• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Having no NRC is better how?

RuggaLuva03

Bob McCowan (2)
Do we genuinely think that Rugby Australia will put a third tier in anytime soon?
Nope. It would be nice to improve pathways and development. But Phil Waugh has already shown his allegiance to the old boys club - private schools, premier rugby and Super Rugby. I know he says he wants to cultivate the tribalism of premier rugby, but I fear a third tier would fall victim to infighting and self-interest (again) with the smaller clubs left behind.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
There has to be something. Aus A tours and international development tours/things like the QPR challenger series are an ok solution in the interim. But longer term it's not enough quality games for the players for the players on the Super Rugby fringe.

RuggaLuva03

Bob McCowan (2)
Could combine the Shute Shield and John Dent Cup with a few regional teams (thinking Central West, Illawarra and/or Central Coast) into a promotion-relegation competition? Test it for a year or two. See how it goes. Then maybe consider including Brisbane if it shows promising potential. Perth and Melbourne would have to be considered later.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Could combine the Shute Shield and John Dent Cup with a few regional teams (thinking Central West, Illawarra and/or Central Coast) into a promotion-relegation competition? Test it for a year or two. See how it goes. Then maybe consider including Brisbane if it shows promising potential. Perth and Melbourne would have to be considered later.

How does that work without major competition restructuring when JID runs Seniors, Reserves and Colts and SRU runs Grades 1-4 & Colts 1-3?

RuggaLuva03

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't know. Maybe have it that the first grade teams plays in the combined comp with the remaining grades playing in their regional comps. Keeps rugby being played locally every weekend and saves the clubs money having only one grade that has to travel.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
They should restart small.
One team in each of the states with a super team.
gradually add in western Sydney, second qld and have a 7 team comp
Home and away season. Winner gets the cup.
Gradually introduce playoffs.
Needs to be as low cost as possible while still providing enough competitive matches for players

RuggaLuva03

Bob McCowan (2)
Needs to be as low cost as possible while still providing enough competitive matches for players
Do you think this would this be played post-Super Rugby season or replace Super Rugby?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Surely any comp should be played post Super Rugby whilst the International season is on.

Let the Super players not in the Wallabies keep playing and open spots for the best Club/U20s. If it was at the same time as Super you crush club rugby which should still be played to add games to developing players season.

If a guy could play at least 12 games of club, 10 games of a ‘NRC’ and maybe a few bench games of Super Rugby and the U20s fixtures we will get 25 games of Rugby into these guys per year which has to be the minimum.

I also think Clubs need to still be supported because they do a lot of the heavy lifting of junior footy prior to the school systems. I’d worry if you remove their premier product it will just wither.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Forget west Sydney at this stage .. strengthen your bases … get some success and the international level then expand out … Id have a combined east/south side…and a north Sydney side.. first off

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Another option for a 3rd tier ) would be to take a leaf out the US and have a national college / Uni system …

this could be the uni itself ( eg Sydney Uni)… or a joint venture between club and college ( eg kind of like Randwick does with UNSW) ….

this would be a easier way of making a national comp as the Universities are already established geographically.

you could have Melbourne, Canberra, Wollongong, sydney / UNSW , Newcastle , Brisbane, Sunshine Coast , Perth etc …. Theses colleges would also automatically bring with them tribalism within the community/ students

it could be a mutually beneficial partnership as 1) universities generally have better facilities than clubs, 2) it brings in revenue for universities 3) attract athletes to stay in Union with a promise of degree / scholarship.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Could work but it would be a huge effort to get them working towards it. UNSW have a rugby club in subbies as do Macquarie. Bond and UQ in QLD QPR like Sydney in Shute Shield. Wollongong play in the country comp down south.

You’d also be gutting current club comps if they left.

You’d have to show it would make money to get them interested. US collegiate sport is an absolute money printer for them and runs at a profit. I dare say our 3rd tier will not.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
Could work but it would be a huge effort to get them working towards it. UNSW have a rugby club in subbies as do Macquarie. Bond and UQ in QLD QPR like Sydney in Shute Shield. Wollongong play in the country comp down south
You’d also be gutting current club comps if they left.

You’d have to show it would make money to get them interested. US collegiate sport is an absolute money printer for them and runs at a profit. I dare say our 3rd tier will not.
Id try and get most clubs involved … eg randwick easts juniors could aligned to UNSW at a 1st grade ..
This is only a start, if it became successful you’d have room for expansion- eg Western Sydney Uni drawing from parramatta/Penrith /blue mountains juniors …. Southern districts to feed Wollongong Uni…or ….. Eastwood feeding Macquarie

just thinking outside the box

regarding money, sure it’s not on the US level, but Sydney Uni rugby club would definitely be the most profitable sport at the college already . And they have been offering scholarships for decades. A national comp may lead to bragging rights amongst Universities and therefore financial interest.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Any idea is better than the current situation and out of the box thinking is probably what’s needed.

I just think we need something in place as soon as possible so I keep beating on the Super Rugby A comp. Use built facilities and systems and allow the development of coaches to come through the same system. Ideally players would be learning that teams methods as well and be ready to play when needed.

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Any idea is better than the current situation and out of the box thinking is probably what’s needed.

I just think we need something in place as soon as possible so I keep beating on the Super Rugby A comp. Use built facilities and systems and allow the development of coaches to come through the same system. Ideally players would be learning that teams methods as well and be ready to play when needed.

This would also be good if we are going to end up in a centraliaed model and there is a bit of sway with how RA wants clubs to play. So there would be similar systems from reserve grade super rugby australia (or whatever you want to call it) all the way to the wallabies. Then maybe when we play international rugby, the players know the game plan.