• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Goodbye Steve Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I actually didn't mind Steve Walsh, coming from a Brumbies fan.. thats means a bit. I thought he was coming into his own as one of the better refs over the pass few years.

Catch ya hollywood !!! see you on the big screen next time ;)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I liked him as a ref. The amount of vitriol many Kiwis directed at him (not so much those on here) after his issues in the past prior to coming to Aus bemused me, and was pretty mean-spirited. Some of the Kiwi TV comms were the worst, in fact. I thought he was pretty accurate, and had a good feel for the game. It's a pity to see him go, I reckon.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
He was a good ref, certainly had his problems off the field before having a break. One of the few refs I believe to be stood down for behaviour probs on sideline, but I always liked him. Not sure he was ever picked on any more than any other ref, but like most complaints about refs I tend to ignore them.

Do have to wonder why he has retired 48 hours before he was due to ref English test on Saturday, and perhaps we will hear more down the line!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought he developed into a damn good ref after his break. I know people had issues with his interpersonal skills at time and I understand why. He knew the game though and I always respected that.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Steve seemed to have a good positional sense and was always "managing the game" by talking off the ball to players. Giving informal warnings. Seemed to be respected by players.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From Steve's statement issued by the ARU, some truthful sentiments I can only admire:
"I will be forever indebted to Australian Rugby for including me so openly following a difficult period for me personally. I would also like to acknowledge my time with New Zealand Rugby. Their decision to end my contract in 2009 was challenging, but was ultimately the best thing that has ever happened in my life. It made me confront who I was, and how I carried myself.”

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely no one actually believes what he said in the article, about "pursuing business interests outside of rugby." He could manage to see out the year and all his commitments if this were the case. I know no one will speculate but this is a RWC year - where he would've been one of the top referees at. Something has happened and it's been kept quiet and he's parted ways amicably.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
as a matter of interest was he scheduled in any capacity for this weekends round?

Was named to do England v France in the original match officials list circa Jan 23

Surely no one actually believes what he said in the article, about "pursuing business interests outside of rugby." He could manage to see out the year and all his commitments if this were the case. I know no one will speculate but this is a RWC year - where he would've been one of the top referees at. Something has happened and it's been kept quiet and he's parted ways amicably.

Strongly suspect that you're right, timing is all wrong & I'm also suspicious re the other kiwi who was down to AR the 6N match both pulled out of 2-3 days prior.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fair enough if that's the case but miss out on internationals and the RWC? Don't referees rake it in for refereeing big WC matches?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Don't forget Stevie boy pulled out of last weeks Irish/Wales test, also because of 'business commitments'. Seems there is an odour in the air.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Don't forget Stevie boy pulled out of last weeks Irish/Wales test, also because of 'business commitments'. Seems there is an odour in the air.

You haven't heard of his new business venture?

CAhgLhAWAAATkuY.jpg

On a more serious note, big loss for World Rugby. Walsh had his ups and downs (as do all referees) but seemed to be one of only a handful, let's call them the refereeing 1%ers, who could manage the game in such a way as to let it flow naturally and without disruption but still within the confines of the laws as he interpreted them.

Status
Not open for further replies.