneficiaries will be the low and middle income-earners who suffered most under the creep."

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Tele's sloppy journalism hurts our most vulnerable

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-...-journalism-hurts-our-most-vulnerable/5474222

"News outlets like The Daily Telegraph should get their facts right before they launch baseless and discriminating attacks on people with disabilities, writes Frank Quinlan."

"We need reform - indeed, disability advocates are seeking reform - but we need reform that is based on the facts, not populist mythology.
Unfortunately, the Tele is peddling myths that make it harder for people to achieve their goals of participating more fully in our society, and our economy."

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
^
I hear there's another boycott on the move against the Tele since they tried to deflect attention away from the Governments poorly prioritised 'eat the poor' budget by hammering disabled people.

It didn't help that their picture of seemingly able bodied "disabled" people was just a stock image from Getty Images.

It's just a taste of things to come though. The Tele and the other News Ltd mastheads are ultra-right wing warriors for the NLP... Some of the stuff they've put on their front pages will be used alongside "pravda" in future media studies classes prime examples of highly power aligned propaganda.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
There's a lot about the guy that is just petty, nasty and lacking in tact. The stories about his "negotiating" attempts in the 2010 election were legendary. Petty vindictiveness and aggression are his political hallmarks. I had initially hoped he'd prove people wrong when he got into power and take the high road on a few things, but immediately making himself "minister for women" (which was clearly just his way of saying "fuck you" to Gillard and all the women who didn't like him) made it pretty clear how he intended to use power to settle scores and help out his mates.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

You might have that back to front Runner. Bill will be there and Abbott is more likely to be rolled and Hockey has been turned to shit also. This could be the budget that has killed any chance of him reaching a higher office than his current one (Wow something good has come out of this budget). Just picture all the back benchers in self preservation mode tapping Turnbull on the shoulder to make a move.

Providing he could clean out the stench in the cabinet and freshen it up, I don't think this would be bad for the country at all.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
You might have that back to front Runner. Bill will be there and Abbott is more likely to be rolled and Hockey has been turned to shit also. This could be the budget that has killed any chance of him reaching a higher office than his current one (Wow something good has come out of this budget). Just picture all the back benchers in self preservation mode tapping Turnbull on the shoulder to make a move.

Providing he could clean out the stench in the cabinet and freshen it up, I don't think this would be bad for the country at all.

Less likely in the Libs than the poor ALP if NSW or Federal Labour are to be used as a guide on leader rotations.

Remember how many of the competent ones left at the last election so we really have a lot of the B and C team in ALP who to date have offered nothing. Eventually as the budget histeria dies down he community will want to see from Bill what he has and at the moment he has advocated nothing. Don't think that if that is what you think Abbott did that the community will wear it again from ALP.

As I have said before if the budget achieves its objectives and people see the pain isn't as bad as many of the shrilled voices of the left in the media and various lobby groups it will be a positve thing.

Also remember that the budget is only the 1st part in a three part set of actions. Include the Tax paper and the Federation paper and in three years the people may say that is OK.

To TahDan perhaps the voice raised against him by some women are the vocal groups from the minority of women. If there is this great female hatred by women and they make up 51% of the electrate then he would not have won the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.