• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force 2023

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you set the game play up with Stewart given a reasonably free take to first receiver from 12, ditto Heggarty from 15, then the 10 should have plenty of flexibility. It's not hard to imagine 10 dropping back in D, with Stewart defending the channel. It's been said often, but it isn't all about the number on their backs.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I reckon I'll keep my powder dry until the other 10+ positions in the squad have been confirmed.
There is also a lot of talent available in the WTG.
I'm interested to see what focus Simon Cron has now that he's effectively on deck.
Pleased that he's available to watch some local Club Rugby.

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Issue with all these signings is the transient nature of the place. Despite the signings I expect them to continue to struggle.

Equalizer

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Cron on board has already contributed to a few signings heading West. Expect more in the future and once the team is established as a powerhouse in the competition the Force will become the destination of choice.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Issue with all these signings is the transient nature of the place. Despite the signings I expect them to continue to struggle.
Thanks J_C, glad you understand the impact of the WF being axed from Super Rugby after the 2017 Super Rugby season.
At least the WF now has 4 more seasons assured under the current participation agreement.
I can't imagine that there are many players with an horizon that far out.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
New Western Force coach Simon Cron promises a cut-throat side as he rebuilds ahead of new Super Rugby season

From Nick Taylor at The West:

New Western Force coach Simon Cron has made it quite clear he will not accept second best from his rebuilt side ahead of the new Super Rugby Pacific season.

“We’ve got to be cut throat. Great teams don’t leave trophies behind. Fact,” said Cron.

Cron has replaced Tim Sampson who led the Force return to Super Rugby after their controversial 2017 culling.

A former junior Wallabies coach, Waratahs assistant and Shute Shield winning coach with Norths, Cron moved from Japanese club Toyota Verblitz where he worked under New Zealand World Cup-winning coach Steve Hansen.

In his first interview since arriving in Perth, Cron revealed he will hold players to account and is still looking to fill key positions.

“Close enough is not good enough. Our goal is to win,” he said.

“Sometimes we pat ourselves on the back and say we were close.

“If my player group at any point said ‘second is OK’ we’ve lost before we start.

“Right now I need winners..

“I’ll hold them accountable to what they’ve agreed too.

“There’s no good having words on paper and not live up to it.”

They are words that reflect Cron’s competitive nature.

“Even if I was coaching under-15s C grade I would want to win,” he said.

“I’ve given a speech, ‘when you play your girlfriend at darts - win’.

A number of high profile players retired and others moved overseas after last season and while Cron is happy with the squad he still needs a prop, a second-rower and a centre.

“We had a lot of turnover for a number of reasons but I’m excited about the boys I’ve got now,” he said.

“We’ve got to be smart around how we recruit, clear on who we sign. We have to think outside the box.

“If you want to be 110 per cent and the best you have ever been, come. If you are at 99 per cent don’t bother.

“The reality is, as much as we talk about the past, the only people who can change where we sit in the world is the current playing group, the current coaching group and the current management.

“We need to look at where we’ve been, where we sit right are now, where we are going, who we want to be, how we get there.”

Cron is still talking with former Brumbies and current Wallabies front-rower Scott Sio who has also been offered a deal with Exeter.

He wants to bring homegrown centre Curtis Rona back from London Irish.

Cron said Rona, who he coached at the Waratahs, wants another crack at the Wallabies to add to his three 2017 appearances before the infamous falling out with then coach Michael Cheika.

Cron uses an unusual acronym to describe the type of side he wants: NTR - No Talent Required.

“We want to be the best NTR team,” he said.

“There are things that need no talent but that we need to win.

“If there’s a ball on the ground you dive on it, our reload speed, our first five steps need to be a sprint, kick chase, kick pressure, retrieve speed, staying in the line.

“It’s about simple things. It’s the mindset to do those things better than anyone else that makes the difference.

“We can all do those things. We need to do them better than anyone else.

“The type of game we want to play is ball beats man.

“We a need to have the skillset across the park.

“I want my boys to have the confidence to stick and shift and put the guy down the edge and score.”

A new forwards assistant coach is expected to be announced shortly

“We have gone worldwide. We are down to the final two,” Cron said.

“I want to surround the players with the best.”

Read More

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Campbell Parata played well for Tasman on the weekend, definitely another option for the 10 jersey. He is older than Pasitoa so should be ready

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Chance Tiatia looked good at 15 for Hawkes Bay and Manasa Maetele at 14 was also good for Canterbury.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Lewis said they had discussed whether Force players could move to Montpellier on a “medical joker” that allows players to join a French club as a short-term injury replacement.
“If we were chasing the same player, is there an opportunity to do something together?
“Could we have a four-year contract, two years with us and two with Montpellier?”
“One of the things we’d like to do is have three matches against the Montpellier academy in the August window.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Backline looking better, still short a a few starters though. If Hegarty plays flyhalf then you need a fullback. Or if Stewart plays flyhalf you need a centre.

If Rona gets signed that helps with the big bodied outside back also, as still short a winger at the moment.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Backline looking better, still short a a few starters though. If Hegarty plays flyhalf then you need a fullback. Or if Stewart plays flyhalf you need a centre.

If Rona gets signed that helps with the big bodied outside back also, as still short a winger at the moment.
Tiatia will be full back

I am thinking Stewart at 10, Kuenzle 12 and Hegarty bench cover. Mataele and Pulu wings. So yes Rona still needed.