• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Galloping Greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
All quiet on the Russian front are we praying? If my math serves me correctly i think Horwitz and Heptema are available this is good news we will give them a run for there money, uni that is.

They should be available (and maybe Mitchell) and that's the good news!

The bad news is that the Uni team which put 95 points on Gordon last Saturday will be bolstered by the return from Argentina of:
Betham
Barnes
Dennis
McCutcheon
Ryan
Tilse
Skelton
Latu
Talakai
Winton

If they can fit them all in!

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)
They should be available (and maybe Mitchell) and that's the good news!

The bad news is that the Uni team which put 95 points on Gordon last Saturday will be bolstered by the return from Argentina of:
Betham
Barnes
Dennis
McCutcheon
Ryan
Tilse
Skelton
Latu
Talakai
Winton

If they can fit them all in!
Positives will be, we are definitely under the radar. uni would be supremely confident, a good time to deal an upset to a team of stars not a star team. The boys need to niggle them from get go, can Horwitz kick?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Positives will be, we are definitely under the radar. uni would be supremely confident, a good time to deal an upset to a team of stars not a star team. The boys need to niggle them from get go, can Horwitz kick?

Apparently he was a goal kicker at school (ie last year).
IMO Koteczky has to be in the team and should be the goal kicker.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
All quiet on the Russian front are we praying? If my math serves me correctly i think Horwitz and Heptema are available this is good news we will give them a run for there money, uni that is.
Speaking of Maths, are our prospects for the final 8 like this-
If Eastwood beat Warringah at home and Warringah miss a bonus point, we are into the finals. If Warringah gets a bonus point, we are equal on points and we get in with a better F & A record (not sure on that one?).
If Norths beat West harbour at Concord, they get into the eight. If they have a bonus point loss, they are equal with Warringah, then its up to F & A, ie provided warringah don't get a bonus point loss, to see which of those 2 joins us in the 8
As I see it, if Norths & warringah win, we are stuffed.
If either of them lose, even with a bonus point loss, we are in.
???

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Speaking of Maths, are our prospects for the final 8 like this-
If Eastwood beat Warringah at home and Warringah miss a bonus point, we are into the finals. If Warringah gets a bonus point, we are equal on points and we get in with a better F & A record (not sure on that one?).
If Norths beat West harbour at Concord, they get into the eight. If they have a bonus point loss, they are equal with Warringah, then its up to F & A, ie provided warringah don't get a bonus point loss, to see which of those 2 joins us in the 8
As I see it, if Norths & warringah win, we are stuffed.
If either of them lose, even with a bonus point loss, we are in.
???

I think your Maths is correct, Macca!

I believe if 2 teams finish equal the number of wins is used to separate them before the F&A is looked at (ie wins are more important than bonus points). It is possible for all 3 team to finish on 40 points (ie Norths lose by 7 points or less and score 4 tries, Warringah lose but pick up 1 bonus point). All 3 would be on 7 wins so F&A would decide and Wicks will sneak in as long as Uni don't run up another cricket score against us and stuff our F&A!

If either Norths or Warringah win then they will definitely be in the finals, if they both win we'll be out unless we beat Uni.

TARANTINO

Stan Wickham (3)

I believe if 2 teams finish equal the number of wins is used to separate them before the F&A is looked at (ie wins are more important than bonus points). It is possible for all 3 team to finish on 40 points (ie Norths lose by 7 points or less and score 4 tries, Warringah lose but pick up 1 bonus point). All 3 would be on 7 wins so F&A would decide and Wicks will sneak in as long as Uni don't run up another cricket score against us and stuff our F&A!

If either Norths or Warringah win then they will definitely be in the finals, if they both win we'll be out unless we beat Uni.[/quote HAPPY DAYS Now for a good positive attitude by the boys cant wait for saturday !

