• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Freakonomics: home-field advantage

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surprised NBA isn't higher, the refs can easily manipulate the game and there's already a strong history of that.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
You'd find that active home supporters are also likely a major factor

I think the two are linked. In very few cases would a ref actively go about giving an advantage to a home team. But its very hard not to be influenced by your surrounds.

If the crowd is constantly appealing for a particular offence by the visiting team to be penalised its very hard to not take notice and at least be more vigilent in policing it.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
I remember reading some psychological research once that found crowd noise has an impact of decision-making when referees have to decide whether to award a penalty against the home team, and indeed award significantly less penalties against the home team. Which is why I wasn't surprised that Joubert swallowed his whistle at the end of the RWC Final...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Had a little more to do with the context of the match than the actual crowd I reckon. Joubert went into the game knowing there was only one result happening.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Surprised NBA isn't higher, the refs can easily manipulate the game and there's already a strong history of that.

The nature of the game is such that Team A can easily be beater by Team B tonight by 30 and get up and turn it around tomorrow. Often down to individual performance or lack thereof.

They are monitoring NBA games in an incredbile anmount of details since the scandal a couple of years ago. David Stern is pretty tough and won't let that happen easily again.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Jeez, who didn't see this thread going down this path.....

I'm not saying its some sort of conspiracy, but its understandable that he did swallow his whistle. I think Bryce Lawrence in the SA vs. Aus semi is a good example of what happens when a ref is overwhelmed by pressure and as a result their decision-making slows and is less accurate.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Some research in the Super comp that would be really interesting is whether home team advantage is boosted by the noise supporters make. You would think that home ground advantage would be stronger at the Stormers and Reds and weaker at the Waratahs, Cheetahs and Highlanders. You'd need to be a bit of a statistical genius to take out some of the other factors [like Kaplan's refereeing of the Tahs when the noise level (abuse) increases but he just penalises the home team more] but surely there's a PhD student out there with the statistical smarts.

I know... the thread's now degenerated into a Kaplan hate session. Just can't help myself. :)

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
What we need is a formulaic relationship between supporter decibels and referee decision making. The mathematicians are the crazy prophets on the hill!

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the two are linked. In very few cases would a ref actively go about giving an advantage to a home team. But its very hard not to be influenced by your surrounds.

If the crowd is constantly appealing for a particular offence by the visiting team to be penalised its very hard to not take notice and at least be more vigilent in policing it.

Very true, can anyone here claimed to have shouted "Forward!" or "Not straight!" when it was your team passing or throwing in?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a podcast by Wil Anderson and Charlie Clausen and it is f*cking hilarious and absolutely free... I have a fair few long drives with work and always listen to it in my car, I've had to pull over on the side of the road because I was laughing so much I was in tears... Also, won't be everyone's thing but if you've got a twisted sense of humour and nothing is off limits then I highly recommend... available from itunes and tofop.com

Status
Not open for further replies.