• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Higlanders vs Chiefs RD2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the weekend's action kicks off in Dunedin this weekend, in what is arguably the match of the round. Last years champions face off against a Highlanders outfit that has recruited strongly over the off season.

Forsyth Barr, being an indoor stadium, will provide a dry track. This game could really open up during the later stages of the match. As always, the Highlanders are expected to field a very strong forward pack, an area where the Chiefs have been criticised in recent years. Make no mistake though, I expect the Chiefs pigs to stand up and show last year was no fluke.

It's tough to pick a winner here but I am going to tip the Chiefs to just get over the line, courtesy of Cruden's boot.

Thoughts?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Nah, Highlanders by 7+.

They are my tip for NZ conference winners this year. They have been building well in the past few years and seem to have developed a solid culture and fan base at home now. Since Forsyth-Barr came online they have really started lifting their tempo also. They recruited well in the off season while the two powerhouses of NZ Rugby have lost key players (SBW & Taumololo and McCaw).

Should be a cracking game and I can't wait for it!!!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Chiefs backline looks a bit thin once you get past Cruden and Kerr-Barlow. The pack is nothing to quiver about either. I know the Highlanders team hasn't been announced yet, but with a team including Woodcock, Thorn, Smith, Nonu, Gear and B.Smith, they will be pretty hard to beat, especially at home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This will be interesting for both teams. The Highlanders have recruited really well but they will miss Adam Thomson badly. He has been one of the most dominant Super Rugby players in recent years.

Likewise, the Chiefs are reigning champions but they have to fill the void left by SBW. He was certainly one of the most dominant players in Super Rugby last year and a major reason they won the title.

Kerr-Barlow and Cruden were certainly the best halves combination in the competition last year and it will be essential for the Chiefs for their form to continue this season if they are going to compete for the title again.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I am curious to see who gets the gig as starting 10 for the Highlanders. Both Slade and Sopoanga make compelling cases.

Edit: Seems like I am late to the party and Slade didn't even get a look in.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Highlanders
1. Tony Woodcock , 2. Brayden Mitchell , 3. Ma'afu Fia , 4. Jarrad Hoeata (vc) , 5. Josh Bekhuis , 6. Joe Wheeler , 7. John Hardie , 8. Nasi Manu , 9. Aaron Smith , 10. Lima Sopoaga , 11. Hosea Gear (c) , 12. Ma'a Nonu , 13. Phil Burleigh , 14. Kade Poki , 15. Ben Smith
Replacements :16. Liam Coltman , 17. Bronson Murray , 18. Elliot Dixon , 19. Tim Boys , 20. Fumiaki Tanaka , 21. Hayden Parker , 22. Buxton Popoalii

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Chiefs
1. Pauliasi Manu, 2. Hika Elliot, 3. Ben Afeaki, 4. Craig Clarke (c) , 5. Brodie Retallick, 6. Liam Messam, 7. Sam Cane, 8. Fritz Lee, 9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow, 10. Aaron Cruden, 11. Asaeli Tikoirotuma, 12. Bundee Aki, 13. Tim Nanai-Williams, 14. Patrick Osborne , 15. Gareth Anscombe
16. Rhys Marshall, 17. Ben Tameifuna, 18. Michael Fitzgerald, 19. Tanerau Latimer, 20. Augustine Pulu, 21. Charlie Ngatai, 22. Lelia Masaga

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It hangs on Sopoaga for mine. I rate him, and hope/think he has overcome some of the nerves that caused his random stuff-ups last year, so I think Highlanders by <7.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
I am curious to see who gets the gig as starting 10 for the Highlanders. Both Slade and Sopoanga make compelling cases.

Edit: Seems like I am late to the party and Slade didn't even get a look in.

Slade is recovering from injury. Sopoaga has it by default, Hayden Parker on the bench is a decent subbie as well.

This will be interesting for both teams. The Highlanders have recruited really well but they will miss Adam Thomson badly. He has been one of the most dominant Super Rugby players in recent years.

Yeah, he's quite a loss but I think John Hardie can really step up. If he stays injury free this year, no worries at 7.

GAME TIME!! I'm so excited I already need to change my pants.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Looks like another year of not taking guaranteed 3 pointers.. worked out this time.

Is it just me or did Smith drop that over the line?
I thought it was good, came lose after he grounded. Then again, of course I'm going to say that.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This from FoxSports online commentary:

Kick Off
Welcome to the FOX SPORTS Rugby Match Centre for coverage of tonight's week 2 match between the Highlanders and the Chiefs coming to you live from Forsyth Barr Stadium. Steve R. Walsh is in charge here as play is under way. Perfect conditions for Rugby in Dunedin.

It's an indoor stadium what were you expecting?!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez ,what a game!! Gwerty, rumour has it Nonu was big reason Anscombe was released by Blues, then he left afterwards, like I say just a rumour but....... .
Tigerland said:Chiefs backline looks a bit thin once you get past Cruden and Kerr-Barlow. The pack is nothing to quiver about either.
Noy sure if you watched Reds play Chiefs preseason Tiger, but don't think you would write of Chiefs backline if you had,as I said then, I think Aki at 12 is going to be pretty useful, and have to admit I was surprised how well nanai-Williams went at 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.