• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Height and Weight Exaggerations in Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Heights and weights seem to be inconsistent. Apparently Mortlock hasn't put on a kilo in the past 8 years. I guess my eyes must be deceiving me. Also Saia Fainga'a has been listed as 105kg. I'd believe that after seeing his fat arse on Sunday however I heard him mentioned as 92kg on the Spring Tour.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From your picture ruggo it puts willy g closer to the figure of 170cm than 175cm.

JOC (James O'Connor) is quoted on the ARU site as 180cm and 88kgs. I would expect that to be about 178cm and 83/84 kgs there is no way he is 88

Height and weights have always been rubbery. When new players come through the system, they (or their manager) often bump up stats, perhaps to help push their case, and those numbers tend to stick around as noted by posters above. The average bloke on the street will usually round up by half an inch to an inch, anyway, without even knowing... Much more than that is harder to get away with, though, and putting Genia at 182 is just having a giraffe.

JOC (James O'Connor) is not that tall, and 5'10" (or 177 - 178 cm) would be likely near the mark. But the guy is not as 'Beiber' as he might seem on TV and does have a fairly heavy build, so 88 kg is not beyond belief. He is more a 2nd-five-type player (and a number 10!) rather than a Nonu-type centre at 12, though, obviously.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Dobduff - Not sure where on the program QC (Quade Cooper) was listed at 88, but they weighed in for the benchpress, and he was 81kg.

Incidentally, he broke the previous 75% body weight record of 35 reps (36), but later a kyaker named Ken Wallace broke that, for 38.

However, QC (Quade Cooper) was dudded a bit. He was made to lift 65kg. Those amongst us with rudimentary mathematical abilities will raise an eyebrow at that. It's 80.2% of his bodyweight. Wallace lifted a more correct 75.8% of his weight. To give an idea of how lopsided it is, Kurt Gidley is the same weight as Wallace, 89kg, but lifted the same weight as QC (Quade Cooper). All dodgy, all typical reality tv but QC (Quade Cooper) going ok thus far.

Anyway that's all a bit OT back to the point lads...

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Dobduff - Not sure where on the program QC (Quade Cooper) was listed at 88, but they weighed in for the benchpress, and he was 81kg.

Incidentally, he broke the previous 75% body weight record of 35 reps (36), but later a kyaker named Ken Wallace broke that, for 38.

However, QC (Quade Cooper) was dudded a bit. He was made to lift 65kg. Those amongst us with rudimentary mathematical abilities will raise an eyebrow at that. It's 80.2% of his bodyweight. Wallace lifted a more correct 75.8% of his weight. To give an idea of how lopsided it is, Kurt Gidley is the same weight as Wallace, 89kg, but lifted the same weight as QC (Quade Cooper). All dodgy, all typical reality tv but QC (Quade Cooper) going ok thus far.

Anyway that's all a bit OT back to the point lads...

Good point, 81kg is within realistic range for him if perhaps lighter than some may have guessed.

Was the weigh-in shown on the show? Alternatively, if he was at 88 kg, then he would have been lifting at around 75% bodyweight...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Mouse: http://www.greatestathlete.com.au/

Watch again bro Big dell says 88kgs for quade lifting 65kgs.

Ken wallace had a mammoth effort, first time he cheated a bit. Second time he still beat Quade, strong guy.

Incidently JOC (James O'Connor) was listed at 85.5 kgs last year, he was a bit of a monster and apparently had a shoulder injury as well

G

Goldenone

It happens in all sports as someone else has already mentioned.I remember years ago having dinner with the coach of a recently resurrected NBL team from the southern states.He referred to a phenomenon known as " The Pacific Shrink",they would recruit players said to be 6'10" in th eU.S. but by the time they landed in Sydney they were ony 6'2" !!!

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
They're just publicity stats. All part of the branding and licensing machine at work within all major modern sports.

To be honest I don't really mind them. I like a bit of pantomime with my sport. All these ever increasing stats give us something to talk about. I love the start of year info sheet telling me that not only have all the members of my favorite team all stacked on 6kg of muscle in the off season without sacrificing speed, but they have also, mysteriously, managed to grow 3cm. He's a mungo admittedly, but Gordon Tallis gained at least 3kg and a centimeter every year of his career. By the time he was playing his last origin series he was about 150kg, and over two meters tall.

I personally think they should take a leaf out of pro wrestling's book and start developing back stories. I want to hear Berrick Barnes' introduction voice-over describe hm as an ex-government assassin, known for his devastating crane style martial arts, or have Rocky Elsom's fact sheet tell me about how, as a result of a bungled medical experiment, he is actually able to breath fire.

:lmao:

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm 180cm.

Saia aint 188cm

Attachments

• twitter crew.jpg
    twitter crew.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 360

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Mouse: http://www.greatestathlete.com.au/

Watch again bro Big dell says 88kgs for quade lifting 65kgs.

Ken wallace had a mammoth effort, first time he cheated a bit. Second time he still beat Quade, strong guy.

Incidently JOC (James O'Connor) was listed at 85.5 kgs last year, he was a bit of a monster and apparently had a shoulder injury as well

True dat dobduff, Dell did say that. However the athlete profiles on the site do list QC (Quade Cooper) at 81kg. Buggered if I know. From now on, it falls into the "smaller than me" or "bigger than me" categories. They all go in the former.

Wallace's adrenalin driven second effort was massive. Can't know what rest they game him, but it's a big effort regardless.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Tom Carter is well exaggerated - I am 178cm at a pinch, and I was standing next to the fence at the trial at SFS (elbowing little tykes out the way trying to get an autograph from Chariots) and he didn't seem 10 cm taller and 25-odd kg heavier than me (as the Wiki says). Not saying he's a midget, but he's not massive. Plus he looks 16.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Tom Carter is well exaggerated - I am 178cm at a pinch, and I was standing next to the fence at the trial at SFS (elbowing little tykes out the way trying to get an autograph from Chariots) and he didn't seem 10 cm taller and 25-odd kg heavier than me (as the Wiki says). Not saying he's a midget, but he's not massive. Plus he looks 16.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.