• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs B&I Lions - Wed. 5 Jun

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What an overreaction. I count 2 non-capped Force players starting. That's the Force. 5 uncapped on the bench.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Bowside, your argument would make sense to me if it wasn't for history proving you wrong.

Every time anyone talks about coaches, past or present, what is the one thing that gets added after their name in brackets to "rank" them?

W/L percentage.

I'd argue history remembers what they won above their W/L percentage. Nick Mallet has a better coaching record with the springboks than Jake White, but he never won a World Cup with them.

But none of this really matters because we've already established this isn't about the coach. It's about the team, and the Force legacy. No one remembers how many games Queensland won in 1971, but they sure remember that they beat the Lions.

Ask a Munster fan how many games the team won in 1978; they won't know. But they will know that in 1978 they became the only Irish team in history to beat the All Blacks.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
They're pretty much not. There'll be a Western Force team, but they won't be the Western Force.

I think my reaction is entirely justified for a guy travelling the length of the country to see this game. A belting is only fun for a while.

I maintain that the Force would have gotten a lot more out of maybe being the first Australian provincial team in donkey's to beat the Lions, than bending over against the Lions and maybe running the Tahs close.

come on Stu,we all know you just came over for the piss,the game is irrelevant--just ask an Innforcer:)

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
I honestly don't get why there is even an argument for Super Rugby (ESPECIALLY when you're at the bottom of the ladder) over a Lions match. This happens once every 12 years. 12 bloody years. Not 2 times a season.

The Force have nothing to gain out of beating the tahs. They have everything to gain from putting on a show against the British and Irish Lions. As a struggling brand they should be doing everything to grow a loyal fan base, grass roots following, team culture and exposure to the masses. To sacrifice any of this is not only extremely short sighted but an insult to those who support the team and are making the effort to go to the game.

If you think otherwise then you don't understand that there is more to professional rugby than simply winning.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
What an overreaction. I count 2 non-capped Force players starting. That's the Force. 5 uncapped on the bench.

16 of the 23 have played 15 Super caps or less. That's not a team worthy of this event.

Though, I suppose the WA amateur team was good enough for the Lions to face last time...

GunsGermsRugbyandSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
Shame this match will be nothing more than a training session for the Lions as it would be good to have a proper run out. However, unless Im mistake the Aussies will not have any warm up matches either will they?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Force may well be cellar dwellers in an 18 round comp, but they are capable of beating some of the best teams in rep rugby on their day, and that means they had a shot at glory v Lions.

Foley is hedging his bets. Not good in team sport built on confidence.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
Correct me if I am wrong.... But the 71 reds is the only Aussie provincial side to have beaten the lions? Sorry I'm a queenslander and I can't help myself :)

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Force may well be cellar dwellers in an 18 round comp, but they are capable of beating some of the best teams in rep rugby on their day, and that means they had a shot at glory v Lions.

Foley is hedging his bets. Not good in team sport built on confidence.

Such a good point that I didn't even think of. With a full strength team (minus the gypsy with a mortgage) they have been giant slayers.

Woodenspoon

Herbert Moran (7)
Needless to say, I'm very disappointed about the choice to line up a team full of reserves and players we'll see with the Force jersey on just for this game.
And they booked a 43,000-seat stadium to do that o_O
Moreover there's no guarantee the 'tahs will play with their weaker side next friday and, if they did, their squad has enough depth to give us a double upset.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I just saw the lineup the force are trotting out tomorrow. Bit disappointed. Its a kick in the guts to fans who bought tickets to this game. I really cant understand the decision particularly when the force are well and truly out of finals contention and should merely be concentrating on entertaining their fans at this point in the season

Status
Not open for further replies.