• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fiji

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
These guys have gotta be favourite for the toast rack this year. Masterclass of keeping the ball alive!

Them and the Force for mine. The Drua were brilliant at the start last year but dropped off. They need to keep it together for the whole season (obviously).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Them and the Force for mine. The Drua were brilliant at the start last year but dropped off. They need to keep it together for the whole season (obviously).

They might run into issues if anyone figures out a way of forcing them to tighten up their game. Which will be the key to overcoming their running, offloading and support game. They appear to be better prepared this season. They have a good pack who can at the very least hold their own in the scrum and their backs are well. Their backs.

It will be interesting to see how the likes of QLD Country and the Force approach their games against the Drua.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
These guys have gotta be favourite for the toast rack this year. Masterclass of keeping the ball alive!

Brisbane were average but at the same time several of those Drua tries we're nigh on impossible to stop. Something I have noted they do brilliantly is hit the line at pace. It a basic principle but how often do you see Australian players receive the ball from a stationary position.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

I'll tell yers where the Fijians would've got beat: playing in low single digit temps at Viking Park last week.

But that's not going to happen this year. They've got a very sweet schedule with only three games in Australia. The team is also a lot better prepared.

Last year the Drua lost first up then built nicely into their work - until they were mercilessly thrashed at night time in icy Canberra. They were never quite the same thereafter, particularly after losing the bulk of their squad to international duties. Won't be the case this year.

I agree that the Force will also be up there bidding for the silverware, but …

In terms of talent, they're good but not at a clear level above the top Aussie teams. Where their edge is now is due to being well drilled, well coached and more cohesive after playing WSR. That edge reduces as the comp wears on. They also only have 3 home games to 4 for the likes of Qld Country and the Drua.

My money is on a semifinal and the final being played in Suva.

From there, as the Yanks say, do the math.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
They also only have 3 home games to 4 for the likes of Qld Country and the Drua.

I believe that home game advantage is somewhat watered down in this format. Just as an example Qld Country traveled to Townsville and played at a ground that most would never have seen. The crowd probably was cheering for them but it would have been foreign to that when compared to Ballymore. NSW country have the same issue. Travel to different parts of the country for home games

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I believe that home game advantage is somewhat watered down in this format. Just as an example Qld Country traveled to Townsville and played at a ground that most would never have seen. The crowd probably was cheering for them but it would have been foreign to that when compared to Ballymore. NSW country have the same issue. Travel to different parts of the country for home games

Probably not the case for Fiji though. Most of these guys would have played at each of their venues at one time or another via provincial Rugby.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There is a bit of a rumour that the Drua will be unable to host a final in Fiji due to broadcast reasons.

That's a blow for them if true and would also mean my pocket money from last month is gooone.

They can probably still win but it makes the task harder.

I wonder where they'd play … ?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There is a bit of a rumour that the Drua will be unable to host a final in Fiji due to broadcast reasons.

That's a blow for them if true and would also mean my pocket money from last month is gooone.

They can probably still win but it makes the task harder.

I wonder where they'd play … ?

They've not had any issues so far this season with broadcasts from Fiji. Why would it be an issue with the final if they earn the right to host it?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They've not had any issues so far this season with broadcasts from Fiji. Why would it be an issue with the final if they earn the right to host it?

I think it's a euphemism for saying FoxSports/RA don't want how Fiji would provide it.

Maybe they want a 19:30 AEDT kickoff (which would be at night in Fiji). Even a 3 pm AEDT kickoff might require broadcast quality ground lighting locally …

Or maybe they just want it in Australia.

Dunno. Bear in mind, this is coming from the rumour grapevine (albeit from more than one place) but with no official source as yet.

Reckon it might be the case but can't confirm it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think it's a euphemism for saying FoxSports/RA don't want how Fiji would provide it.

Maybe they want a 19:30 AEDT kickoff (which would be at night in Fiji). Even a 3 pm AEDT kickoff might require broadcast quality ground lighting locally …

Or maybe they just want it in Australia.

Dunno. Bear in mind, this is coming from the rumour grapevine (albeit from more than one place) but with no official source as yet.

Reckon it might be the case but can't confirm it.

Pretty sure ANZ Stadium in Suva has the lighting for such a broadcast. I'd be pretty put off if they deny the Drua the right to host the final for some rubbish reason after they earn the right to by being the the most consistent side in the competition.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It’s not broadcast issues. Well not directly. It’s if the Drua finish 2nd they would be down to host the semi final on Sunday. They can’t play rugby on Sunday in Fiji for religious reasons so would have to take that game off shore.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, when do you anticipate a game thread being opened for the Drua/Vikings game? I would do it myself, but I seem to have lost the privilege of creating threads.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It’s not broadcast issues. Well not directly. It’s if the Drua finish 2nd they would be down to host the semi final on Sunday. They can’t play rugby on Sunday in Fiji for religious reasons so would have to take that game off shore.

Right. Well, hopefully they finish first.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think an accommodation can be made that any Drua home semi should be played on Saturday. I can't see why the other semi-finalists would complain, unless the extra day's rest is a major issue.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Shouldn't be an issue for the semi as having finished first they'll play on Saturday am I right?

Anyway, really happy to see the Drua top the table. They have really grown into the competition very nicely and have vindicated the decision to include them. Would like to see WR (World Rugby) look to get either a Samoan or some kind of combined PI squad based out of Samoa involved in the near future.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Shouldn't be an issue for the semi as having finished first they'll play on Saturday am I right?

Anyway, really happy to see the Drua top the table. They have really grown into the competition very nicely and have vindicated the decision to include them. Would like to see WR (World Rugby) look to get either a Samoan or some kind of combined PI squad based out of Samoa involved in the near future.

correct. All systems go. Semi Final at Churchill Park, Lautoka next Saturday v TBC

Other one will on the Gold Coast Sunday. QLD Country v Force (most likely)

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Fijian World Cup squad will be dictated by how many Fijian players retire from international rugby to focus on their club. Must be something in the water in France, so much passion for their club scene over test rugby.

Status
Not open for further replies.