• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken European Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Setanta Sports have most of the games, some live some delayed. They also show the 3 pro comps and the Amlin Cup. I'd recommend it ($10 a month) to any serious rugby fan here.

Is that Amlin cup the English comp (with London Irish in it) or am I getting that confused with something else? Cause if it is then I'm considering forking out the extra $10/mth.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Is that Amlin cup the English comp (with London Irish in it) or am I getting that confused with something else? Cause if it is then I'm considering forking out the extra $10/mth.

Amlin Cup is the 2nd tier of the Heineken, like the Europa Cup if you know your soccer. It's got the Pro 12 (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy), Aviva (England) and Top 14 (France).

Here's their rugby schedule for November http://www.setanta.com/au/Our-Sports/Rugby/

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Setanta Sports have most of the games, some live some delayed. They also show the 3 pro comps and the Amlin Cup. I'd recommend it ($10 a month) to any serious rugby fan here.

Setanta will show 6 of the 12 games and usually it's the important ones, They also show Pro 12 (used to be called the Magners League), 3 Aviva Premiership games a week and a highlights show of the Pro12 and AP - plus a rugby show called Rugby Breakdown which Aussie Matt Williams host and usually has the laconic ex-Leinster and Ireland player, Neil Francis, in it.

It's easy to sign up in 5 minutes.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Montpellier 16 Leinster 16

This was supposed to be a walkover for the champions from Ireland but they weren't technically great in the 1st half and the home team out-hustled them to be 7 points ahead at oranges.

It looked like the same in the 3rd quarter but after that the experience of Leinster came through. There was a weird disallowed penalty kick attempted by Leinster. It didn't go over the top of the goal post but looked like the ball was slotted just inside. The replay on slow motion seemed to show that too because you couldn't see the post being obscured by the ball.

It didn't matter because Leinster scored a try straight after the 22 drop out but that kick looked over for all money.

It's always a pleasure to watch Montpellier when Gorgodze is playing. His good RWC form continued and he was MOTM

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ulster 16 Clermont 11

Bugger, but at least it was an Irish team that beat them. Ulster had been a bit unimpressive this season so far but as I mentioned earlier, Ravenhill can be a fortress for them in big games. They didn't look too hot in the first half when they turned over too much ball, but they stayed in touch and in the 2nd half it was Clermont who dropped their standards.

As qwerty said: it was D'Arcy that set up that top Ulster try. I've seen him play a lot over there in the last 2 seasons, but that was his finest moment, and who cares if it was from the bench. And commentators - he came over to Ireland directly from the Manly Rugby Union team not the league team.

Another Aussie didn't have a great game. I wondered why Brock James was on the bench because I had seen him 3-4 times this season and he was in great form apart from the odd missed tackle. New acquisition Skrela ran on at 10 and when James came from the bench he had a horrible game starting from his penalty kick when he stubbed his toe and the ball went to cover point. After that it got really bad.

Well done to Ulster though. If the Clermont goal kickers were on song they would have lost but who knows really?

Munster 23 Northampton 21

Bloody hell it's in the 83rd minute and play is in the 40th phase - 40th !!!. Munster are 1 point behind and have the ball. The pill is passed to ROG he's right in front but 42 meters out. He slots it. The Thomond Park faithful go bananas. Munster win !!

This high drama in pool games is something that Super Rugby can never have in the present format. Each home game win is a must and striving for a bonus point loss is a contest within a contest. I love this tournament.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Amlin Cup is the 2nd tier of the Heineken, like the Europa Cup if you know your soccer. It's got the Pro 12 (Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy), Aviva (England) and Top 14 (France).

Didn't this second tier European competition have the odd Spanish and Romanian club in past years?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Lee it wasn't just Munster fans going mad when the drop goal went over. Was the same in my house in front of the TV even though we're avid Leinster fans. There were a few times in the 40 phases when someone almost knocked on and just recovered. I changed from there's no way they can do it to, you know what they're gonna bloody do it so many times over those 4 minutes.

Tony McGahan the Munster coach said after the game that it felt like a round 6 game and that's exactly what it felt like to me too.

On Ulster and D'Arcy. Although Ulster have struggled most years to get out of their pool since winning it back in 99 they've only actually lost 6 out of 30 HEC games at Raven Hill. D'Arcy has looked a really good player when he's gotten the shout for Ulster. Danieli was slotted into FB to get all of Ulsters best backs on the field for the start. But what a performance from the bench by D'Arcy the way he cut back across the pitch to create space and then the delay on his pass to fix the last defender were both top class.

Also just have to say wow at Stephen Ferris' perfomance especially contrasted with Sean O'Brien for Leinster. I think Heaslip comparitively poor form allowed Montpellier to target O'Brien. Also as they said in commetary on Sky if Gorgodze was from any of the top 6 Nations in the world he'd be a superstar by now.

jauzy19

Ward Prentice (10)
Luke Burgess MOTM in Toulouse's victory over Gloucester 21-17. Toulouse has been poor but deserved to win. Very good first game indeed for Burgess (and Gary Botha too).

