• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

For Sale: One Test 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I reckon he would have been pushing for a European deal after the 2015 world cup - would have been a nice audition over there in front of a lot of French club bosses. I think a lot of other southern hemisphere players might be thinking the same thing too...makes sense if they want to maximize their earning capacity whilst they are still able-bodied.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
There's hope for the guy. He has had a pretty rough week, and it could have gone one of two ways. He chose to come from the bench and play really well for the Rebels last night.

The first try for Hegarty last night was setup by JOC (James O'Connor) and I think he would have normally gone himself, and probably made it, but he chose the safer option.

If he's on a leash reasonably managed, I think he could change into an asset.

T

TOCC

Not that its likely to happen, but i think the best club for JOC (James O'Connor) to play at would be the Tahs under Cheikas tough love approach.. I hold my reservations about the Force, do they have the senior players to keep JOC (James O'Connor) in check? Is Foley really in a position to dictate the terms to JOC (James O'Connor)? If they weren't able to keep him in check when Sharpe and Pocock were there, what are the chances now?

We need to revert back to the good old days when the battles-carred flanker would give him a love tap on the chin every time he screws up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Don't agree. Some players have the vision and are facilitators, others are not. You will waste a good running outside back trying to make them into something they are not naturally.

To continue your statement, Julian Savea is a huge running threat, he requires defenders' attention. If Savea can develop his passing and supporting game, he could be anything. A second touch from him in a movement would be a real threat, much more a threat than a one out run.

Why not make Savea a 10?

Sure, you may succeed, but then again, you may not. If you succeed you may develop a good running 5/8, but he will never be a natural facilitator, and his natural running game will be curtailed somewhat. If you fail, you may have ruined a great outside back (or 12 or 13, whatever). Either way, you've lost a key outside back in the meantime.

If a Super XV wants to go down that road, good luck to them. But at test level, no way.

Now to the insanity of the previous situation...

What's more, why not do it in a key test series that only occurs every 12 years? That's before the following information:
1. He was trialled there a few years ago for a few games on an EOYT, and the same coach was quoted as saying "[he] is not a 10".
2. He played at 10 during the Super XV this year, and was poor - in fact, he was out pointed by Cooper, who had two charge downs leading to tries in the same game!
3. He is disliked by most of the players on the team (Wallabies or Rebels, take your pick), is known to have attitude problems, and frequently breaks team protocol.
4. You know he views himself as a "star" player, who generally looks to his own opportunities first.

You think this is just the player you want to develop in a key position in the team (in which he was little to no experience) in which he has to develop key combinations with other team members in a short period of time?

I hold my head in my hands at the amount of people on here who supported the JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 call.
He looked pretty good on friday

T

TOCC

Test players hating on each other... Gee that almost sounds like a "toxic" environment

T

TOCC

Well if that's what QC (Quade Cooper) was referring to,he must still be unavailable.
The same complaining senior squad members are still there.

The attitude of the players is a reflection of the management and coaching... It should never have been the role of the players to manage the actions of other team mates..

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
He looked pretty good on friday

Agree, but then it was a bit of a mess of a game. The Highlanders rolled over and let the Rebels forward dictate terms in that second half. The Clan looked like a contender for the spoon in that second half. JOC (James O'Connor) did well with the circumstances, but I wouldn't rush to conclusions from it.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair O'Connor has been particularly good at plays like the three on Friday and the one in the third test for some time. He's good in close and setting up players one out in those dynamic moments going to the line. It is his broader skills in controlling play and seeing broader space he lacks. He is very much like Giteau in that sense and like Giteau is an inside centre who can play 10 I think.

We all like Lilo for what he brings, but I have to say O'Connor would do it better. Instead we have to screw it up by playing our good players all over the shop.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I've always wanted to see O'Connor play 12. I thought in 2010 when Gits form was abismal that O'Connor should have been trialed in the 12 jersey.

It might not work out, but I think it would be more of a success than playing him at 10 or 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.