• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gert Smal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomo thanks for this article, really enjoyed it. My late dad in law grew up with Gerts dad and it they come from Griekwastad to be more spesific in Kimberley area. Every country town in SA have one spesicfic tough tough Boer family , those that will fasten their pants witha Pofadder and will practise their hunting shots on their wifes high heels when they open the farm gates. Vioolsdrif have the Beetse, Klawer the Adriaanse, Beafort Wes the Nigrinis and Griekwastad had the Smals. Gert was a tough as nail flanker on his day but never thuggies, Francois Louw remind me a lot to his play these days. He however stripped his moer once on the rugby field and that was when the Cavaliers visit here. Remember him floor poor Gary Knight with one blow, my laaitie tell me when he hit a 4 in cricket the ball come from the sweet spot of his bat and Gary tasted Gerts sweet spot of his fist from Griekwastad. He was so upset after the ref binned them both he nearly repeat his faith while they were both in the bin. Wish I can watch that incident again.

Anyway interesting the language one. Myself found out for the first time when I visited the Milleneum Stadium in 1999 the Druids and Iere and Skotte have their own taal. A pitty they dont talk it.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Thomo thanks for this article, really enjoyed it. My late dad in law grew up with Gerts dad and it they come from Griekwastad to be more spesific in Kimberley area. Every country town in SA have one spesicfic tough tough Boer family , those that will fasten their pants witha Pofadder and will practise their hunting shots on their wifes high heels when they open the farm gates. Vioolsdrif have the Beetse, Klawer the Adriaanse, Beafort Wes the Nigrinis and Griekwastad had the Smals. Gert was a tough as nail flanker on his day but never thuggies, Francois Louw remind me a lot to his play these days. He however stripped his moer once on the rugby field and that was when the Cavaliers visit here. Remember him floor poor Gary Knight with one blow, my laaitie tell me when he hit a 4 in cricket the ball come from the sweet spot of his bat and Gary tasted Gerts sweet spot of his fist from Griekwastad. He was so upset after the ref binned them both he nearly repeat his faith while they were both in the bin. Wish I can watch that incident again.

Your wish, Oom, is my command. As AJ Greig would put it; right off the vegetable of the bat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwvkJLRF5Uo

Anyway interesting the language one. Myself found out for the first time when I visited the Milleneum Stadium in 1999 the Druids and Iere and Skotte have their own taal. A pitty they dont talk it.

Era, tá fhios agat conas a cloistear Gaeilge. ;)

Scots Gaidhlig is just a variation on Irish [NB for all here; Irish. Never, ever, ever Gaelic.]. The accent is the main thing; it's like Geordie English, same language, just hard to follow. Hebrides Gaidhlig is a lot easier than Highlands, mind. Ulster Irish is an abomination unto the Lord. The main reason we wouldn't use it in rugby is that the Northern Ireland lads would be from a background where it wouldn't go down too well, and they'd know no Irish at all.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dankie Thomo, my work laptop dont show that clips , will check it at home.

Glad to hear Gert and his family enjoying themself in Ierland, the sun maybe a problem but then our weather has also been shite all year.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Dankie Thomo, my work laptop dont show that clips , will check it at home.

Glad to hear Gert and his family enjoying themself in Ierland, the sun maybe a problem but then our weather has also been shite all year.

Oom, we managed the remarkable trick this year of having both a drought in September (no rain for three weeks is an Irish drought, btw) and flooding for the rest of the year.

To all intents and purposes, it's barely stopped raining for two and a half years.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I always wanted him in 13. Thats where he jol most of his game in schoolboy rugby. Now with the recall of CJ I think changes are good that he will be the first recall if things turn ugly now. He is a big loss for us.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Dankie Thomo , hell that was a great right from Gert! I remember both get binned and he was highly upset.

Status
Not open for further replies.