• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Tho
Thought Samu was really good in that debacle against Warringah. Have Norths lost anyone to Argentina or otherwise gained any S15 players?

Norths gained Cam Crawford (who's on the Argentine trip), Cruz Au-Nau, and Chris Tuatara-Morrison. Not sure about anyone else.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Interesting thoughts again from Wade Kelly in this week's Wicks newsletter:

"We have to let go of EGO and focus on players being able to express their talents.

We have to strive for a true premiership standard, with quality teams that are equal to our Sydney NRL counterparts.

We have to start producing superstars and to do this we have to have three things
1. Coaches that let 'stars' shine
2. Referees that let games shine
3. 'Stars' that have the self-discipline to work hard enough to shine and then keep their heads small enough to fit through a set of french doors!

Where does Randwick fit into that you ask ?

Well we are trying to help produce the 'stars' by giving them the training and opportunity to showcase their skills and help them on the pathway to the top. Once we have the 'stars' shining and promoting the game then all we will have to do is find the volunteers to look after all our beloved juniors!

So I'm calling on all of Rugby to Australia to focus on one thing
- Let's enable OUR heroes to shine!
and love them for it when they do."

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
Interesting thoughts again from Wade Kelly in this week's Wicks newsletter:

"We have to let go of EGO and focus on players being able to express their talents.

We have to strive for a true premiership standard, with quality teams that are equal to our Sydney NRL counterparts.

We have to start producing superstars and to do this we have to have three things
1. Coaches that let 'stars' shine
2. Referees that let games shine
3. 'Stars' that have the self-discipline to work hard enough to shine and then keep their heads small enough to fit through a set of french doors!

Where does Randwick fit into that you ask ?

Well we are trying to help produce the 'stars' by giving them the training and opportunity to showcase their skills and help them on the pathway to the top. Once we have the 'stars' shining and promoting the game then all we will have to do is find the volunteers to look after all our beloved juniors!

So I'm calling on all of Rugby to Australia to focus on one thing
- Let's enable OUR heroes to shine!
and love them for it when they do."
??????????????????????????? WOW THATS DEEP DID WADE REALLY GO TO WAVERLEY

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
??????????????????????????? WOW THATS DEEP DID WADE REALLY GO TO WAVERLEY
Very Funny Tarantino :)
What is your view on the future of Rugby an how it affects the Wicks?
The world has changed rapidly and I cant help but feel that, decisions, plans and policies being made now will either go 2 ways - clubs prospering or becoming extinct. There is just so much competition for sports dollars and players.
We have all the $ being generated by and funnelled to the top, you have the grass roots struggling and interest waning. The end of last season ,we had Rugby News announcing it was closing and the ABC indicating the it may not broadcast Shute Shield this year. You get bigger crowds at Country Rugby League Matches than at some Shute Shield games.
My point is that, if you like your rugger as much as I do, you might agree something has to be done and rugby leaders have to work out and define a way forward. If they don't, there will be park footy and stadium footy and nothing in between, ie just the under 15 mungos playing at Coogee Oval on a saturday arvo.
Wade Kelly seems to be trying to articulate a way forward with his bit of influence over Randwick and, at the risk of being a tad precious, reckon he should be encouraged rather than ridiculed.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I can remember Jeffrey Sayle saying many years ago that the role of Randwick (and club rugby in general) was to (1) provide a pathway to rep rugby and (2) provide an opportunity for players who will never reach the rep level to play rugby. He suggested that winning comps was a nice bonus if you did the above well.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
The world has changed rapidly and I cant help but feel that, decisions, plans and policies being made now will either go 2 ways - clubs prospering or becoming extinct. There is just so much competition for sports dollars and players.
We have all the $ being generated by and funnelled to the top, you have the grass roots struggling and interest waning. The end of last season ,we had Rugby News announcing it was closing and the ABC indicating the it may not broadcast Shute Shield this year. You get bigger crowds at Country Rugby League Matches than at some Shute Shield games.
My point is that, if you like your rugger as much as I do, you might agree something has to be done and rugby leaders have to work out and define a way forward. If they don't, there will be park footy and stadium footy and nothing in between, ie just the under 15 mungos playing at Coogee Oval on a saturday arvo.
Wade Kelly seems to be trying to articulate a way forward with his bit of influence over Randwick and, at the risk of being a tad precious, reckon he should be encouraged rather than ridiculed.[/quot
I can remember Jeffrey Sayle saying many years ago that the role of Randwick (and club rugby in general) was to (1) provide a pathway to rep rugby and (2) provide an opportunity for players who will never reach the rep level to play rugby. He suggested that winning comps was a nice bonus if you did the above well.
Wade Kelly seems to be trying to articulate a way forward with his bit of influence over Randwick and, at the risk of being a tad precious, reckon he should be encouraged rather than ridiculed.
Macca, i am a big supporter of Wade and what he is doing for the club. He single handedly has turned it around. The crowds are back at Coogee and who would have thought we would have a "Galloping Greens" forum with 17 pages no less! I just hope he can still balance the the idea of a semi professional club and a village atmosphere aswell. This change rugby is going through has to be done, Wade is in a very important position at the moment and is making all all the right decisions, as a "rugger fan" it would great if he can keep in mind the village atmosphere also, as im sure he will. Otherwise we will become the same as Uni. Nothing wrong with uni by the way but i dont see a devoted forum for their side,i mean club, why because Uni is a semi professional outfit and it exudes that.
I want the transition to be even better at Randwick and so far so good and it is directly because of Wade its not ridiculing him its a keen observation from a fan thats watching with interest the change of Sydney rugby, and for the better! Winning is not the key nor is making sure we secure Aussie schoolboys at all costs then we become no different to Uni. Unfortunately i see that is probably the way clubs have to go, let the schools develop players and then give them the portal to move into the next level, herein lies the death of club rugby as we know it sad i suppose.
The comment about Wade being deep is just that , i never thought Waverley boys were.
P.S. I love mungos maybe thats too precious a comment aswell thats what makes this such a wonderful tapestry of life. Go the New Wicks cant wait for saturday!

