• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Gordon part ways with 1st grade coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Grumbles mentioned in his rumour section that a Sydney club team were about to lose their coach - looks like it was Gordon.

At a Board meeting of the Gordon Rugby Club last night the directors decided that the position of the First Grade Coach will no longer be a position that employs a full time professional Rugby Coach.

This decision will come into effect for the 2010 season and was strongly influenced by the economic factors that face all rugby clubs at present. Gordon Rugby will now seek applications for a part time 1st grade coach. As a result of this decision and after having four very successful years as head Coach at Gordon, Lachlan Fear will now move to other Rugby pursuits.

Club President Graham Boyle acknowledges the success of Lachlan and what he has achieved over the years. Gordon Rugby General Manager, David Bezer echoes the president’s words and can see Fear moving into the representative coaching sphere with a great degree of success. “Adding to Fears achievements at Gordon is the fact that Fear was part of the successful Central Coast Rays coaching team that won the Australian National Championships in 2007. We wish Lachlan all the best in his coaching career” Bezer added.

This is a bit of a shock to me. Fear has done a great job over the past few years, qualifying for the finals series for the past two years with zero S14 players. Maybe a sign of the fiscal times that the club dont feel as though they can substantiate a fulltime coach.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
And its not like he would have been on much either.

Deadset, we're shithouse at looking after the grassroots aren't we ?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Question is: what was he paid? What are the players being paid? What is realistic? As much as the market will bear?

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
NTA said:
Question is: what was he paid? What are the players being paid? What is realistic? As much as the market will bear?

I too am somewhat surprised. Gordon have had a great year Club-wise. Including Colts 6 out of 7 teams thru to final 4, 3 into Grand-Finals and winners of 3rd Grade & Colts 3 Grand-Finals. It has been my understanding that they would continue to bolster ranks with quality newcomers next year. Guess we'll have to see what comes out of the woodwork?

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Maybe Stirling Mortlock's coming back to his home club as a part time coach once he realises he too old and past it to play at the top level :fishing

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I was a bit shocked to get that email too...

Lachie was doing a great job, so I am sure it is an honest financial decision.

Now that I am in the states, I've lost touch a little. How many of the clubs have full-time staff?
Where the hell is the NSWRU on this? Surely having career coaches at the top level of Australian club rugby is worth saving? I mean - shit- if we can't afford a national competition, at least make sure the clubs can afford to pay our coaches..

two things:
i) Decent coaches = decent talent coming through the ranks.

ii) Also means up & coming coaches are staying in Australia. Maybe an even more important point than keeping the young players in Australia.

Would it be worth G&GR putting together some kind of letter to the NSWRU/ARU outiling concerns for the obvious lack of depth at the national level and now the apparent demise of potential quality at the primary feeder level ????

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Its a nice idea. But the reality is the money in rugby is not going to the lower levels. Shit, Subbies charge people $10 to get into the finals, and this year our club had four weeks of finals! Its not much to me but when people are bringing their families its a bit rich.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
It seems the assistant coaches are going to fill the spot..

Ross Hopkins and Dave Dinning (fwds and backs respectively) with Ross being head coach.

I'm a big fan of Rossco, so it looks good to me.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
eddo said:
It seems the assistant coaches are going to fill the spot..

Ross Hopkins and Dave Dinning (fwds and backs respectively) with Ross being head coach.

I'm a big fan of Rossco, so it looks good to me.

Yes- refer Gordon website for total Coach appointments for next year.
Interesting to see the Jollows(Peter,Lee & Trent) moving up to take over 1st Grade Colts next year. I imagine they would be looking to bring in a lot of their old Gordon Juniors who they were very successful with, over the years.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Next part of the puzzle will be to work out where Lachlan Fear will end up. Another Shute Shield Club (money situation could rear its head again and would he want to carry on around the traps?), Europe or S14, the latter maybe as an asst coach for a season or two.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I reckon there would be more than a few opportunities overseas..

It just depends how far he wants to take it.. and is it career focused or cash??

Cash could lead to Italy, USA, Canada..
Career to anywhere else maybe as an assistant in the UK under someone well respected.

Either way - i hope it works out. One of the few coaches NOT sacked for performance/results.

Status
Not open for further replies.