• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

France v Wallabies (RWC Warm-up), 28/8 1.45AM AEST

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We were so predictable. Valetini trucked it up over and over so after the first 10 minutes the French knew what to expect. Ditto with the lineout. We kept going to Hooper until they started picking him off, and after that as well.
I felt like we played very narrow and kept Petaia out of the game. When we did go wide good things happened.
This seems a massive flaw for us with Skelton, McReight and Valetini in here.

I think we're missing Jed bigly. Lineout was good with him (until he fucked up that one time AFTER he won it).

Maul wasn't great with him but I think it was better.

McReight's got to go, either move Hooper back to 7 or bring in a taller jumper (Gleeson) at 7.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you don’t like him fine, then Leota at 6 with Hooper 7. The current backrow combo is too easily targeted at the lineout.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don’t think the makeup of the team is the issue, more the execution at lineout time

I don’t care if they know where it’s going, with a good jump, a good lift, a well timed throw at the right trajectory you should still win the lineout

McReight is playing good rugby and an important link player

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don’t think the makeup of the team is the issue, more the execution at lineout time

I don’t care if they know where it’s going, with a good jump, a good lift, a well timed throw at the right trajectory you should still win the lineout

McReight is playing good rugby and an important link player
But what if the other team does the exact same thing because they know where its going? All things being equal it would be a 50/50 chance either way. That's kind of the point of lineouts.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
But what if the other team does the exact same thing because they know where its going? All things being equal it would be a 50/50 chance either way. That's kind of the point of lineouts.
Because knowing where it’s going and when it’s going there are 2 different things

The opponent can’t jump before you, it’s not 50/50, it’s a contest for possession that is dictated by the team throwing in

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Because knowing where it’s going and when it’s going there are 2 different things

The opponent can’t jump before you, it’s not 50/50, it’s a contest for possession that is dictated by the team throwing in
We definitely need more lineout options. With Skelton Captain and in the second row blind freddie could see we were going to have line out issues. McReight is a very good rugby player but at international level the game has changed. Pilferers are not having the same impact they once had. Bigger, stronger players however are. Hollaway is exactly what the team needs as he is great in the lineout, a much bigger body than McReight therefore more impact in the contact and can play six, no 8 and lock. Would play Tom Hooper at 7, Hollaway at 6 and Valentini at No 8 with Gleeson, Leota coming in off the bench.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Big deal if McReight can support run, so can Gleeson and he’d make a bigger impact running and tackling.
He’s a good ball carrier, but is not the link player (which is actually a big deal), tackler, jackaler or around the field worker that McReight is

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
i don’t think that first half looked any worse than the last 2 first halves, nor the 2nd half any worse than the last 2 second halves in terms of performances from the pack.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
Just like they did in Melbourne…
Well the backrow were not any worse against the All Blacks in Melbourne than they were against the French on the weekend. Tom Hooper has played 4 games this year (4 zip) and Rob Valentini has played 5 games this year (5 zip). McReight I think has started three times this year for 3 zip. We will continue to get killed in the line outs without a third line out option. Simple as that.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Well the backrow were not any worse against the All Blacks in Melbourne than they were against the French on the weekend. Tom Hooper has played 4 games this year (4 zip) and Rob Valentini has played 5 games this year (5 zip). McReight I think has started three times this year for 3 zip. We will continue to get killed in the line outs without a third line out option. Simple as that.
Define “killed” in the lineouts? Because the stats don’t really back that up

Reactions: dru

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Stats don't tell you much, if Aus win the ball but it's messy and we're immediately under pressure because a jumper couldn't catch it (from the French pressure) does the stat tell you that? If they steal a ball but somehow goes to us, does the stat put that down as a steal? If we overthrow or miss the jumper but our backline tidies it up, does that go down as a lineout lost?

Our lineout went to shit.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

No we don't "continue" to get killed in the line outs. Like yourself I thought the lineout not up to speed against France. But prior to that it had been going very well. I actually think that EJ (Eddie Jones) had solved the line out compromise with Big Will utilising Porecki and a second jumper from the back row. It definitely slipped in that last game. We jumped from the front mostly and compromised the maul in the process. It had been going well before and I expect that to continue.

Personally I'd start McReight but I'll not get irked if we don't. The line out is a daft reason to drop him though. Really daft.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Stats don't tell you much, if Aus win the ball but it's messy and we're immediately under pressure because a jumper couldn't catch it (from the French pressure) does the stat tell you that? If they steal a ball but somehow goes to us, does the stat put that down as a steal? If we overthrow or miss the jumper but our backline tidies it up, does that go down as a lineout lost?

Our lineout went to shit.
So we shouldn’t over react to small sample sizes when it comes to England playing rubbish in a warm up match, but we should over react to a bad lineout in a warm up match?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well it's the problem what caused the poor lineouts, it wasn't poor throwing (IMO), so we can't just write off Porecki having a bad day. Maybe the jumping was poor but they just read our lineout too easily and knew when it was going to Hooper got up in front of him.

I think teams will exploit us knowing we only have 2 solid jumpers and Valetini.

It's possible it goes back to normal when Frost calls again?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well it's the problem what caused the poor lineouts, it wasn't poor throwing (IMO), so we can't just write off Porecki having a bad day. Maybe the jumping was poor but they just read our lineout too easily and knew when it was going to Hooper got up in front of him.

I think teams will exploit us knowing we only have 2 solid jumpers and Valetini.

It's possible it goes back to normal when Frost calls again?

Sorry, what was the issue causing the lineout problem? McReight? Or am I misreading you?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Overreliance on Hooper, Arnold marked up well so they called to Hooper who was beaten in front early.
The issue is McReight isn't a good option at all (or Valetini really).

On a maul setup, it's pretty obvious it won't go to Skelton, McReight and Valetini (so it seems but it's an obvious bit of analysis - they're not useful at the front).