• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

George Smith wins Nobody's medal again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
IMG_5186_%28Large%29.JPG

OK, it wasn't difficult to predict George Smith picking up the John Eales medal again ( the first man to do so), but once more the sharp rugby brains that read this blog got it right in the poll we ran.

Despite the worlds best 7 looking distinctly non-plussed in the photo above, he certainly deserved it and is potentially the only forward in Australia who could hold down a world 15 position.

Perhaps a little more interesting is who came next and by how many:

1. Smith 205
2. Palu 184
3. Giteau 183
4. Elsom 153
5. Mortlock 108

Out of these some eyebrows might be raised about Palu's stretch ahead of Elsom, but as this is rated by the players themselves, it's obvious that they either appreciate the hard yards that Cliffy makes game in game out, or just want him to stop nicking their lunch.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
Gagger said:
IMG_5186_%28Large%29.JPG

OK, it wasn't difficult to predict George Smith picking up the John Eales medal again ( the first man to do so), but once more the sharp rugby brains that read this blog got it right in the poll we ran.

Despite the worlds best 7 looking distinctly non-plussed
in the photo above, he certainly deserved it and is potentially the only forward in Australia who could hold down a world 15 position.

1. Smith 205
2. Palu 184
3. Giteau 183
4. Elsom 153
5. Mortlock 108

Out of these some eyebrows might be raised about Palu's stretch ahead of Elsom, but as this is rated by the players themselves, it's obvious that they either appreciate the hard yards that Cliffy makes game in game out, or just want him to stop nicking their lunch.

Say what?

W

whocares

did anyone else see that guy that was photographed with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?
I'v never seen him before. He was dressed like all the other players.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
did anyone else see that guy that was photographed with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?
I'v never seen him before. He was dressed like all the other players.

Yeah & there was another bloke with a woman who i've never seen before either.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Virgil said:
Gagger said:

Despite the worlds best 7 looking distinctly non-plussed
in the photo above, he certainly deserved it and is potentially the only forward in Australia who could hold down a world 15 position.

1. Smith 205
2. Palu 184
3. Giteau 183
4. Elsom 153
5. Mortlock 108

Say what?

He looks pissed off

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
McCaw maybe regarded the best openside in world rugby but Smith is regarded the best & fairest openside in world rugby.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Gagger said:

Or that the posters here have no clue. Palu was terrific this year. A farce that Moore wasn't in the top 5 though.

Virgil

Larry Dwyer (12)
disco said:
McCaw maybe regarded the best openside in world rugby but Smith is regarded the best & fairest openside in world rugby.

oh please, by whom?
Biggest pile of shit ive ever heard. Yes your right, McCaw is evil, and Smith plays inside the law and never offends.

W

whocares

Virgil said:
disco said:
Yes your right, McCaw is evil, and Smith plays inside the law and never offends.

Thank you i'll quote you on it in the future.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
disco said:
What's not "Fair" about McCaws play?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Virgil said:
disco said:

oh please, by whom?
Biggest pile of shit ive ever heard. Yes your right, McCaw is evil, and Smith plays inside the law and never offends.

I agree Virgil.

Can we leave the nonsense out of it? Smith probably deserves a spot on the World XV bench but he isnt quite at McCaw's standard and they both play as close the edge as possible. I dont think any of us come to the scarf for anti kiwi 'jokes'*.

*a joke that isnt funny is just fishing.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Well, it's lucky then Cutter that I'm not joking and therefore not fishing.

George Smith is a better 7 than McCaw.

I realise it's up there as a faux pas along with admitting you don't like Bob Marley, but I don't care if I'm going against perceived wisdom.

• Smith is better over the ball (lower centre of gravity),
  • Smith is better defensively with his bootlace tackling (some of our best tries have come through McCaw's misses, he made 2 in tries at the G last year - see below)
  • And is a better cheat as well, i.e. he isn't nearly so obvious, which Bernie Larkham also agrees with, which you can read here: http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/2007/08/lunch-with-larkham-by-coatsie.html

And he's done all of the above behind a pretty average pack.

I also think Smith is a better ball player, although this isn't a 7s job and I wouldn't mind him doing it less for the Wallabies.
McCaw is a very average captain (aw, dunno, just didn't thunk of kicking), and has a glass jaw.

Easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBFHQaE8o8g

Status
Not open for further replies.