• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Foreign recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

The figure of kiwis moving to Australia annually is actually 55'000, with a net loss of 39'000(subtracting those who move home).

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
You have Sekope Kepu who was born in Aus but spent most his life in NZ playing NZ schools, u19s, u21s and is now a waratah and wallaby.

And Jack Lam who was born in NZ and spent most his life in oz playing Aus Schools, u19s and now plays for the Hurricanes.

Therefore Lam has been developed from the Aus rugby system only to return to play in his country of birth, same as Kepu

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
You have Sekope Kepu who was born in Aus but spent most his life in NZ playing NZ schools, u19s, u21s and is now a waratah and wallaby.

And Jack Lam who was born in NZ and spent most his life in oz playing Aus Schools, u19s and now plays for the Hurricanes.

Therefore Lam has been developed from the Aus rugby system only to return to play in his country of birth, same as Kepu

i read a article somewhere with kepu saying he always wanted to play for the wallabies and always went for them whilst at school and coped crap for it. Even though he was raised mostly overseas, if what was written is true im more than happy for him to be a wallaby

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Southsider, I am completely happy with anyone playing for whom he chooses, even if he wanted to play for All Blacks or Wales etc as a kid, so long as his heart,same as Harris, Cooper or whoever is committed to team they playing for.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
It's confirmed Kerr-Barlow picked for AB tour to NH cap him once to keep him away from Oz.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'd be pretty interested to know who Andy Ellis pissed off and how..

Good luck to Kerr-Barlow, regardless. Good young player, and I'm certain he won't be a one-cap wonder.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Ultimately, its a professional game and players will move to where they have the best opportunities.

The reality of sport in Australia is that we are going to lose a ton of athletes to AFL and NRL just because of the level of general public support and media exposure they have. Recruiting Kiwis who want to play at an super (and potentially international) level and are willing to change allegiance to the Aussies fills that gap and is appreciative of the professional nature of the game.

I don't see any problem trying to get the best available players from other nations if they're willing to come over here and be resident and contemplate playing for the Wallabies. It may be that they will blossom under Australian coaches in a way they could/did not under New Zealand ones.

Ultimately, I want the best possible players playing for my Super team and the Wallabies. I don't care if they were born in Australia or New Zealand or outer Mongolia. If they become a naturalised Australian, they're an Australian.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
we should all just be thankful we dont have somthing that is similar to the farce that league has when it comes to international eligability

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
we should all just be thankful we dont have somthing that is similar to the farce that league has when it comes to international eligability

Amen but I would like to see it a little more lax if terms of representing more than one country if you're cross qualified.

Imagine if Luke Romano's career as an AB doesn't work out (I think it will). He would be amazing for Italy who have been pursuing him for years.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's confirmed Kerr-Barlow picked for AB tour to NH cap him once to keep him away from Oz.
I hope they do. Had the pleasure of seeing him work at that goal since he was in under 8's. It would be sensational for me and many others to see him get that cap and we look forward to having a beer to celebrate his achievement.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If they wanted Harris, they should of signed him.

Hanson has a big mouth but in fairness it feels bad to dump on him in the present as he just lost his old man and that emotion is enough to make a bloke say some silly things in the moment.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If they wanted Harris, they should of signed him.

Hanson has a big mouth but in fairness it feels bad to dump on him in the present as he just lost his old man and that emotion is enough to make a bloke say some silly things in the moment.

Fair enough but it's not the first time he's shot his mouth off. He's free to do it at the moment given the performance of his team over the past year or so but I can't wait until he loses a couple, especially if it's to us.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Amen but I would like to see it a little more lax if terms of representing more than one country if you're cross qualified.

Imagine if Luke Romano's career as an AB doesn't work out (I think it will). He would be amazing for Italy who have been pursuing him for years.

I'm a bit torn on this issue. On the one hand I think it's sad that someone like Isa Nacewa is lost to the international game. Played once for Fiji when he was 21 and apparently didn't realise it would disqualify him from playing for NZ but at the same time it's was his choice not to play for Fiji anymore.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to see international rugby becoming a mercenary sport where countries like Japan are recruiting ex ABs or other Tier 1 players who've finished representing their country. I think the fact a player knows they can only represent 1 country is a good thing in terms of making them think about which country they want to play for.

Nacewa's story is probably a good reminder for young players who are qualified for more than one nation to think carefully before deciding who to represent.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
maybe somthing like a tier 3 nation can pick up a tier 1 player (if they are eligable of course) helps build up the struggling teams and wont effect the overall rugby landscape as much

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm a bit torn on this issue. On the one hand I think it's sad that someone like Isa Nacewa is lost to the international game. Played once for Fiji when he was 21 and apparently didn't realise it would disqualify him from playing for NZ but at the same time it's was his choice not to play for Fiji anymore.

On the other hand I wouldn't want to see international rugby becoming a mercenary sport where countries like Japan are recruiting ex ABs or other Tier 1 players who've finished representing their country. I think the fact a player knows they can only represent 1 country is a good thing in terms of making them think about which country they want to play for.

Nacewa's story is probably a good reminder for young players who are qualified for more than one nation to think carefully before deciding who to represent.

Nobody wants to see that I more mean there's a heap of good PI players capped for the ABs and Wallabies (and recently France and England as well). If these blokes are unnamed for a couple of years wouldn't it be great to see them play for their country of ancestry?

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Enforcer, I couldn't agree more. I think the way around excessive poaching is to have a requirement of a few years international inactivity, and pre-existing eligibility (e.g. Grandmother rule).

You'd still get some unsatisfactory results where big teams picked up players from smaller teams (like say the ABs went after Paul Williams when he played well for Samoa in the world cup), but it would iron out most of the more objectionable possibilities.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
As much as I enjoy your comment I'd say that at worst the PI take more Kiwis now and at best there's a symbiotic relationship going on.

You can't have half your team developing through Kiwi pathways and claim they're pitching your players.

Indeed so. New Zealand rugby benefited from PI immigration for decades. Now Australia is benefiting from it, and not just from the PI but from New Zealand, due to our prosperity. We can't stop these kids from playing rugby. We should hope to see more of it and scr*w Hansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.