• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Heineken European Cup 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Howlett is out for the rest of the season with ruptured achilles tendon.
Terrible news, Is Digby Ioane at a loose end for a couple of months, or O'Connor? Sure we wouldn't be fussy!?! "I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special." - Doug Howlett talking about winning the Heineken cup with Munster.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That is very sad news. Offside Doug has been a constant of excellence for Munster since he left the land of the Long Black Cloud. He had lost his sprinter's pace but was still fast enough and, if anything, played smarter than he ever had.

I watch a bit of Euro rugby and IMO there is not anybody there who makes better decisions than Dougie. Amongst other things: if a try can be "finished" or a team mate can do so, he will put it in the bank.

Bugger.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Ulster got a bonus point win against Aironi 31-10. Adam D'Arcy scored one of their 5 tries. So Ulster still in with a shout of qualifying for the knock out stages.

Cardiff didn't managed to get the bonus point against Edinburgh but winning 25-8 they denied Edinburgh a losing bonus point. If they beat them in the return they're as good as through to the quarters. But Edinburgh have always been a hard team to beat on their own patch and getting the away win against LI in week 1 means they'll still feel they've got a chance to qualify.

Quins were 14 from 14 before tonights game against Toulouse. But despite all their effort Toulouse had too much for them winning 21-10. There was a clear gap in class between the 2 teams. Quins need to win next week in Toulouse, a big ask, to have any real chance to qualify. Lose and they need two bonus point wins and results in other pools to go their way for a best runners up spot. There was a nice little NZ cameo where McAllister absolutely steam rollered Nick Evans in the 2nd half.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Northampton tried to make a game of it against Castres but 2 yellow cards cost them. Final score 41-22. Northampton got a bonus point for 4 tries but last years beaten finalist are pretty much out at the group stage now. They can get a measure of revenge next week in the return.

Treviso have been building to a big shock this year and they've gotten it today. They beat Biaritz 30-26 with Biaritz getting both 4 try and losing bonus point. So in pool 5 anyone can still qualify.

Gloucester won 14-10 away to Connacht but this was basically the also rans in the pool playing each other.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Munster won another tight HEC game this week. Scarlets 14 Munster 17. O'Gara gave Priestland a bit of a schooling and in the 2nd half he was moved to FB to make way for S.Jones at 10. I rate Priestland very highly and he'll learn a lot from today. But O'Gara kicked all his points and put Munster in the right parts of the pitch as they ran the clock down in the last 20. Once again a referee got smashed for getting too close to the breakdown. This time it was Romain Poite.

Munster may not have the players of their glory years but their biggest strength has always been how well they performed as a team. This years team is going to take some beating and no one will want to get them in the QF if they get out of this pool.

London Irish got a bonus point win 34-14 against Racing to give themselves a glimmer of a hope to qualify from their pool is Cardiff slip up.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In the late games today Saracens beat Osprey 31-26 in the best game of the weekend so far. Osprey got a losing bonus point and Sarries failed to get the 4 tries so still all to play for.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Leinster mad hard work of beating Bath 18-13. They butchered a number of certain tries especially where they had a 4 on 1 out wide close to the line and SoB tried to go himself instead of passing it out for an easy stroll in. There were some huge hits through out the game and it was very entertaining.

Glasgow beat Montpellier 20-15 but if Leinster beat bath again next week I'd epxect them to go on and win the pool.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Clermont look really good. Their defence is outstanding, closing the space very quickly.

Agree but they should have made the most of the 10 minutes when Leicester were down to 13. I know they scored a try but they could have secured the bonus point by now. It's a tight pool and every point could count.

M

machiavelli

Agree but they should have made the most of the 10 minutes when Leicester were down to 13. I know they scored a try but they could have secured the bonus point by now. It's a tight pool and every point could count.

Clerm lost 2 props today and it looks like long term ... that could cost especially at Welford rd return.

They're a damn good side and now they've got the french championship bogey off their shoulders .. they'll go for the HC although its VERY difficult to go for the T14 and the HC !!

The loss at Ulster will hurt and maybe 2nd in this competitive Pool won't be enough to go through ?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yes the loss of the props is a big blow for Clermont and next week will be the big test for them in this pool. Normally a pool like this with an Italian side would have a great chance of having 2 teams through. Not so in Treviso's pool this year, but so far Aironi are not up to that standard.

With the 3 teams in with a chance beating each other they probably need 1 of those 3 to fall away in the last 2 matches for 2 teams to go through. It's going to be an even more exciting weekend next week.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Any news on how Gits is performing at Toulon in the French league?

I saw a couple f reviews of the Toulon v Tolouse game, where Burgo got a meat pie, but not much mention of Giteau. I see this weeks game, he's not even in the starting 22.

What's the low down?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any news on how Gits is performing at Toulon in the French league?

I saw a couple f reviews of the Toulon v Tolouse game, where Burgo got a meat pie, but not much mention of Giteau. I see this weeks game, he's not even in the starting 22.

What's the low down?

Burgo's try was from an intercept. Of a Matt Giteau pass.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Leinster mad hard work of beating Bath 18-13. They butchered a number of certain tries especially where they had a 4 on 1 out wide close to the line and SoB tried to go himself instead of passing it out for an easy stroll in. There were some huge hits through out the game and it was very entertaining.

Glasgow beat Montpellier 20-15 but if Leinster beat bath again next week I'd epxect them to go on and win the pool.

Leinster were lucky. Bath were terrible. If Leinster keep playing like that they aren't going far.

Status
Not open for further replies.