• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I reckon Connor has been our best this year. Week in week out he just keeps putting in. There may be better 7s out there but he'll do me.
Cant help but agree with you there Macca. He has been great all year.

For higher honours I think there will be questions over his size but he adds 5-10kg over the next 2 years to his frame then he is a similar build to Michael Hooper. With similar attributes, speed, work rate, defence etc.

Ketone ale from Manly would be above him but he would have to be alongside a handful of others. Be interesting to see if he gets a go with the Country side. Probably better for him career wise to miss out and have a long off season.

Thought the 7 from Wests on the weekend had a blinder as well.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
On a side note, is that everyone's favourite Englishman Charlie Hughes plying his trade in Easts' 4th grade or just a coincidence that he's not playing at Randwick now and another prop with the same name is the Beasts?

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Cant help but agree with you there Macca. He has been great all year.

For higher honours I think there will be questions over his size but he adds 5-10kg over the next 2 years to his frame then he is a similar build to Michael Hooper. With similar attributes, speed, work rate, defence etc.

Ketone ale from Manly would be above him but he would have to be alongside a handful of others. Be interesting to see if he gets a go with the Country side. Probably better for him career wise to miss out and have a long off season.

Thought the 7 from Wests on the weekend had a blinder as well.
And to add to that TC's tackle on the line to save a try against one of the Wests' big boppers was another highlight in a great game for him

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I will wait to see how Deegan progresses, hoping that he is tough enough, even if he is not quite big enough.

He will amaze you with his toughness.

He was three years as flyhalf in the Joeys first XV and if you think he is small now, he was just as small in Yr. 10, relatively, as he is now.

He played a lot from first receiver in the TV game and would have shown GG fans that his natural position is flyhalf.

Not only is he a tough youngster who tackles above his weight but also, like Kellaway in his position, has an old rugby head on his shoulders.

Once he gets to play flyhalf, GG fans will see a lot of him with Horwitz at 12—until they get elevated elsewhere.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Without wrapping the kid too much and putting the kiss of death on him, Thats what I liked about him best was that he seemed so comfortable out there. looked very mature and had u not known you would have thought he had been playing first grade for years.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Wicks were up against it in all grades against Eastwood.
With an huge amount of last minute changes, Wicks fourths played with far more commitment than last week. They still fell off tackles but they gave it a shot against a very superior team.
It was much the same for thirds and reserves with scorelines blowing out despite the Wicks efforts.
Eastwood were precision in running and passing and played as if their lives depended on it. Any break by them inevitably led to them posting a try with the quality of their backing up and this in all the lower grades.

First grade was a different affair where Eastwood met a much sterner test from the young guns. The final 35 minutes belonged to Wicks and it was only the very good eastwood defence that held them out. That and a very good knowledge of how to smother a ruck and prevent the ball coming out. ;)
Special mention of the Eastwood second rower who no doubt caught the eye of visiting scouts .

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey guys missed the game, interested to know how some individuals played for the wicks. Brogan, kellaway,deegan. Any standout performers in the pigs? how were the halves?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Hey guys missed the game, interested to know how some individuals played for the wicks. Brogan, kellaway,deegan. Any standout performers in the pigs? how were the halves?

IMO they all played solidly and almost the entire second half was played at Eastwood's end of the field, but the Wicks lacked the composure, continuity and variety to break through a very well organised defence. In short, the Wicks backline played like they hadn't played together before which given the injection of Horwitz, Roods and Kellaway wasn't surprising. A team of good individual players, but short on combination. Broods lasted about 70 minutes from memory.

The score probably flattered Eastwood somewhat as they scored a try right on full time from an intercept. The Wicks deserved a bonus point and a final scoreline of 23-19 would have been more reflective of the performance IMO.

BTW, there was a rumour doing the rounds that Windon has spat the dummy and gone to Wests. Anyone able to confirm and / or provide the background?

Rucks and Mauls

Peter Burge (5)
IMO they all played solidly and almost the entire second half was played at Eastwood's end of the field, but the Wicks lacked the composure, continuity and variety to break through a very well organised defence. In short, the Wicks backline played like they hadn't played together before which given the injection of Horwitz, Roods and Kellaway wasn't surprising. A team of good individual players, but short on combination. Broods lasted about 70 minutes from memory.

The score probably flattered Eastwood somewhat as they scored a try right on full time from an intercept. The Wicks deserved a bonus point and a final scoreline of 23-19 would have been more reflective of the performance IMO.

BTW, there was a rumour doing the rounds that Windon has spat the dummy and gone to Wests. Anyone able to confirm and / or provide the background?
Yep. Windon gone. I heard St Pats but could be Wests.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Windon is at St Pats. He was named as a fresh reserve on the bench for Saturday's game against Balmain.

St Pats have a good side. Former SS players Nick Reilly, Damian Fakafanua and Peter Satogo.

Galloping Green old boy Caerl Murray was still running around last year for them as well.

Probably back there playing with his mates for the rest of the season.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
And Coach,
Cant you see that backline flourishing as the combinations come over the next few weeks, months or years?
Good luck to the men involved, because from what I have heard via some of the guys, is that whilst they didnt win they know that they will get better and better. They enjoyed it.
These are the guys Randwick needs. And wants

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It would be great to see Randwick recapture some of that old magic. Hated them, but loved their style, back in the good old, bad old (for Eastwood) days.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
And Coach,
Cant you see that backline flourishing as the combinations come over the next few weeks, months or years?
Good luck to the men involved, because from what I have heard via some of the guys, is that whilst they didnt win they know that they will get better and better. They enjoyed it.
These are the guys Randwick needs. And wants

Brian, I'm sure that would be the outcome given time, but I'm not sure how much longer the likes of Horwitz, Kellaway and Deegan in particular will be available for the Wicks on a regular basis ie beyond this year.

I've been very impressed with Roods in his limited appearances this year but I'd reckon the talent scouts would be watching his progress / fitness as well.

I still think there's room in the backline for the likes of Tim Wright (old head) and Kuki Ma'afu who was playing very well before injury to add that bit of experience. Rees-Hole was quite impressive also.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Windon is at St Pats. He was named as a fresh reserve on the bench for Saturday's game against Balmain.

St Pats have a good side. Former SS players Nick Reilly, Damian Fakafanua and Peter Satogo.

Galloping Green old boy Caerl Murray was still running around last year for them as well.

Probably back there playing with his mates for the rest of the season.

Thanks George.
I notice he scored 2 tries off the bench to help St Pats knock off Mr Livingstone's club too.

Do you know why he left the Wicks?

At the risk of going over old ground, it's great to see the Kentwell Cup being run over full home and away rounds with just 10 teams. Pity we can't do the same in the SS.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
It would be great to see Randwick recapture some of that old magic. Hated them, but loved their style, back in the good old, bad old (for Eastwood) days.

There were some nice cameos of the old magic in the game against Wests last week. Hard to build the combinations when the same backline hasn't played for 2 games yet -- and I don't mean 2 consecutive games, I mean 2 games!

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks George.
I notice he scored 2 tries off the bench to help St Pats knock off Mr Livingstone's club too.

Do you know why he left the Wicks?

At the risk of going over old ground, it's great to see the Kentwell Cup being run over full home and away rounds with just 10 teams. Pity we can't do the same in the SS.
No idea on Windon Coach. I'm not privvy or close to the internal mechanisms. Just a quite spectator on the hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.