• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hooper stats looking good

Status
Not open for further replies.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
As we all know a back rowers job contains a wide range of skills and tasks and often stats don't tell the whole story, but I just had a quick look at all the Rugby Championships back rowers for run metres and tackles over the last 4 games.
For reference only Alberts-McCaw-Read-Dennis-Hooper-Cabello-Lobbe played in the 4 games compared.
Top Running metres - Michael Hooper 32runs/203metres- Richie McCaw 35runs/182metres- Read 26runs/179metres
Most Tackles - Michael Hooper 58- Richie McCaw 49- Alberts 40

Top SA running metres Alberts 27runs/119metres
Top Arg running metres Lobbe 20runs/66metres

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
You'd have to agree though Qwerty that Hooper has been pretty fantastic since being thrust into the job after Bam's injury.

Reactions: BPC

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Of course but if Pocock is fit for the EOYT he has to be there, Hooper comes off the bench.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just out of interest these are David Pococks stats for his 1 game 6runs/15metres - 7 tackles
I don't think he will walk back in, however pity we don't have this level of competition for all positions

J

Jiggles

I say that in the best interests of Australian Rugby.

I would say the same of Horwill and the rest of Team Rehab.

Got to agree, no point in trying to rush back guys like Pocock, Horwill or Mitchell etc. Let them have an extended off season, well really its their first off season in 24 months, and come back fresher. Also give the other fringe guys a bit more exposure.

On Hooper, the one area where I am critical of him is the breakdown. He doesn't really pilfer well and he isn't exactly a presence at contact. It might be tempting to play Pocock 8 (definitely has the ball skills at the back of the scrum) & Hooper 7. Hooper can tackle, while Pocock comes over the top in defense. Freeing up the workload on Pocock in defense might be a smart move. In attack Pocock can play a linking role while Hooper plays a carrying role, which he excels at.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
On Hooper, the one area where I am critical of him is the breakdown. He doesn't really pilfer well and he isn't exactly a presence at contact. It might be tempting to play Pocock 8 (definitely has the ball skills at the back of the scrum) & Hooper 7. Hooper can tackle, while Pocock comes over the top in defense. Freeing up the workload on Pocock in defense might be a smart move. In attack Pocock can play a linking role while Hooper plays a carrying role, which he excels at.

Pocock at 8 is a real possibility. Ignoring injuries I like the following combos.

6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Pocock

6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Palu

If we started Palu & he got injured or became a player used only for the first 30min, etc then we could bring on Pocock to 8 if he is coming off the bench or if he earns his 7 back then Hooper comes off the bench to 7 & Pocock then goes to 8. Higgers is a little inconsistent for me, if he's not doing so well then a combo can be made of Pocock, Hooper, & Palu - Higgers becomes an option off the bench. If he is firing then put him at 6.

I've been admiring a lot of Hoopers running ability so I have not really looked at his pilfering (which as a pilferer myself I probably should). Since I haven't I can't make a judgement on it other than if it is sub par then he definitely needs to work on it - all else he's looking the goods. I think Pocock is the sort of bloke that would welcome competition for his position he seems like the type that would thrive in a competitive atmosphere.

BTW I'm certainly not discounting the other back rowers, past & present (present players being Gill for instance), in Oz Rugby. With hard work & a bit of luck you really don't know who'll pop up, return to the fold a better player, etc. At any rate its good to see so much back row depth for Oz.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Bam is the premier pilferer in the game. He stays at 7 and Hooper goes to 6 if they are in the same 15.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I dunno about trying to shoehorn both guys into the starting 15. The back row is all about balance for mine and if we have two pilferers, that means we forego a big ball runner and/or enforcer/rock shifter. Bam is in the top three opensides in the world and surely must play. Hooper would go to the bench but I could see situations in a game when you'd play both, like maybe late on when things start to get a little unstructured.

J

Jiggles

Pocock at 8 is a real possibility. Ignoring injuries I like the following combos.

6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. Pocock
7. Hooper
8. Palu

6. Higgers
7. Hooper
8. Pocock

6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. Palu

If we started Palu & he got injured or became a player used only for the first 30min, etc then we could bring on Pocock to 8 if he is coming off the bench or if he earns his 7 back then Hooper comes off the bench to 7 & Pocock then goes to 8. Higgers is a little inconsistent for me, if he's not doing so well then a combo can be made of Pocock, Hooper, & Palu - Higgers becomes an option off the bench. If he is firing then put him at 6.

I've been admiring a lot of Hoopers running ability so I have not really looked at his pilfering (which as a pilferer myself I probably should). Since I haven't I can't make a judgement on it other than if it is sub par then he definitely needs to work on it - all else he's looking the goods. I think Pocock is the sort of bloke that would welcome competition for his position he seems like the type that would thrive in a competitive atmosphere.

BTW I'm certainly not discounting the other back rowers, past & present (present players being Gill for instance), in Oz Rugby. With hard work & a bit of luck you really don't know who'll pop up, return to the fold a better player, etc. At any rate its good to see so much back row depth for Oz.

The 3rd option you list is the backrow I think is the future. Palu is always broken, I think we should consider him gone unless he is not. He should be a nice bonus. He still hasn't played outstandingly in Gold apart from the 2009 tour. Higginbotham is a better lineout option than the other 6/8s running around which will be even more important if the Hooper-Pocock option is taken. I just wish Deans would pick him in his preferred spot.

Pocock likes a bit of competition, so I cant see this as a bad thing.

J

Jiggles

I dunno about trying to shoehorn both guys into the starting 15. The back row is all about balance for mine and if we have two pilferers, that means we forego a big ball runner and/or enforcer/rock shifter. Bam is in the top three opensides in the world and surely must play. Hooper would go to the bench but I could see situations in a game when you'd play both, like maybe late on when things start to get a little unstructured.

Hooper really isn't about the pilferer at test level though, and as the stats above show he is a big ball runner. watching him lately he seems to be the firefighter in defense, just trying to put out the little half-breaks all over the shop so the pilfering is taking a back seat. He is playing a McCaw like game now (tackles, ball running, linking etc.), while Pocock is playing like McCaw/Smith did when they first came onto the scene which is a general breakdown pest.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Hooper really isn't about the pilferer at test level though, and as the stats above show he is a big ball runner. watching him lately he seems to be the firefighter in defense, just trying to put out the little half-breaks all over the shop so the pilfering is taking a back seat. He is playing a McCaw like game now (tackles, ball running, linking etc.), while Pocock is playing like McCaw/Smith did when they first came onto the scene which is a general breakdown pest.

That's a fair comment, but in the Hooper/Pocock combo, where would we get the enforcer kind of play from? The kind of stuff that Kaino did for the All Blacks in the RWC or Rocky at his peak gave us.

J

Jiggles

See my comment (No. 8) above about the type or roles I think they would play. Higgs was developing the ruck game nicely at 6 until Deans moved him to 8 which seemed to mess with his mojo. Anyway I feel thats a fairly balanced back row. You have ball carrying options in Hooper and Higgs. You have linking in Pocock and Hooper. You have the tackling in Hooper and Pocock. You have the pilfer in Pocock. Finally you have the breakdown work in Higgs and to a lesser extent pocock. I think Hooper is going to develop this over the next season or two also.

Status
Not open for further replies.