• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fijian Drua 2022

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think they're looking at QLD at the moment, but either way I think there will have to be a vaccination requirement for super rugby next year. I don't see anyway you can operate a cross border competition without it.
Yep will ne interesting to see how it affects all teams, only reason I mentioned Drua, I do know the Fijian test team didn't want to ave pro vax messages on jerseys.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Yep will ne interesting to see how it affects all teams, only reason I mentioned Drua, I do know the Fijian test team didn't want to ave pro vax messages on jerseys.
Yeah, I know hesitancy has been an issue amongst some islander communities and communication with them hasn't necessarily been handled well. It's far from confined to them though - the NRL is dealing with issues across all it's teams at the moment while trying to get a vaccine mandate in place for next season and it looks like they won't be able to get it there for players.

The flipside there is that new entities can push forward faster and with less concern on something like this when there isn't an existing apple cart to upset. It's much simpler to make this a condition of new contracts than it is to impose it upon existing ones.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really hope they don't have a problem with Drua or MP (Moana Pasifika) players, these ar 2 teams I really want to see go through without people thinking they are a problem or shouldn't be there.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Given they’re all new contracts, if it’s a stipulation of the contract to play for the team then it’s less of an issue. People know what they’re agreeing too.

If it’s forced on people after the fact, that’s often when the issues arise. I don’t see it been a big issue for those teams

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Given they’re all new contracts, if it’s a stipulation of the contract to play for the team then it’s less of an issue. People know what they’re agreeing too.

If it’s forced on people after the fact, that’s often when the issues arise. I don’t see it been a big issue for those teams
Yep mate, and just read somewhere that Fijian vax rates were real good. Just I had been worreid that some might have chosen to the strong anti vax sentiment that was there a few weeks back!

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
There's also a big difference between being vaccinated and actively promoting it on the front of your jersey.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's also a big difference between being vaccinated and actively promoting it on the front of your jersey.

There's a big difference between liking chocolate, and promoting on the front of your jersey. But professionalism dictates the WBs live through the experience.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tough roadtrip for the guys, but hopefully they have a good season.
Given style of rugby Fijians play they will be popular 2nd team for many. As well as Pi community should also attract some decent local support in qld for games. I suspect local PI community support will be important to help them get through long season away from home.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
i have been told the bulk of the Drua wil jet into australia next month and set up camp and will be there till super rugby 2022 ends..
Tough gig, but I hope the community really gets in and shows the love to them.. I know I will

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Looking increasingly likely they will be Queensland based, with Brisbane a strong contender, should be announced soon.

Sydney is currently an issue because of COVID. But given this is for season 2022 I wonder if the right call is being made regarding which state will free up the earliest.

I'll be keeping an eye for them all the same.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

The Fijian Drua has today unveiled the first five players signed by the Club for its debut Super Rugby Pacific season in 2022. Electric backline utility Napolioni Bolaca, Flying Fijians’ hooker Tevita Ikanivere, blockbusting winger Onisi Ratave, powerful loose forward Nemani Nagusa and rising star halfback Simione Kuruvoli are onboard for Super Rugby Pacific’s newest side.​

• 32 more players to be announced progressively over the next several weeks

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Watched Onisi Ratave for Bay of Plenty against Hawkes Bay yesterday in NPC, he scored two tries and was almost unstoppable when getting the ball while in motion. Very good signing for them

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Apparently 12 have already signed, another 10 will sign soon, 7's player Sireli Maqala is one of those apparently.

Coach and support team close to been locked in as well apparently, a few quality names been thrown about.

Drua also looking at a women's super rugby tournament as well, playing Aussie and NZ teams.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
That’s a shame Adam. Hopefully it might turn out okay in the longer run. These guys will get to Australia then, invariably, there will be a mixed level of success. Some of these guys might be ripe for transferring back to the Drua in 1-2 years.

I hope so anyway. That is a better outcome then losing them altogether.