• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Forrest also alludes to the unnamed prospective backer of the proposed WS. What I find interesting is that they mention 14 rounds but only 7 squads. That's including the Japanese team. Hawaii was reported to be on board but aren't on that list.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Forrest also alludes to the unnamed prospective backer of the proposed WS. What I find interesting is that they mention 14 rounds but only 7 squads. That's including the Japanese team. Hawaii was reported to be on board but aren't on that list.

"and further discussions will take place with a private consortium to form an eighth team." - maybe that is the Hawaiian consortium?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thats all pretty exciting. Shame they didnt manage to set up a team in western sydney. Definitely would have been interested (in attending).

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting that the Hong Kong team will be called the South China Tigers (at least according to that video). Perhaps they'll play some games in Shenzhen or Guangzhou.

Yeah, thought that name was a bit clunky to be honest. Just go with Hong Kong. Would much prefer that than South China. Purely because while geographically relevant for a sports team it seems pretty ambiguous.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Those in the video are:

2 x 35 minute halves
No kicking the ball directly out from inside the 22
9 Point power try awarded without the conversion
2 point penalty goals
Rolling Subs (10 in total)
Defence back another 5m at scrums
Retain possession with kick from own 40m that bounces out in opposition 22
No marks inside the 22
Reduced time for goal kicks and kick offs
Red carded player can be replaced after 15 mins
Orange card system for match review officials

I was thinking they'd go more for 30 min halves to fit in the 90 minute broadcast window but clearly they don't want too much fluff in the lead in or post match.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Exciting that this might have a great impact on the game in the pacific and Asia. My only gripes are still the name, its absolutely terrible and the rules, NRC produces an exciting product without bastardizing some core principals of the game, they should of just done the same.

Good luck to it, would be great if the sport can grow from these foundations.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Exciting that this might have a great impact on the game in the pacific and Asia. My only gripes are still the name, its absolutely terrible and the rules, NRC produces an exciting product without bastardizing some core principals of the game, they should of just done the same.

The involvement of both Fiji and Samoa are the big ones for me. Some have held for some time that Rugby hasn't placed enough value on the region. Overlooking the disproportionate funding investment, this competition has the potential to fundamentally altered the flow of talent out of the PI's in the medium to long term future.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

NRC started with some pretty big changes but then moderated. May happen here if/when the rule changes dont have the desired effect.

Particularly 2 point penalties. Not convinced this won't just result in a lot more infringements.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
NRC started with some pretty big changes but then moderated. May happen here if/when the rule changes dont have the desired effect.

Particularly 2 point penalties. Not convinced this won't just result in a lot more infringements.
The kicking proposals seem to encourage a lot more kicking as well

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Didn't the NRC use the 2 point penalty in its first season which resulted in a lot fewer kicks for goal.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Perhaps. Hopefully that translates into smarter kicking with the option of just punting it out on the full taken out of the equation. Not super enthused about the 40/22 option.

I'm interested to see the 40/22 rule in action, as I think it could create some space out wide as teams will need to defend it with wingers back.

I'm not as enthused about taking away the mark inside the 22. I think it'll just lead to teams putting up bombs all the time. But I'm all for trying things - keep the things that work and bin those that don't as quickly as possible.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, thought that name was a bit clunky to be honest. Just go with Hong Kong. Would much prefer that than South China. Purely because while geographically relevant for a sports team it seems pretty ambiguous.

Apparently the team is meant to represent the 'Greater Bay Area' which according to the internet refers to a Chinese government scheme to link the cities of Hong Kong, Macau, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Zhongshan, Dongguan, Huizhou, Jiangmen and Zhaoqing into an integrated economic and business hub. Total population of 67 million people.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'm interested to see the 40/22 rule in action, as I think it could create some space out wide as teams will need to defend it with wingers back.

I'm not as enthused about taking away the mark inside the 22. I think it'll just lead to teams putting up bombs all the time. But I'm all for trying things - keep the things that work and bin those that don't as quickly as possible.

In the video it is actually stated that they want to remove players from the defensive line and this could be one way they envisage doing that. I guess we'll have to wait and see in that regard. The removal of the mark in the 22 could be problematic. What I really don't want to see is aimless kicking. I'm not opposed to the use of the kick as a tactical weapon which might work out in regards to the 40/22 rule but removing the mark screams kick and hope which I hate.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
In the video it is actually stated that they want to remove players from the defensive line and this could be one way they envisage doing that. I guess we'll have to wait and see in that regard. Thee removal of the mark in the 22 could be problematic.
They should just play on wider fields.