• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Giteau at 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I didn't pay much attention to rugby until the last few years, and as such I remember basically nothing about Matt Giteau's time at scrumhalf.

Can anyone shed some light on the experiment? As in when did it happen/who's idea was it/why was it a success/failure.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'm trying to forget!

Joking! It wasn't that bad i think. Was a fair time ago so I can't really remember that much about it. He couldn't have been outstanding at it or people would be calling for his reinstatement.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was pretty average...

At the time a lot of the NSW Press were hard on the campaign of trying to get rid of Gregan, and Giteau played pretty well for about 30mins in his first test at halfback against Wales...

Otherwise he was pretty average... and his passing from that position wasn't the best... I can't remember which direction (right to left?) but he seemed to always have to turn around to pass...

T

tranquility

Nah I dunno, I don't think it was that bad. I think it was more Mat Rogers at 5/8 that didn't work.

The first match of the experiment against Wales, he was the best player on the paddock and practically won us the game. Scored a very opportunist halfback try from a tap too if I remember correctly.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Giteau was OK to average at 9. The issue was he wasn't the best at that position at the time and he was limited in his option taking. Why even discuss this? He is not the future for the Ponies at 9 and he woldn't rate in the top 5 in Oz in the position. For mine if Giteau doesn't play 12 for the Ponies he shouldn't be considered there for the Wallabies and ATM he wold have to be considered 3 for the 10 spot behind Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor). I have serious doubts now about Barnes playing any long term role in any team, given the issues surrounding his concussions. The last knock was not even particularly hard and his reaction to it may well be an aggravation of pre-existing injuries. IMO his playing days may well be numbered.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Why even discuss this?

Don't get the wrong idea, Gnos. I only wanted someone to elucidate this part of Australian rugby's past for me, not start a push to get Giteau in the halfback spot in the present or anything like that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Sad to say Gnostic, but I suspect you are right about Barnes. I think we have another Flatley in the making and that's sad for him and for us.

After watching him wobble off two weeks ago I nearly started a thread about this. I just have this horrible feeling we have seen the best of Barnes. Hope i'm wrong.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
It would be sad if he had to end like flatley. I miss him and his penalties to force games into extra time

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah I dunno, I don't think it was that bad. I think it was more Mat Rogers at 5/8 that didn't work.

The first match of the experiment against Wales, he was the best player on the paddock and practically won us the game. Scored a very opportunist halfback try from a tap too if I remember correctly.

Ummmmm...

The Wallabies didn't win that game...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ab_dsMp1DA&feature=player_detailpage#t=218s - Gits was playing 9 for most of second half against the ABs in Melbourne 2007 and it seems Bray places a bit chunk of credit to him for the Staniforth try. IIRC he also played a lot of 9 in the 2006 EOYT, but the only decent game was against Scotland.

At least Bray's assessment isn't as delusional as Roy Masters...

Following that game Masters wrote an article crediting Phil Waugh for the win... despite the fact that Waugh had only just come onto the field in the lineout before the Staniforth winning try and was not involved in any part of that try, or really any important aspect of the match...

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Check the wiki page of Matt Giteau, there's a list of each test and the position he played. He was at 9 for the November tour 2006, and the first two June tests of 2007.
We've even got G&GR player ratings for the first two tests in 2007 both v. Wales.. "poor guy’s in the wrong position, looked sharp though. 7" and "much better in second half but too many errors. 6"

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Giteau was okay and sometimes awesome at 9, but when Gregan took the field it showed why the great man is the record holder for test matches. That and his partnership with Larkham. You can't train that kind of relationship overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.