• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Highlanders v Reds Good Friday 29th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
His role is Director of Coaching, at the end of this season he was going to step back and become Director of Rugby.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
If the Highlanders click, with home advantage they'll win - just. However, they haven't got it together in 4 matches and I am not sure they will this week. P

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Things are looking up for the Reds but they will have to be on top of their game to get a win in this one. While the Clan haven't won a game yet they have come close to some very good opposition. They've lost twice to the reigning champs, lost to a good Blues team and suffered against a Crusaders team finding some form. I would argue that their opposition has been much better than the Reds have faced, apart form the Brumbies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is Nonu the kiss of death for S15 sides?

Wherever he goes they turn to poo

Here's my Growden moment.

Someone keen on rugby i know, let's call him Transistor, spoke to some Blues players and staff after there trial in Toowoomba. Transistor was having a chat to them and gave them some crap about how the Highlanders (Transistor's team) would beat them this year. Apparently a couple of comments were made about how Nonu was bad news and they would struggle this year.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Reds by15 - good call 4918- /snip
Reds by 15
Reds by 15

Quoted.

Some fans just never learn. No easy beats in this competition and when you take opposition lightly you end up with egg on your face. Did we not learn that 2 weeks ago?

On song the Highlanders have a pack that can dominate any other in the comp. At full strength, which they are far from.
Their Back three is easily just as potent as ours. Better.
Slade is a good enough goal kicker to bury any opposition. Can't agree, he was poor last week (the difference was goal kicking). The week before he missed a regulation kick at a crucial juncture. Don't bet the house on him.
They have a home crowd that is wild in support of their team. They're a bit of alright.

We will need to bring everything including a polished performance if we are to beat these fellas.

I would almost, i repeat almost, argue that the Highlanders have played better rugby than the Reds have this year. Circumstances have been quite different though. I think it'll be a tight game. There's a reason the bookies are backing the Highlanders though I wouldn't be betting on this game.

Looking forward to it.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Glad Poki is not playing even if I was bringing him into my fantasy side.

Hore and Woodcock are back so they will be stronger up front but the back row leaves a a bit to be desired and Thorn is finally starting to show his age. Win up front and the Reds will get over the line. If the breakdowns turn to a shot fight and the ball is slow it will be close.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't understand everyone talking up the reds.

Will be a massive challenge to topple the 'landers at home. I'm tipping this to be the game of the year.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is going to be a tough game - for both sides.

For me, both the Reds and Highlanders have been playing at about the same level; the only difference is that the Reds have been managing to get away with a few wins while the Highlanders have ended up on the wrong side of the scoreboard.

Something has to click for either or both sides soon. I have a feeling that it won't be this weekend though. And I have no idea who will emerge as the winner on Friday. As a Reds fan, it is obvious who I want to win, but there is something about the Highlanders that really worry me. Even a depleted Highlanders outfit.

Funny thing is, I worry more leading about the Reds' chances leading up to a Highlanders game than I do leading up to Reds v Crusaders, or Reds v Chiefs game. It is just something about their style of play I think.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Who's likely to come in for Poki? Popoalii? If so, they don't lose a hell of a lot. Both can make something out of absolutely nothing.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
I have a feeling that this will be the week the Highlanders finally bounce back. Call me crazy but Highlanders by 2 tries or more, by no real fault of the Reds, just the Highlanders performing to their potential.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
A lot of talk about the Clan at home being a tough proposition. Whilst home ground is always an advantage, a game in Dunedin isn't as imposing as it used to be at the House of Pain. The new stadium is a fantastic facility but takes away the weather advantage for the Highlanders.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Yesterday there was a story saying that Qld hadn't won in Otago/Southland since 1981.

So none of this Reds 22 was even born the last time we beat them over there.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The one good thing about the team under Link, and mentioned by Ed on the podslam, is that this team likes to achieve goals or break records. Being the first Qld team to win in the deep south of NZ would be a good achievement.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If either team are off their game they will lose.

It's a bit hard to tell exactly where the Reds are at this season. To date, their forward play and general defence has been very solid, but otherwise they've been less than impressive. They're probably at the precipice right now, and will go one way or the other.

The return of Genia, and now Horwill, are positive signs. It hasn't taken Genia long to show signs that he will soon retake his spot as the best halfback in the world. It was evident last week that Cooper seems to improve dramatically outside Genia. Horwill also brings some much needed leadership to the forwards. The Reds have named probably their strongest run-on forward pack this year. If they play to their potential they'll get the win.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I just hope the Reds come out firing and don't put in another limp effort like they did 2 weeks ago.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quade Cooper was in if he didn't pass to Slipper.. is he too hesitant to run now?

Just ran and set up the try.

Just before that try I was thinking this start by the Reds was very reminiscent of their start vs the Crusaders last year in ChCh and then Hanson goes and scores..

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Cooper looking in decent nick here. Don't think there is a better player in world rugby who is better to watch when in full flow.

On another note is the Zoo not happening tonight? Doesn't seem to be much of the usual carnival atmosphere there!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BGgKQchCMAAlrO_.jpg

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Anyone else think the Gill penalty was dodgy as? I thought he clearly released the player, and there was a clear counter attack opportunity on for the Reds...

Status
Not open for further replies.