• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fijian Drua 2022

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Thinking about it, if they're based in Brisbane all the Drua squad members will likely end up aligned with QPR clubs to get them game time when not selected. That's going to be one hell of an injection into the club scene, will be very interesting to see where they all end up.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thinking about it, if they're based in Brisbane all the Drua squad members will likely end up aligned with QPR clubs to get them game time when not selected. That's going to be one hell of an injection into the club scene, will be very interesting to see where they all end up.
Yeh good point - one way to turbo charge the Queensland club comp

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
ABC Pacific Beat interview with the incoming coach:

Mick Byrne has a challenge as lot of raw talent but not much pro xv experience amd bringing structure will be the challenge vs playing what is in front of you (latter where Fijian rugby at its best).

I don’t think drua will make the finals next year (but definitely because of raw talent won’t completely discount) but definitely expect rapid improvement in years to come where they could win it in couple of years. Fantastic that got pro fiji rugby team invoked b4 nrl did.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This is pretty exciting. I wonder where they'll be based? I have previously thought Sunnybank as it has a gym and all the facilities required. As for home games, you'd think Suncorp would be too big, I guess they could just use the bottom tier. Double headers with the Reds make sense though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Sunnybanks facilities are pretty average, would think most uni’s or even schools have better facilities.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Haven't been to the fields in a while. Was just thinking of a gym with rugby fields available next to it. Guess it gets far to much use currently to house a pro team too. Maybe they share Ballymore with the Reds? Or the school option could work.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Needs to be south of the river in order to connect with the PI community, I'd have thought. Just please not the GC. What's Griffith Uni's Logan campus like these days?

Edit: as a training base, obviously would gave to play out of Suncorp when at home (again, please not Cbus which is a nice enough stadium but carries with it the GC Kiss of Death).

Last edited:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
They'll want to be close to the airport to be frank. May well end up somewhere like Brothers or Norths. Perhaps Nudgee.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Bond do have good facilities, they bought the Titans original facilities when the Titans were on the brink of insolvency.

Universities(UQ, QUT, Griffith and Bond) and some of the private schools would have the best facilities outside the professional teams in SEQ.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bond have great facilities and Gold Coast Council love to splash the cash to bring foreign teams in. It’s just so far away from the airport. Unless they plan from to fly from GC. Or perhaps they are chartering from there?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To be clear, I am speculating - not based on information.
It will be announced soon..

Backroom staff announced today:
William Koong as Head Physiotherapist
Brad Harris as Assistant Coach
Glen Jackson as Assistant Coach
Peceli Derederenalagi as Team Manager
Nico Andrade as General Manager