• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
At the time it was reported Jake Ball left Wales because his partner was living in Australia, True, it was reported as such. and Japan Top League presented an option which offered him more time at home with his family. I'm not sure how true that is. How about you? I only assume he went to Japan over Force because the pay disparity. Maybe.
I suspect he went to Japan for similar reasons most players go there - money, and less grind for that money.

Bearing in mind the Australian teams' low salary cap, how much money would you want to offer this bloke (rounded to the nearest 100k)?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I suspect he went to Japan for similar reasons most players go there - money, and less grind for that money.

Bearing in mind the Australian teams' low salary cap, how much money would you want to offer this bloke (rounded to the nearest 100k)?

Can only take him for what he said, anything more would be speculating. He even said he spoke to the Force before taking the Japan offer. I’d say an Australian club could offer him $300-$400k, whereas he will get double that in Japan.
"They play a four-week block in Japan and then there's a week off. So the plan was to go back every four weeks to lend a hand.

The upside is the lengthy break between seasons. Whereas Ball might have had four weeks off before reporting back to duty in Wales, the break in Japan is somewhere closer to four months.

"It’s about quality of time with family and that’s the big difference here."

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Can only take him for what he said, anything more would be speculating. He even said he spoke to the Force before taking the Japan offer. I’d say an Australian club could offer him $300-$400k, whereas he will get double that in Japan.
Indeed.

And "reporting back to duty in Wales" ? Yeah, nah, and thank your mother for the rabbits.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Will Sankey two years
Ryan McCauley one year

FXqf06oVEAAG0vY.jpg

The Western Force has secured its lock stocks, with Ryan McCauley and Will Sankey signing new deals to remain at the club.

McCauley joined the Force in 2021 and has become an important member of the second row having made 24 appearances over the past two Super Rugby seasons.

Having gained English Premiership experience with Exeter City during the previous off-season and enjoying consistent game time this year, the 25-year-old former Junior Wallaby has brought his game to a new level in 2022.

The 203cm lock can’t wait for the 2023 season to get underway after penning a one-year deal.

“I’m very grateful to re-sign and be able to stay at the Force for another season,” McCauley said. “It’s exciting to have Simon Cron join the club, as we’ve worked together before. I know the skillset he brings to the team, and I think he’ll complement the squad nicely.”

“I’m keen to continue developing my game here and give back to the Force, who I’ve grown to love during my time here.”

Fellow towering forward Sankey made his Super Rugby Pacific debut in Round 8 this year. The qualified carpenter heeded the call to join the Force while plying his trade.

Having previously played for the Canberra Vikings in the National Rugby Championships, 24-year-old Sankey has put pen to paper on a two-year contract after impressing in his three appearances during the 2022 campaign.

“I got a taste of Super Rugby this year, and I’m stoked to be involved with the Western Force for a couple more years,” Sankey explained. “I was on site as a carpenter when I got the initial call about potentially playing for the Force, so I grabbed it with both hands. It’s been a lifelong dream of mine, so it’s been great that it’s worked out the way it has.” “I’m hoping we can play some consistent rugby and climb the ladder. I’m ready to do my part and work hard for the club.”

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Damn....was hoping to hold onto Michael McDonald. All great servants of the club. Particularly Godwin and Stander. Good luck and happy trails.

westernforce-post-2022_07_18_17_30.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Where are McDonald and Stander going?
Stander I would think into retirement as his wife runs a very successful business in Perth.
Brynard has always put in his best effort for the WF and really earned his Nathan Sharpe medal in 2018.
Best wishes for all future endeavours bloke!

I personally rank McDonald and saddened by his moving on. He's a fine young man...
He declined Australia A selection as he didn't want to impact possible Ireland selection.
For various reasons, that aren't obvious/known to me, he struggled for selection/game time for both the Waratahs and the Western Force.
He always added new life to the team when he came onto the park, for very limited game time, during 2022.
I wish him every success and hope that we see him back in the West.

It's no wonder that we lose young talent when they can get no game time under our current structures.
We desperately need increased opportunities for developing players between Club and Super Rugby.

Last edited:

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Stander I would think into retirement as his wife runs a very successful business in Perth.
Brynard has always put in his best effort for the WF and really earned his Nathan Sharpe medal in 2018.

I personally rank McDonald and saddened by his moving on. He's a fine young man...
He declined Australia A selection as he didn't want to impact possible Ireland selection.
For various reasons, that aren't obvious/known to me, he struggled for selection/game time for both the Waratahs and the Western Force.
He always added new life to the team when he came onto the park, for very limited game time, during 2022.

It's no wonder that we lose young talent when they can get no game time under our current structures.
We desperately need increased opportunities for developing players between Club and Super Rugby.
It's a strange one as I haven't heard any chatter of him getting picked up by an Irish province

Alex Ross (28)

He would have got plenty of game time (well more) if he stayed at the Tahs for 2021 given the injuries. Hindsight is always 20:20

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure where this post belongs, but RugbyWA have released some numbers about the level of schools engagement they've been doing. There is real effort in terms of broadening the base of the game here and it's to be applauded. BTW, North and South reflect relative position in terms of the Swan River, that great dividing line in our fair city.

1658220106079.png

Alex Ross (28)
To move to Ireland and keep himself eligible isnt I expect about the easiest path to a RWC. It’s not like anyone has 9 locked down in Aus at the moment and there are some pretty bloody handy 9’s in Ireland.
I think what there is to be read from this is he’s a passionate Irishman. So good luck to the lad.