• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Honest Assessment of Richard Graham's Coaching Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am quite sure that Link and Graham have done bugger all different, but this week Link is the feather duster and Graham is the Rooster. Funny that

Both these guys know their stuff but you can't plan or set goals around injuries to key players or afford to clear out contracted players(the "dead" wood).

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I have been critical of Woody, but I will say at least he appears fully invested in taking the Force forward into the future. His heart and soul appears to be in it, which as a fan I appreciate compared to the sort of coach who views their job as an exercise in analysis (eg: Hickey).

Now if he can just sort the recruiting balance......

Agree Charger, there is no lack of desire on Woody's part to make this team as good as they can be.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I am quite sure that Link and Graham have done bugger all different, but this week Link is the feather duster and Graham is the Rooster. Funny that. Both these guys know their stuff but you can't plan or set goals around injuries to key players or afford to clear out contracted players(the "dead" wood).

I disagree. It's 100% clear that RG and his coaching group have done much better this year than Link and his with regard to at least two central parameters: forwards intensity and skill, and defence intensity and skill (relative to each other in the latter case).

The Reds' coaching group in 2012 cannot be held accountable for losing 3 10s, but they certainly can for a consistently (6 games) under performing and not-much-injured 'A' group of forwards who have clearly way, way under performed both relative to the Reds' 2011 standards, as well as to any absolute standard required to win S15 games. Clearly, RG's coaching group has got his forwards performing well to very well across 6 games, far better than the Reds. This dimension is front and centre a coaching responsibility, assuming reasonable player quality.

I'd say the same about defence and defence attitudes on show over now 6 games; the Force have indeed had defence imperfections, but the Reds' defence failings have been far greater, inexcusably so given the ludicrous amount of points conceded on tour. Yes, some of this is injury related for Reds in the backs, but by no means all of it is. Again, this parameter is the role of a coaching group, subject to an adequate quality of player overall.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well said RH. The profound lack of intensity from many in the Reds forward pack is baffling considering the tempo of game they played last year. A very telling point for me in the Force game was the site before half time of forwards walking back on side with the Force hard on attack inside their 40 metres. As you say the loss of 3 or 4 Fly Halves doesn't really impact upon this aspect of the forward play except in the area of psycology. Another interesting point is that even with Harris and Lucas at 10 the Reds have generally defended worse than last year which considering QC (Quade Cooper)'s much publicised issues in this facet says something.

I do however also agree with previous posters who indicated that Graham's abilities should not be determined by the fact that the Force pack has continued to play as they have since day dot. They are one of the best packs in the competition and the lack of a consistent 10 and centre pairing has always held them back. There is no getting away from the fact that the Force comprehensively outlplayed the Reds but to overly credit Graham for something the Force Pigs, largely unchanged from three years ago, have been accomplishing for many a year is reaching too far for me. I still see nothing, even in a limitted backline, that speaks improvement in skills execution and planning. I will happily print and eat these words when that is proved wrong.

N

Newter

The Force will be the the total package if they fix their defence?? Now I've heard it all. They lost to a Rebels team without Beale and JOC (James O'Connor). Scoring 4 tries against them is not exactly an achievement - they just conceded 7 tries on Friday night. Controlling "large chunks" of a game but losing by 27 points is not much to write home about either. You can't actually believe that the Force, with their backline, are close to the total package can you?

In looking at the Aussie conference as it stands, the Reds and Waratahs have far more scope for improvement than the Force do, particularly if you consider the injury toll for each of these teams and the players due to return in the coming weeks. The Force will be fighting the Rebels to avoid 5th place in the Aussie conference IMO.

2 wins, several narrow losses, a track record of excellent attacking play, ball security, steady improvement and consistent "putting in". Strike players like Cameron Shepherd and Nalaga to return in coming weeks.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.