• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

George Gregan, John Eales, part of Nine Broadcast team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/media-owners-set-for-rugby-world-cup-scrum

Media owners set for Rugby World Cup scrum

15 Jul 2011

John Davidson

EXCLUSIVE: Despite a sluggish late ad market, media owners are attracting strong interest from advertisers with expectations of high ratings if the Wallabies enjoy a good run.

Official Australian media partners of the 2011 Rugby World Cup (RWC) include Nine Network, which has free-to-air TV rights for the RWC.

Sam Brennean, Nine Melbourne sport sales manager, says the broadcaster has signed up three brands so far in Heineken, Brancott Estate and Swisse Vitamins, and is looking to confirm two more advertisers in the next two weeks. Brennean said Nine is expecting to have five or six brands supporting its RWC broadcasts in total.

Brennean admits that expectations of bumper viewing figures will generate depends hugely on the performance of the Wallabies. “A fair bit hinges on the way the Aussies play,” he said. “If Australia makes the final, if that happens, it will be enormous.”

He said the games will be shown live in Sydney and Brisbane, but the timing in Melbourne, Perth and Adelaide will depend on which nations are playing in each game. Former Wallabies captains John Eales and George Gregan will be members of Nine’s broadcast team.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Not sold on Eales. Love the guy, but his voice isn't exactly made for TV commentary.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah we have had enough Fox vs FTA threads. Re-read what he says RF, it wasn't anything provocative or offensive.

And to answer your question Tigerland- no, no I do not.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ahh the days of Bray, Poido and Buddah.... Haven't watched FTA coverage for years.

I did watch a test on CH10, and I found that somewhat dire. Ben Tune no thanks.

Agree with barbarian, Eales horse voice is difficult to take seriously

C

chief

I was under the impression Eales role won't exactly be commentary as such but rather analysis at half time and hosting the wrap up shows? He has done that in the past I believe.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Eales should stick to winning penalty goals and captaining RWC winning sides.

As for FTA, why watch it when it's sometimes up to 1 min behind Pay TV coverage? This is generation now!

lonhro10

Frank Nicholson (4)
I understand that 9 will be using the fox commentary during the game with the Gregan etc being used for comments before/after and half time. Much like 10 was doing during european tour.

Not sure if that is the case today but definitely for the WC

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
rarely watch FTA. Occasionally Greg Martin would say something to jinx us that would piss me off enough to switch.... until the next ad. Fortunately, he seems to have been told. He didn't put the curse of death onto any of the Aussie teams during S15. In the final he was saying stuff like looks like Crusaders are going to go to go with it when they started to look tired in my eyes. I would have done a valve if he had gone early with a prediction.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
He did a good job of pushing people into that train in Japan for the Mastercard ad-I think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.