• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
As expected you have no solutions, but thank you.

Strong contribution, as always.

Why would I offer you solutions? You are an ad hominem attack merchant. I asked about Chieka's systems and you started by throwing barbs about how I wouldn't understand it if explained because I didn't understand the last system.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Captain Hoopah coming dead last in the player ratings thingy?, didnt see the match, wft happened? (cant be arsed wading thru the last 48,000 pages.) Dead last, that's as crazy as James Slipper not being first or second!

trayspill_zpsw1zqoyyv.gif

Australian Rugby, today.

Astonished, he made no errors, and was 100% committed the whole game, I do not know what people are looking at.
Kuindrani did nothing special, and did nothing wrong and he sits atop.

Although different positions i would have given the same ranking a 6.5.

Foley also had a solid game, but he has to start getting 2 touches and he's not. When QC (Quade Cooper) came on he was getting 2 touches one resulted in a try.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Foley has also hit 100% goal kicking/drop goal wise. You'd have to take that into account if you were to drop him. They've all gone straight through the middle. That's the thing about Foley and Phipps. Not necessarily the most gifted but they work hard and even at their age continue to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Taking into consideration:
- Foley's goal kicking accuracy
- Cooper's superior general kicking game
- Folau's poor kicking game and the need to turn him into a finisher

Herein is the solution:
10. Cooper
11. Folau
15. Foley

Would that be entirely out of the question? I'd be giving it a whirl next week if it were up to me..

T

Train Without a Station

Same flawed discussions from 18 months ago except the names are changed.

Keeping Foley in the team for his goal kicking is the stupidest thing I've heard.

1. Because Cooper kicks with similar accuracy.

2. Because he hasn't been an 80% goal kicker for a number of seasons, it's been for about 6 month. People haven't learned from what happened to Leali'ifano?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Wow we played poorly. The french played dirty. I counted 3 genuine yellow card opportunities and only one was made. The IRB need to look at the FRU as well. Unsportsman like behaviour not showing the full replays.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Taking into consideration:
- Foley's goal kicking accuracy
- Cooper's superior general kicking game
- Folau's poor kicking game and the need to turn him into a finisher

Herein is the solution:
10. Cooper
11. Folau
15. Foley

Would that be entirely out of the question? I'd be giving it a whirl next week if it were up to me..

I would rather see
10. Cooper
11. Speight
15. Folau.
Folau had an off night by his standard and Cooper is still pretty handy with the boot - the difference in super 15 stats was only 77.2% vs 75.4%.

matt james

Stan Wickham (3)
Quade has also hit 100% goal kicking/drop goal wise this tour; he kicked 100% against the barbarians.
You cannot say Foley is the better player based of place kicking alone like many on this forum suggest.
If Quade returns to form he will retake the jersey, that should be clear to all. They are similar in defence but Quade can pass and kick from hand better.

Next week Speight and To'omua back into the team and more time of the bench for Genia and Quade.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've only watched it in real time so I'm going on a hunch: i think the problems started when they replaced their THP.

I don't think so. I was surprised when Slipper was brought off first because his side of the scrum was still strong and Kepu's side was backpeddling at pace. This was after the French TH was replaced iirc, and it was certainly after Skelton came on behind Kepu. That is the common factor in all of the Wallabies' scrum woes late in the game when he's on the bench. About time it was acknowledged so that something can be done about correcting/improving him. His deficiencies and the Wallabies' deteriorating scrum cannot be attributed game after game to the opposition replacing one or more of their front row.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Same flawed discussions from 18 months ago except the names are changed.

Keeping Foley in the team for his goal kicking is the stupidest thing I've heard.

1. Because Cooper kicks with similar accuracy.

2. Because he hasn't been an 80% goal kicker for a number of seasons, it's been for about 6 month. People haven't learned from what happened to Leali'ifano?

Lealiifano got an ankle injury to his kicking foot. So using him as an example is just as stupid. I'm not saying he has to be kept just that 100% is pretty high don't you think, don't remember Cooper ever doing that two games in a row. It has to be a consideration. Goal kicking is not an issue ATM because of Foley. It's usually an issue with the Wallabies. I don't get how that's the stupidest thing you've heard.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One word - 'Pocock'.

I'm a fan of Hooper, but he really did get shown up by Thierry Dusautoir.

