• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Goodbye Steve Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Good to listen to. Quality ref, even better AR IMO. Lost faith in the TMO in the last 9 or 10 months which had impacted a number of his performances.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Bought an IGA i believe, was going through training and business management stuff and the timeline was shaky it all came together over the last few weeks.
I think his "down time" chat and ability to convey what his thoughts were through facial expressions allowed the game to flow. He refereed the game as opposed to the law and had great empathy for what the players were attempting to do, for me was the best in the world over the last 18 months.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Steve has been my favourite referee for a long period of time. I hope that he decided it was time to move on to new ventures and wish him luck. Certainly there are not many referees of his calibre, even if he was now past his best.

I did think he had a couple of poorer games that I saw this year and I agree with Highlander35 that the TMO seemed to sometimes have him in two minds. It always seemed to me that his personal views would reflect a concern that overuse is a backward step for the game (seems to be emerging as a problem for the NRL) and I liked that he often made a point of awarding the try without checking every one with the TMO.

Just maybe struggling with the speed of the game a bit as well; not keeping up and sometimes getting in the way I thought. Was still my favourite though, never in doubt that he was doing his best to help put the best possible game of rugby on show.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
"He who controls the price-check mike, controls the store".

Cyclopath, wouldn't that be the Trainee Manager Onduty?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
"He who controls the price-check mike, controls the store".

Cyclopath, wouldn't that be the Trainee Manager Onduty?
Steve will be more hands-on than that. Won't let that mike fall into the hands of the uninitiated. He'd be a bugger at karaoke nights!

Status
Not open for further replies.