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Think Wade went to a Marist Brothers school and played league know for sure he didn't go to Waverley.

Not sure about his schooling but here's his rugby (both) career:

Rugby Union
Randwick Rugby 2000 - 2001
Orrell Rugby UK 2001 - 2004
Cornish Pirates UK 2005 - 2006
Exeter Chiefs UK 2007 - 2009
Alghero Italy 2009 - 2010

Rugby League
Brisbane Broncos 1995 - 1996
North Sydney Bears 1997 - 1999

Rugby Coaching Career
RDRUFC First Grade Colts 2010
The Scots College First XV 2011-2012

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Something wrong with Waverly?

Nice CV from Wade . He co coached at Colts and I am told he did not have as much say as he should have at that time.

Important game for Wicks tomorrow as the following ones are going to be very hard.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Something wrong with Waverly?

Nice CV from Wade . He co coached at Colts and I am told he did not have as much say as he should have at that time.

Important game for Wicks tomorrow as the following ones are going to be very hard.
Nothing wrong with Waverley at all. A major contributor to the wicks over many years. Some pretty handy blokes too from Cyril towers too young jack Johnson and will Munro

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Nothing wrong with Waverley at all. A major contributor to the wicks over many years. Some pretty handy blokes too from Cyril towers too young jack Johnson and will Munro
Yeah those 2 aren't too shabby....That bloke who has had a bit of success coaching, a Bob Dwyer, also went there I believe. Not a bad rugby nursery at all. You could also throw in Hoilsey, Cleary, Mackay, Tom English & Jed Holloway for good measure.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Pretty sure wade was at marcellin. Owen finnegan, Bryan fletcher, Luke ricketson, brad and Matthew Burke (the centre, not the fullback) also attended the big WC on the hill. Not sure if those names add ammunition for the original joke, but some good players there.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Another great day at coogee with fine weather and a reasonable crowd in the afternoon.
Fourth grade won by Norths . Wicks came back but too little too late 20-17 to Norths
Third grade the wicks got off to a slow start but came home in the second half to win 64-24
Second grade were 28-0 up before Norths came back at them. Norths were beaten by kicking to a strong back line with the 14 for wicks carving them on returns. The 10 and 7 also had stand out games. Final score was 59-12
So far it seemed that Norths were predominantly kicking high or kicking long and then chasing well through the grades so the same would be expected in the firsts and so it transpired .
Norths opened the scoring with a try in the corner to their 7 who was very fast.
Charlie Wakim received a kick and ran fifty metres to score under the posts on debut.
Norths persisted with the kicks and scored from an old fashioned 'up and under' which was misread by wicks 15 . 12-7 at half time with Norths on top and playing disruptive rugby especially at the breakdown.
The second half had Norths getting 3 and it seemed that they were getting the rub of the green.
Norths continued their kicking with high kicks and grubbers behind which exposed the back threes positional play. A defensive lapse had Norths score again to take the score to 25-7. With 20 to go the wicks 9 was subbed.he had had a tough day with the Norths forwards a ragging him often. Wicks scored next and looked good when they held the ball but sadly they insisted on giving it up and the final score of 32-14 was a fair reflection of the hard working Norths team.
There were some good and bad from the wicks today and they will have to regroup for two very tough matches in the next two weeks.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kelly is delivering some good footy, but not the desired victories.

Will the stalwarts stick with Stallion rugby if victories don't come?

Recent history at Wicks and most other clubs as well is that Coaches who do not deliver victories are seldom extended.

IMHO Kelly seems to be doing OK and the Wicks powerbrokers need to hang in there for at least another season.

How long has Kelly Country been contracted for?

Status
Not open for further replies.