• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Global Rapid Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Another step that will positively affect the participation of Russian clubs in GRR.
The largest sports media holding in Russia Match TV bought the rights to the Australian football championship. Because of the panic in Europe, they have nothing to show now, so they bought a rights for the A-League.
https://matchtv.ru/football/matchtv...la--a-kak-tebe-takoy-tra&utm_content=38195821
To make you understand the level. They have many satellite paid channels. But they pack all the best content on the Match TV federal channel, which is available for free to 146 million viewers.
Another fact. March 7 rugby match Russia - Romania was shown on Match TV. Gathered a record television audience for rugby in Russia. 2.8 million viewers! For comparison, approximately 5-10 million viewers watch football matches of the Russian Championship. These are very good indicators for rugby.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Now I am writing in Russian rugby forums that our Russian rugby championship may turn out to be the only active pro tournament in the world. RPL starts on April 26th. And if you cancel the limit on legionnaires, then in Russia you can collect very cool foreign players. Given the fact that all world clubs cut budgets. And in Russia, the total rugby budget is more than $ 50 million. Including low taxes 13%. Our clubs can offer good salarys in this difficult time for world rugby. I think this is quite real. But the right solutions are needed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
really? You are still playing? Can't imagine any very cool foreign players coming over. Most of them are still contracted.

As for the A-League, I suspect it will be cancelled very soon (if it is still going?)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
really? You are still playing? Can't imagine any very cool foreign players coming over. Most of them are still contracted.

As for the A-League, I suspect it will be cancelled very soon (if it is still going?)

A-League has been suspended........ they did play the W-League final yesterday so I'd say that's it.

With the country, and now the states closing borders all travel is finished.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)

No, in Russia the rugby championship has not yet begun. It starts on April 26th. It will last until October. As for foreign players. That is a lot of news from Europe that clubs are already cutting salaries. Obviously, if they cancel all games in 2020, then all players will be left without salaries. All players have different situations. Therefore, I admit, many people need money. Therefore, I allow players from top championships to move to Russia.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
2020 GRR SEASON CANCELLED

April 7, 2020

Rapid Rugby CEO Mark Evans has today announced the immediate cancellation of the 2020 Global Rapid Rugby season.

Long term travel restrictions in place as part of the worldwide fight against COVID-19 provided the Asia Pacific competition no choice this year.

Read more.......

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I saw someone suggest on twitter that Twiggy could have done what the NRL are planning and basically still run the GRR in isolation. Wonder if that was ever on the cards? It would have been the only football in the world and he was probably the only one that could have done it. A truly Global Rugby opportunity.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
How the NRL can run a competition with the current restrictions in place bemuses me and I'd suggest that GRR couldn't do it either.
Surely two teams in close contact breaches all current guidelines/advice/state laws.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I saw someone suggest on twitter that Twiggy could have done what the NRL are planning and basically still run the GRR in isolation. Wonder if that was ever on the cards? It would have been the only football in the world and he was probably the only one that could have done it. A truly Global Rugby opportunity.

Belarus Football plays on........

Twitter is hardly a reliable source.
GRR playing on alone was never on the cards once NZ closed its borders.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rugby Wrap Episode 4

April 08, 2020 - Season 1 - Episode 4
Western Force CEO Mark Evans discusses the cancellation of the 2020 season of Global Rapid Rugby.
Heath Tessmann shares how he is keeping his mind active during the restrictions.

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Interesting news for GRR and Russian clubs. The leadership of SLAR invited teams from Spain, Portugal and Mexico for the 2021 season. That is, European teams will fly across the ocean! The minimum distance from Lisbon to the nearest SLAR teams is 7500 km. Let me remind you that the distance from Shanghai to Krasnoyarsk is 3500 km. And Hong Kong to Krasnoyarsk 4100 km.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Súper_Liga_Americana_de_Rugby

Kpc

Herbert Moran (7)
Today, the director of the Enisei-STM Alexander Pervukhin gave a great interview. He was asked about the participation of Krasnoyarsk clubs in Asian Rugby and Global Rapid Rugby. He replied that several years ago he was trying to include Krasnoyarsk clubs in the Japanese Top League. Was twice in Tokyo, even entered into a partnership agreement with Panasonic Wild Knights. But the Japanese did not want to see foreign clubs in their league. Although, after that, every year they invite the Enisei-STM juniors to their Sanix World Cup Tournament.
As for Rapid Rugby, he said that they are interested, but there is no invitation from the organizers of the GRR. He is ready to come for negotiations if GRR wants to see the Russians in his tournament. He also said that he was very positive about the changes to the rules in Rapid Rugby. He likes the power try and rule 50-22.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Twiggy and inviting the Chinese to talk at the minster's briefing...

Like wow, wow, wow.

My respect for Twiggy just went south fast and by a long way.