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Oh, and: last night, John Hayes became the first person ever to play in 100 HEC games.

G'wan, Bull, 'tis your field! :D

F

François

I can confirm that Burgess played great today. He was all over the place, dynamic, strong in contact, always getting his team on the front foot. I see Doussain as a potential French version of Burgo, so it's going to be great for him to play alongside him. I just hope the game time is shared equally.

And McAlister is from another planet. Either the standards in Europe are much lower, either he has found again the rugby that made him an All Black in the first place.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Got to say the intensity of the HC can hardly be beaten.

I don't buy for a second that it's inferior to Super Rugby. More kicking than we are used to down here which might be why there is that perception. I thing people who think that have probably not watched the games much.

Some great games thsi weekend and it will get better.

Gorgodza is the Man with a CAPITAL M. Seriously, how good is that bloke?

Brian Mujati is well on his way to becoming the premier tightead prop in the world. The Munster pack will be very happy they don't see him again for a while. I hope that next Bok coach has his eyes wide open.

M

macg101

Jesus proper heart attack there in the first game of the pool stages!! I'm not sure I can handle anymore of this. Fair play to Peter O'Mahony or "O'Malley as that pesky sky sports presenter has dubbed him, great game.

You're dead right Bardon, would be a shame if we didn't support the other Irish provinces when they are facing other teams.

Poor SOB is back down to earth with a bang, two games in a row where he, or his ankles have been targeted in a big way.

T

thedubs

Jesus proper heart attack there in the first game of the pool stages!! I'm not sure I can handle anymore of this. Fair play to Peter O'Mahony or "O'Malley as that pesky sky sports presenter has dubbed him, great game.

You're dead right Bardon, would be a shame if we didn't support the other Irish provinces when they are facing other teams.

Poor SOB is back down to earth with a bang, two games in a row where he, or his ankles have been targeted in a big way.

Thats what happens if your a playmaker or someone who gets your team on the front foot so obviously for a team - the opposing team with double tag you, and try and knock you back constantly so the crowd cheers!

It wouldnt be that bad if Heaslip wasn't in disastrous loose form to relieve him. Nowt wrong with SOB's form, just that he won't get as many opportunities this year I fear, salt in the would with Drico gone. Shaggys out for a while. Hines gone too. Could be a long auld season - But with Sexton at the strings hopefully things will come good. ROG and Sexton threw down a huge statement this weekend, those two could fight it out for the best 10 in europe let alone Ireland!

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)

\

For those who haven't seen it: this is the polite version;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iau_zmBXAvE&feature=player_embedded

And this is what it's like being there, and why there are a surprisingly large number of cardiologists who go to Munster matches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=55zX8GWkhoQ

They'll kill me yet. I've told some of them this, to their faces, and they sheepishly agree; they'll kill me yet...

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Couldnt help but hop onto this video instead of watching the drop goal, ROG looks so uncomfortable haha

[video=youtube;inoy6eoPvdU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inoy6eoPvdU&feature=related[/video]

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone got some highlights of Burgo from the toulouse game? Would be good to see

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
Toulouse - Gloucester:
Burgo did very well, except for a few missed passes in the first half. Gary Botha got bullied in the scrum, Servat was a huge improvement when he came on. Toulouse have room to improve, they were missing at least five internationals. And when the team settles and starts getting combination right, they'll be nearly unstoppable methinks.
Munster-Northampton:
ROFG did the usual... I hate the guy, but his nerves can only be admired. Mujati was destroying his opposite, but was being penalised... a very strange interpretation by the ref there. Northampton's back three are top notch. Artemyiev (or whatever) is really good, he could play internationally for several tier I sides.
Ulster-Clermont:
LG, what the hell happenned with Brock James' kicking? He slotted over 40 in a row a few seasons back, and now he's missing some pretty incredible ones...
Leinster-Montpellier:
Message to Leo Cullen: if you're three points down, dominating, there are over five minutes left and you have a kickable penalty, TAKE THE BLOODY POINTS!!! They went for the corner at least three times, and that meant they didn't win the game in the end. Not a crowd pleaser, but a win away in France is something you have to take.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thomond my house was like that at the end too with a few less people than were at your namesake. The old addage of never write off a Munster team applies to this years HEC. They may not be the vintage of a few years ago. But they have young, talented, hungry players coming through into the team and wanting to make their mark. Also it's good to see DoC where he belongs at the moment. Coming from the bench with a point to prove while younger talent is developed.

I think for Leinster and Ireland Heaslip could do with a spell on the bench. It's not that he's playing badly, it's that he's no where near the impact in the loose as before. Being benched for a bit might be the kick up the backside he needs. It's similar to Rocky Elsom for Australia. One hell of a player but not doing it recently and continually picking him despite his poor form hasn't worked. Some players can play their way out of bad form, but for others they think they must be doing ok if they're still getting picked and don't step it up. I think there's evidence which Heaslip is when one of his best recent performances was from off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.