• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France - 6N Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So no one give Wales a chance?
One poster is a small sample so it's a bit much to suggest nobody gives Wales a chance.

I've written earlier in the thread "If France can be somewhere near their RWC Final form (a big "if") I think that France will win the 6N this year. With England rebuilding their team, and their mojo on and off the field, Wales and Ireland should be the main challengers, though the Poms have so many professional players to pick from, you never know."

As we saw in the RWC and after: Ireland beat Oz convincingly, then Wales smacked them in the Q/Fs and nearly beat France with 14 men in the Semi. Wales looked good for 6N at that time should anybody have been thinking about it, but they went off the boil after that. They played poorly in their last two games of the year, both against Oz.

But paddy is right: some of the Wales teams in the Magners and the European games have looked flat and not least because some of the best Wales players have been off top form as well.

Yes, I give Wales a chance, but they will have to get back some of the form they had in the RWC trial games and in the RWC against South Africa, Ireland and France.

No, I don't know if they will do that, or not, either.

H

Hiliadan

We're getting closer !! What do you expect for the score of the France - Italy ?

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
In a very Lièvremont-esque move, PSA called in David Attoub for the matchday 23 (only 7 will be in the bench, though). Also, after Millo-Chlusky's injury, Nallet was called up, and then selected over Pierre (I'm ok with that).

The group of 23 is:
Props: Poux, Mas, Debaty, Attoub
Hookers: Servat, Swarsczewsky
Locks: Nallet, Maestri, Papé
Backrowers: Bonnaire, Dusautoir, Harinordoquy, Picamoles
Scrum-halves: Yachvili, Parra
Fly-halves: Trinh-Duc, Beauxis
Centres: Fofana, Mermoz, Rougerie
Back-three: Malzieu, Clerc, Médard

So the ones left out are:
Props: Barcella, Ducalcon
Locks: Pierre
Backrowers: Ouedraogo, Nyanga
Centre: David
Back-three: Poitrenaud, Palisson

Not really a lot of surprises. Barcella and Ducalcon didn't impress PSA so he decided to leave them out (Barcella still out of form, Ducalcon is crap). Pierre is crap too (he's not an expert lineout jumer, though a bad scrummager and not so good on the loose). David shouldn't have gotten the call up in the first place (he's Fritz's (the bets centre in the Top 14 for the last three seasons) replacement in Toulouse), and Palisson hasn't played much since the WC for Toulon.

Poitrenaud should have gotten a spot on the bench, imo, instead of Mermoz or Fofana, and at least one of Oued and Nyanga should have stayed, probably in place of Harinordoquy who is coming back from injury and not playing well the little he is playing. In the next games, Bonnaire will probably be "eased out" (he has said this would be his last 6N).

Much of the team is settled, I would say. The sure spots are:

1. Poux (not impressive, but always reliable)
2. Servat (would start anywhere)
3. Mas (would start almost anywhere)
6. Dusautoir
7. Bonnaire
11. Malzieu
13. Rougerie
14. Clerc
15. Médard

For the rest, I think it is safe to assume that Maestri will get his first cap off the bench, so 4. Nallet and 5. Papé. Also, as Beauxis seems to be the only full back cover, he will probably start on the bench, making 10. Trinh-Duc the starter.

For 8, I''d say it's pretty much of a toss-up, the same for 9.

12., I'd start Fofana, I think it is a suitableg game for him, plus playing besides Rougerie as every saturday will be good for him in his first cap.

For the 17. shirt, Debaty will probably be prefered over Attoub, as Attoub plays only 3 and Debaty is equally aweful at both sides of the scrum.

For the line outs, I think the coaching team see Maestri as the successor of Bonnaire and Hari in the lineout leader role, so we may see a lot of him once he comes on. He is the first french player over 2.00m tall in years, and he's a very skillful jumper.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Squad just announced:
15. Médard; 14. Clerc, 13. Rougerie, 12. Fofana, 11. Malzieu; 10. Trinh-Duc, 9. Yachvili; 7. Bonnaire, 8. Picamoles, 6. Dusautoir (cap.); 5. Nallet, 4. Papé; 3. Mas, 2. Servat, 1. Debaty.