TD is a testament as to why low, effective body position is crucial at a breakdown.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Forget about his goal kicking, it's just a bonus, Foley isn't a creative player and functions best with space, hence more suited to fullback anyway..Folau's ineptitude with the boot isn't isolated to this game, it gets discussed pretty much every week. He should just be given some room and focus on running with the ball hard and fast.

T

Train Without a Station

Lealiifano got an ankle injury to his kicking foot. So using him as an example is just as stupid. I'm not saying he has to be kept just that 100% is pretty high don't you think, don't remember Cooper ever doing that two games in a row. It has to be a consideration. Goal kicking is not an issue ATM because of Foley. It's usually an issue with the Wallabies. I don't get how that's the stupidest thing you've heard.

Because he's briefly been a good kicker. Why would we automatically expect him to maintain that when there's a reason he has only been goal kicking for a short time? (This season only isn't it?)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To be honest, France have been trying and failing with that system since the last World Cup. French public cynical enough not to care about national team. Nobody good wants to take a pay cut and become national coach. Don't think Australian public will be so patient as the ffr have been with psa or the method. It's not good for the win percentage.

Perhaps, but it's Chieka's way of coaching and playing and everything we've seen from him at the Waratahs shows that he has absolute faith in that style of play and will assemble they players who can implement it. In an ideal world he would have had 3 years to come in and lay the foundations, but he's got one year. Whether it's doable in that time frame is unknown.

We heard a lot of the same criticisms from some Waratahs supporters in 2013 but by 2014 most had gone to ground.

I thought the French played well last night - whether that's because of or despite PSA is something I can't judge. If I was a French supporter last night, I'd have been satisfied, particuarly with some of the younger guys.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought the French played well last night - whether that's because of or despite PSA is something I can't judge. If I was a French supporter last night, I'd have been satisfied, particuarly with some of the younger guys.

the "French supporters" were very satisfied indeed.
i have spoken with a few and they all expressed content with how "it" went.
they are confident of doing well in the 6N.

suppose the French win the 6N, or even run second?
the Wallabies' performance last night will show up as very high quality indeed.
which it was.
four points below a fired-up France, on the job and at home?
high class.

i repeat
we may have just seen a preview of the final of RWC 2015
and what a final it would be.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
To avoid being accused of 20/20 hindsight, before this game I suggested that it was an even money bet because of the very small backrow and the poor selections on the bench. IMO those were the main reasons the game panned out as it did. And I would add that really the final score flattered the Wallabies as they played poorly for most of the game.

FWIW the improvements that I would suggest for next week include :
- strengthen the backrow by including Jones. McMahon moves to the bench in place of Hodgson;
- remove Skelton from the bench. If Sam Carter is still not available, move McCalman to lock when one of the starters has done his job and bring Schatz on from the bench;
- Nic White to the bench in place of Will Genia. White outplayed Will in the Baa Baas game in what was supposed to be a shootout between them for the bench spot, and Will has done very little in his two games;
- I would bring Cooper into the starting 10 spot as he offers a whole lot more in attack than Foley and can kick goals with almost as much accuracy;
- To'omua at 12 to reignite the Cooper/To'omua combination we all raved about at the end of last year;
- Henry Speight at 14.

I would then go with a bench of Hanson, Faulkner, Alexander, Horwill (assuming Carter starts), McMahon (or McMahon and Schatz if Carter isn't fit), White, Lealiifano and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I will be especially disappointed if Cheika persists with Skelton, the current combination in the backrow, Hodgson on the bench (if he is to be used should only be at 7), Genia on the bench and not selecting Speight. If he keeps the same team or heaven forbid he brings Beale in, then we should be bracing for a 1/4 winning record on the EOYT.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I think we are all talking about the wrong things. A good defensive effort by the wallabies in this game has us winning easy. We gave away easy trys and with better defence we could of scored more points through the French errors. We have been woefull in defence since link left. This is the problem.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

which it was.
high class.

i repeat

I like your thinking Biffo.:)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

which it was.
high class.

i repeat
Please remove rose tinted specs at once. They are sending you blind. France win the 6n or come second? Seriously. I'd be seriously worried about the Tarmac boys next weekend if I were you. If france had been good it wouldn't have been close.
Ireland are better organised better players than france

Status
Not open for further replies.