• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Glen Jackson - Rebels vs Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
GAGR folks,

You guys know I don't comment on ref's, but I am very very interested to see how you thought Glen Jackson went in the Brumbies/Rebels match.

I thought he was great in the only match I saw him ref, an all NZ derby. The game was good, I thought he didn't try to get involved too much and thought his calls were pretty correct. It excites me muchly to see an ex-player get involved in the refereeeing as I think it's something which could truly lift the game.

Honestly - I'm biased as buggery. He's from my town, his wife is a good friendly of my family and I always thought he slogged his guts out for the chiefs. Thus, I'm sure my opinion of what I've seen of him is more than slightly biased.

Therefore, I'm keen to hear your guys opinions. Be honest, if you thought he was shit, say so (but of course, back up why).

From what I've seen though, I can only hope he's sort of a pioneer in players moving into refereeing.

S

Skippy

Didn't see the game but I fully support the idea of ex players turning to refereeing. As Matt Burke says 'how dare anyone try to ref a game who hasn't played at that level'. (not a real quote obviously!)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I haven't seen the game either but I too am 100% in favour of ex players becoming refs. We've started seeing it in cricket and it's good that rugby is following suit.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought he did alright...

He missed a few things, but was consistent...

The only 'controversial' call he probably made was not giving Delve a yellow card for a pretty blatant cynical act at the breakdown when the Brumbies were 5m out... however, Giteau scored a cheeky try from it so all was forgiven from me...

I thought he had it tough as the Rebels rocked up in their home attire which horribly clashed with the Brumbies' home attire...

I noticed he put his went to put his arm out a few times to give advantage but quickly yanked it when play went on unaffected...

From a Brumbies' point of view, he should've penalised the Rebels scrum leading up to their penalty they scored in the early stages of the match as Rodzilla clearly put his hand on the ground (as did Somerville a few times later in the match)...

So, it wasn't the best refereeing performance, but it was hardly the worst... decent job...

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yellow cards are always subjective. I know I wasn't thinking Yellow card when it happened. I didn't really notice him during the game which I think is a good thing. I was also pretty tired and not watching too closely.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I thought he did a great job.
The advantage play was good - he clearly signalled by raising his arm then lowering it that he was playing penalty advantage - at least that's how it seemed to me. And he played good advantages. I agree with Sully on the yellow - it didn't jump out as a bad "miss" at the time to me, although Delve was more conspicuous than normal in getting pinged a few times last night. I thought the Rebels had the better scrum much of the night, so that may have affected his ruling there - we all know refs tend to reward the dominant scrum (although not always, according to some Poms about 8 yrs ago).
All up, a pretty good showing.

S

Saders07

Best ref I have seen in terms of facilitation i.e. not there as player 31 or as a focal point. Massive future as long as he isn't forced to change his management style.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Jackson played very, very good advantage last night. That's exactly how players (and spectators) want advantage played: let's see what happens immediately after an infringement/dropped pill, etc. and don't whistle unless absolutely necessary. And I also agree with Sully, not noticing a ref means he had a good game.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Yep, only 3 penalties in the first half. Not sure what the final count was, but barely noticed him and the game flowed. Surely the highest compliments a ref can receive.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I thought he did well.
Not sure if it had anything to do with Lyndon Bray watching him in person.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Agree with above - he gave Delve a final warning there which I thought was right.

Also saw him let an inconsequential "running into own man" go at the breakdown which was good

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I thought he was a bit harsh to Gary. Penalised him twice for hands in the ruck when there was no ruck.

In general though, no complaints. Best interpretation of the advantage rule all season.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Overall very good. Was consistant and and the few things he missed were understandable and he could have used a bit more help from the sidelines for those things. Would be happy to see him get a lot more games.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks guys - appreciate it.

As I said, I'm not even close to impartial here & I thought in the match I saw he was brilliant.

I really hope he's an inspiration to others who play the guy at the highest level. I'm sure many of them would make brilliant referees.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Lets ask the same question after he's reffed and Aussie team against another someone else. You might get more Slims.... ;)

Toddy

Chris McKivat (8)
I loved the call Jackson made in the Chiefs v. Blues game. The one when Mils just had a foot in touch before catching the ball. Was a great call and good to see he had the nuts to make it.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
"he should've penalised the Rebels scrum leading up to their penalty they scored in the early stages of the match as Rodzilla clearly put his hand on the ground (as did Somerville a few times later in the match)..."

Interesting that Craig Jobert also let a couple of these hands on the floor calls go in the Crus vs Blues game
Hopefully this has been discussed by the sanzar refs and they see it just as a action to regain footing - not worthy of 3 pts imho

Status
Not open for further replies.