Major call to play Debaty from the start

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Delighted Fofana is getting a start he could be one of the sensations of this years 6Ns if he replicates his club form.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If France go with more of a development squad for their summer tour then both will probably see the writing on the wall and call it a day.

S

spooony

One poster is a small sample so it's a bit much to suggest nobody gives Wales a chance.

I've written earlier in the thread "If France can be somewhere near their RWC Final form (a big "if") I think that France will win the 6N this year. With England rebuilding their team, and their mojo on and off the field, Wales and Ireland should be the main challengers, though the Poms have so many professional players to pick from, you never know."

As we saw in the RWC and after: Ireland beat Oz convincingly, then Wales smacked them in the Q/Fs and nearly beat France with 14 men in the Semi. Wales looked good for 6N at that time should anybody have been thinking about it, but they went off the boil after that. They played poorly in their last two games of the year, both against Oz.

But paddy is right: some of the Wales teams in the Magners and the European games have looked flat and not least because some of the best Wales players have been off top form as well.

Yes, I give Wales a chance, but they will have to get back some of the form they had in the RWC trial games and in the RWC against South Africa, Ireland and France.

No, I don't know if they will do that, or not, either.
Wales fields what looks like easily the best backline in the tournament in 2012, and with solid leadership up front are real title contenders. The only question mark hanging over this team is the lack of experience – which was exposed in their semifinal against France at the World Cup.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As a Clermont fan it's good to see both 1. Debaty and 12. Fofana in the starting side. Of all the French players I am looking forward most to watching Fofana. Debaty hasn't played for France for about 5 years and I didn't think he would get another chance at his age because hasn't played much rugby at any level in that time; so it's it's a big call by PSA. Since 2. Servat and 3. Mas are noted scrummagers it will be interesting how the France scrum performs, or more particularly: how Debaty goes against Castro.

As I expected FTD got the starting 10. jersey but I am sure that Beauxis will get a start later. FTD was poorly used by Lievremont in the RWC. Yachvili starting at 9 I also expected but Parra will get his chance later too and by next year should be starting permanently.

Picamoles has been in the form of his life in the games I have seen and deserves his starting spot ahead of the more versatile Harinordoquy. I see they have picked old Nallet again after not being in the original squad, but new guy Maestri, who Manuel mentioned, will get a shot from the bench.

sudrugby

As Manuel mentioned: if 12. Fofana starts it is always best if Clermont team mate Rougerie is at 13. Perhaps debutant Fofana is getting the run on game because France is playing Italy (even though they lost to them last year.) Mermoz, who has been in good form too may get the 12 shirt in a subsequent game in which case he could be paired with a different outside centre.

Replacements: Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Francais), Jean-Baptiste Poux (Toulouse), Maestri (Toulouse), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz), Morgan Parra (Clermont), Lionel Beauxis (Toulouse), Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan)

That is a bloody strong bench.

S

spooony

Giuseppe Garibaldi Trophy is for the winner of the Newcomer duel between Italy and France

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree - and Fofana looked good on the wing for Clermont last year. There's got to be a UTube of him doing some exciting things.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Agree - and Fofana looked good on the wing for Clermont last year. There's got to be a UTube of him doing some exciting things.

He always got potential but as a young kid becoming pro, he spent too much time enjoying his status than actually working to become a better player.
He changed his mind during off season so it is great to finally see him performing.

S

spooony

Could it be the Sella influence and new breath of fresh air his injecting into the morale of the players?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I found this. The try as a winger I was thinking of is at 2:07:

Not bad for a guy whose best position is 12 IMO.

H

Hiliadan

Very nice video ! (although the quality is not that good)

No one for a bet on the France-Italy result ?

H

Hiliadan

Good start for France ! Anyone to predict the score of the France - Ireland ?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Will the match even go ahead? I hear it's in the sub temperatures and pitch might be frozen...

France 23-Ireland16 my prediction

Status
Not open for further replies.