• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Fijian Drua 2022

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
If they're based at Lennox Head Lake Ainsworth I hope they stay off the piss. I went to a uni function there a few years back which my liver is still recovering from. Hell fun though

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Yeah, 7 of the 12 teams. (Tahs, Rebs, Force, Blues, Highlanders, Drua and Moana Pasifika). The Brumbies even have a fair bit of blue.

This is what happens when marketing gets involved. Blue jerseys sell.

There is some merit to that marketing. Being a jersey wearing Reds fan in the 2000s/10s era of the neon red jersey was quite challenging for me personally. My fairer complexion didn’t exactly pop with the bright red.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1642732446913.png

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from Drua trial game in Ballina here

and review/season preview on front page

Looks like Josh Vuta as Blue half-back, but haven't seen his name in any team announcements.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Anyone know how many test players are in the Drua?

I wonder if we'll see Fiji RU put some restrictions on o/s players playing in their test team, in order to get more test players to come/stay at home. I imagine we would see their test team really rise in world rankings. Cohesion and all that.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Definitely won’t be any restrictions in the short term, Fiji is accustomed to pulling players in from overseas, maybe in a few years once Drua have matured a bit.

I think in a few years, ideally the core of the squad comes from the Drua, complemented with another 10 or so test players(their superstars) based overseas.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Worth noting the license was awarded fairly late so they didn't have the opportunity to sign up any of the top level Fijian talent in Europe and Japan who were apparently interested. That should start to change in the next year or two.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Drua have signed Frank Lomani :

He's signed on for 2022-23 and is set to join the squad this season, no details on exactly when though.
Well they just doubled the number of players with super rugby experience by signing Lomani but oh that’s right as stan sports commentators remind us a zillion times during a druas match they have players who are Olympic champions.

Going to need some more big name signings to get competitive which I imagine would happen as surely must be some homesick Fijian rugby players in Europe and Japan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Well they just doubled the number of players with super rugby experience by signing Lomani but oh that’s right as stan sports commentators remind us a zillion times during a druas match they have players who are Olympic champions.

Going to need some more big name signings to get competitive which I imagine would happen as surely must be some homesick Fijian rugby players in Europe and Japan.

And what is wrong with commentators talking about the Olympic experience? They’re gold medallist, it’s something they can be proud of and is certainly something that commentators should ackndolege and talk about, especially as most of the super rugby public wouldn’t be aware of who’s who.

Of course they need more Super Rugby/Test experience, they’ll get that by developing players and not just recruiting in big name signings.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And what is wrong with commentators talking about the Olympic experience? They’re gold medallist, it’s something they can be proud of and is certainly something that commentators should ackndolege and talk about, especially as most of the super rugby public wouldn’t be aware of who’s who.

Of course they need more Super Rugby/Test experience, they’ll get that by developing players and not just recruiting in big name signings.”
Gees never thought of that - developing players as well as recruiting back Fijians overseas. Lol thanks for that captain obvious.

The point was obviously that the former takes time whilst the latter provides obviously the more immediate short term fix given current large gap.

As for the gold medallist comment my tongue in cheek comment is only thing seeming to be mentioned to talk up players given not much other pro experience in the side. React as you will…I don’t need a debate on that so will let that one go to the keeper.

I have been very supportive of Fiji and openly called out I expect them to win the competition within 5 years which will involve luring back overseas Fijians as well as retaining /developing local Fiji talent. But short term fair game to start the obvious that yawning gap short term which yeh my point in isolation was part of the solution will be luring back Fijians from overseas (cough Lomani signing…cough)…

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Gees never thought of that - developing players as well as recruiting back Fijians overseas. Lol thanks for that captain obvious.

The point was obviously that the former takes time whilst the latter provides obviously the more immediate short term fix given current large gap.

As for the gold medallist comment my tongue in cheek comment is only thing seeming to be mentioned to talk up players given not much other pro experience in the side. React as you will…I don’t need a debate on that so will let that one go to the keeper.

I have been very supportive of Fiji and openly called out I expect them to win the competition within 5 years which will involve luring back overseas Fijians as well as retaining /developing local Fiji talent. But short term fair game to start the obvious that yawning gap short term which yeh my point in isolation was part of the solution will be luring back Fijians from overseas (cough Lomani signing…cough)…
Thanks

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ouch ,they didn't need this.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ouch ,they didn't need this.
Surely everyone like me wondering what he did - terminated makes you think pretty serious.