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

If either Norths or Warringah win then they will definitely be in the finals, if they both win we'll be out unless we beat Uni.
I didn't factor in that losing teams can possibly get 2 bonus points for less than a 7 point loss and scoring 4 tries. Is that right?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I didn't factor in that losing teams can possibly get 2 bonus points for less than a 7 point loss and scoring 4 tries. Is that right?

Yep!
And there's always draws as well of course!
2 points to each team unless they score 4 tries in which case they get 3 points (but no extra bonus point for not losing by more than 7 points).

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lucky it is top 8 isn't it.
And for all the anti top 8's, given we don't have a full home and away it extends our comp a bit longer and creates competition.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Crunch time on Saturday.
Trusting that all wicks teams will give a good account of themselves even though on paper they are 'supposedly ' outclassed.
The one common thread in all the grades through out the season has been their tenacity and that can be seen by coach Kelly's comments in his coaches corner.
Looking forward to the discussion after completion of the finals and tipping at least one wicks team in the GF.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All day entertainment for $15. Must be the best value in the land.
Another fine day at Coogee with five grades playing.
Fifth grade went down to a UNi outfit 50 -10. Seemed alot of the Uni boys had been dropped out of the four grades to make way for 'Paid' talent higher up. Strange to see ex Aust Schoolboys and current third graders playing at this level for uni.
Fourth grade went down 36- 5 due in most part to Wicks falling off the tackles. Again they looked like they were up against a third grade outfit and Uni's 15 was a class above everyone and is a first grader in any other club.
Third grade had Uni in front 5 - 3 before Wicks settled and made it 8 all . Wicks were having a bit of difficulty with 'interpretation' but held on to win 25-18. They showed courage and commitment and held out determined Uni advances.
Second grade was a tight tussell and Uni were being ill disciplined at the breakdown which got their 7 a yellow. However, Wicks lost a bit of form especially at the restarts which allowed uni to get up 22-14. They then scored off a dubious knockon taking it to 29-14. Wicks fought back and got another 7 but Uni went out the winners 29-21.
Refs should look seriously at their reverse inside pass which is at best borderline.
First Grade
Where to start.
Wicks were over eager at the first scrum , hitting early and Uni were away with the ball and after just three minutes scored. Uni had certainly come to play and the great feature of their game was the constant backing up of anyone with the ball. Wicks were making some huge hits and when given the ball they showed glimpses of ability to break the line. Uni had excess speed on the wings and it was relatively easy for them to get their wingers away. The first 20 miutes had Uni up 28-0 and Wicks had no answer to the power running at them. With at least five s15 players as fresh reserves Uni actually started to get a little sloppy and Wicks tried hard to take advantage. The last 10 minutes of the half had Wicks on attack but they constantly lost the ball and it was only Uni infringing that kept Wicks in attack. Uni got a yellow for the infringments but having weathered the pressure they then broke out and scored in an eyeblink. 35-0 at half time only got worse as Uni came out and scored try after try after try. The Uni forwards having started to perspire were getting sloppy again and the Uni Coaches must have been concerned as to heat stroke and so the bench contingent led by Skelton were let on the field.
There were some very good performances by Uni especially 8 and 10 and 15. 11 scored plenty but anyone with that speed and room would have also.
Wicks did themselves no favours as their ball handling under pressure was not good, however, they never backed away from the challenge and individually they played as well as they could.
75-0 as a final score showed the gulf between Professional and Amature rugby.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Could someone please explain how the score in 1st colts happened? Don't want to hear about how many colts players are playing grade, why did the side that ran 4th and playing in a semi final allow 103 pts to be scored against them?

