• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Guscott's World XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I think most of us didn't include Sharpe and Thorn because they'll be gone very soon, but you're right about Nallet and Pape. But they aren't outstanding as we have seen from locks over the past few years. Patricio Albacete has always been good for Argentina and Toulouse aswell.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Surely it's not just limited to International games? Otherwise all of them would be based on one or two games played recently if it was a true form team. And in that case, Savea's had a great season with the 'Canes.

Guscott based his selection largely on one set of games, the first set of SANZAR tests against Ireland, England & Wales. He's known up north for changing his mind pretty frequently and if you asked him now he's probably change over half of the team. Ask him again in October and there'll be more NH players as he'll have just watched the early rounds of the HEC etc.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Hasn't Brad Thorn ticked all the boxes?

Mungo Ball Grand Final for Broncos
Mungo Ball State of Origin
Mungo Ball World Champ (not sure)

RWC World Champ
Super 15 Winner x several
Heineken Cup
Tri Nations
Bledisloe

Like a Caterpillar Diesel Engine. Just keeps on and on and on and on and....
He's a trophy tart. Picks a winner and backs himself to be good enough to get a guernsey..

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Guscott was a back. 'nuf said.

And not flash by any means.

But they do say that those who can't, teach (or something to that effect). So maybe his words do carry some weight? I'm surprised that Guscott didn't load up the XV with englishmen. Small mercies?

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Seriously, Castrogiovanni? And Cole? If you get into Castro, like Cian Healy did in the RWC, the fella seems to develope a terrible problem with his hamstrings although not so bad he can't keep Cole out of the Leicester side the week after. Adam Jones is comfortably the best Tight head on the planet and if Euan Murray played on sundays he would be up there as well.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Yes, he was. As balanced a runner as BOD or Cullen, but maybe lower on a few other qualities.

Which makes it damn interesting he picked McCabe in his spot - whether you're in Slimland or not...

Balanced maybe, but certainly not as strong in breaking the tackle as BOD, or as elusive or fast as Cullen. Maybe he picked McCabe because he wasn't such a hard tackler as M is.

Through my rose coloured glasses, I remember him as being predictable and lucky to have Will Carling inside him, to feed off the half breaks made.

Although I acknowledge the connection between opinions and arses (mine included), I can't understand the reverence that this player's opinion is given in that Eglish rag. Gagger, we differ on this one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This was just a team of the week column from a regular writer wasn't it?

It's not like they sought out his opinion in particular on his World XV. For that week's column they got their regular writer to put his team of the week down.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
This was just a team of the week column from a regular writer wasn't it?

It's not like they sought out his opinion in particular on his World XV. For that week's column they got their regular writer to put his team of the week down.

Yes, but he has a regular coloumn, where readers can ask him questions on anything rugby, from controversial ref'ing decisions, to what should be the makeup of the England front row.

I just prefer to take his views with a grain of salt, because I don't feel his abilities as a player equate to the stature given to him by the English rugby public.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Journalistic ability or opinion on the game is completely unrelated to someone's ability as a rugby player.

Cases in point: Tim Horan and Matt Burke.

Status
Not open for further replies.