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Fifth grade went down to a UNi outfit 50 -10. Seemed alot of the Uni boys had been dropped out of the four grades to make way for 'Paid' talent higher up. Strange to see ex Aust Schoolboys and current third graders playing at this level for uni.
Fourth grade went down 36- 5 due in most part to Wicks falling off the tackles. Again they looked like they were up against a third grade outfit and Uni's 15 was a class above everyone and is a first grader in any other club.
Third grade had Uni in front 5 - 3 before Wicks settled and made it 8 all . Wicks were having a bit of difficulty with 'interpretation' but held on to win 25-18. They showed courage and commitment and held out determined Uni advances.
Second grade was a tight tussell and Uni were being ill disciplined at the breakdown which got their 7 a yellow. However, Wicks lost a bit of form especially at the restarts which allowed uni to get up 22-14. They then scored off a dubious knockon taking it to 29-14. Wicks fought back and got another 7 but Uni went out the winners 29-21.
Refs should look seriously at their reverse inside pass which is at best borderline.
First Grade
Where to start.
Wicks were over eager at the first scrum , hitting early and Uni were away with the ball and after just three minutes scored. Uni had certainly come to play and the great feature of their game was the constant backing up of anyone with the ball. Wicks were making some huge hits and when given the ball they showed glimpses of ability to break the line. Uni had excess speed on the wings and it was relatively easy for them to get their wingers away. The first 20 miutes had Uni up 28-0 and Wicks had no answer to the power running at them. With at least five s15 players as fresh reserves Uni actually started to get a little sloppy and Wicks tried hard to take advantage. The last 10 minutes of the half had Wicks on attack but they constantly lost the ball and it was only Uni infringing that kept Wicks in attack. Uni got a yellow for the infringments but having weathered the pressure they then broke out and scored in an eyeblink. 35-0 at half time only got worse as Uni came out and scored try after try after try. The Uni forwards having started to perspire were getting sloppy again and the Uni Coaches must have been concerned as to heat stroke and so the bench contingent led by Skelton were let on the field.
There were some very good performances by Uni especially 8 and 10 and 15. 11 scored plenty but anyone with that speed and room would have also.
Wicks did themselves no favours as their ball handling under pressure was not good, however, they never backed away from the challenge and individually they played as well as they could.
well said Sid. Our lot wasn't helped by 3 forced changes on match day. I thought our guys tried and were belting Uni hard in the contact ( ie when they could catch the buggers). The individual brilliance of Foley, Phipps, Kingston McCalman, Jouledev, English and so on was a mismatch for us.
I think we can beat WH next week if they are all on deck and prepared to have a dig.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
First Grade
Where to start.
well said Sid. Our lot wasn't helped by 3 forced changes on match day. I thought our guys tried and were belting Uni hard in the contact ( ie when they could catch the buggers). The individual brilliance of Foley, Phipps, Kingston McCalman, Jouledev, English and so on was a mismatch for us.
I think we can beat WH next week if they are all on deck and prepared to have a dig.

George Hipwall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'm sure the game on Saturday will be put behind everyone tomorrow night at training.

If it's a dry track on the weekend I believe the Wicks should prevail.

Hopefully Nio, Geoff Ingram and David Horwitz are back as well. Were they bad injuries ruling them out?

BTW - I thought Bryce Speechley stepped up well in Ingram's absence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think that Sayley needs to modernise his music collection and have Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" blaring out all over Latham Park at training this week.

Scores of 70 + points in First Grade and 100+ in Colts 1's to the bad guys is a serious sort of knock down to get up again from.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm sure the game on Saturday will be put behind everyone tomorrow night at training.

If it's a dry track on the weekend I believe the Wicks should prevail.

Hopefully Nio, Geoff Ingram and David Horwitz are back as well. Were they bad injuries ruling them out?

BTW - I thought Bryce Speechley stepped up well in Ingram's absence.

Speechley tried hard all day and it was good to see Munroe get a talking to by the ref for a moderatly late hit - Showed they were still fighting.
Would have liked to see Nio etc on deck, but doubt they would have changed the match. Thought both props and the hooker went well under the circumstances.
Bounce back is on!!
BTW Thought UNi's form after the loss in thirds was poor. Their salute to the winning team was very sour.

Status
Not open for further replies.