• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Hore's brain-fart

Status
Not open for further replies.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)

Interesting article. Hore had a complete brain-fart and deserves a lengthy break from the game. No excuses. Perhaps he needs to take a long hard look at retirement, for this sort of behaviour engenders comments of cynicism, evident in the article.

Are the ABs bad sports though? My idea of being a bad sport would be moaning and bitching when you lose, and blaming everyone else around you for that loss.I see the ABs more as clinical rather than cynical. Playing hard and winning rugby with a passion is surely a skill, and if more teams were to embrace that philosophy, then the rankings would likely be a little closer than what they currently are.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Eddie BUtler says it very well:
They are a hard-hearted bunch as well, and perhaps this echo of former times, when the All Blacks ruled by fear and ferocity rather than elegance
Its this aspect of their history and attitude that makes their indignation at the QC (Quade Cooper) v McCaw incidents and Higgers knee and head butt so difficult to accept.
To this latest effort may be added Meads crippling of Catchpole - an incident that should have precluded his being seen as a great, let alone the greatest, AB of all.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Didn't see the game in full. Only the video "highlights" footage of the thuggery by Gimli.

Was he carded?

Do the new TMO powers allow a referral for adjucitaing on possible acts of Foul Play?

If Simmo got 8 weeks for a lifting tackle, Gimli should be gone for more than that. That was a very very cheap shot.

Well known opthalmologist and nasal reconstructologist Richard Loe would be very proud of that cowardly attack.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
How did this thread get through the suggested threads filter?

Because we haven't installed the "All Blacks do nothing wrong and cannot be questioned filter"

In all fairness it would have been nice for the OP to give a little more (any) of their opinion and set a good tone for the thread to follow though.

This was a good example.

Interesting article. Hore had a complete brain-fart and deserves a lengthy break from the game. No excuses. Perhaps he needs to take a long hard look at retirement, for this sort of behaviour engenders comments of cynicism, evident in the article.

Are the ABs bad sports though? My idea of being a bad sport would be moaning and bitching when you lose, and blaming everyone else around you for that loss.I see the ABs more as clinical rather than cynical. Playing hard and winning rugby with a passion is surely a skill, and if more teams were to embrace that philosophy, then the rankings would likely be a little closer than what they currently are.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
not bad sports but hard men. the AB's are the consumate professionals in both senses of the word. they are very clinical, sometimes cynical, but do and have always pushed the boundaries, especially at the breakdown. remember the good old days of cleaning out the opposition in a 20 metre radius at the ruck. this effort by hore was a very cheap shot and should be appropriately punished, months not weeks

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Can someone please post footage of the incident? I could not find any on Youtube. (Edit: found it)

Are the AB's bad sports? After watching and loving the way Steve Waugh's team went about there business i think it would be a bit rich to now consider the darkness bad sports. In my view both teams have the same win at all costs outlook. Sometimes that is bound to get under peoples skin and the boundary's get pushed.
I suspect 2 very cheap and very cynical pieces of foul play in the last 2 weeks should have the coaching staff having words to the playing group though. Hopefully Hore gets what he deserves, given Thomsons suspension i doubt it. Both incidents are worse than Simmons tackle in my book.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
As any Wallaby fan will attest to, watching a Wallaby team lose a test match to the All Blacks in New Zealand isn't an enjoyable experience.
Unfortunately many All Black supporters at these games are what I'd call "Bad Winners".
Their outright aggression and dickheadedness towards anyone wearing gold after their team has won, in and around the stadium, happens year after year.
Why such a big chip on the shoulder, particularly since you've won?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the post game behaviour in NZ (and perhaps in OZ these days) does compare badly with many other rugby nations who are more gracious in (home) defeats. in my memory the walk back into melbourne from 'docklands", after australia had beaten the lions in the 2nd test in 2001 was fantastic. there was an enormous wave of red and gold intermingling with wit, charm and good humour. both sets of fans having a great time, and reminiscent of post game at twickenham, landsdowne rd or SCG or SFS in the past.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The dog actions of one player do not define a team of bad sports. THAT CANNOT BE MADE ANY MORE CLEARER.

Are the Wallabies bad sports because of Higgers actions on McCaw in the last Bledisloe? I think not but that also was a dog act.

Look at the examples sighted in this thread. Loe was 20 years ago for christs sake. Meads was much longer than that yet again. Talk about pissing into the wind.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think to take this proposition seriously, we'd need more than one example of thuggery. Personally, I think this side is fine (not always so sure about their coaches, though).

It doesn't surprise me, though, that the conversation has quickly moved to Kiwi supporters, who I think are the worst I've met. Aggressive and arrogant, they seem to pray to different rugby gods than me. Because of the mainstream popularity of the game, too many fans don't care about traditional rugby values.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The OP was fine, putting up a newspaper piece for discussion.
Broadly painting a nation as good or bad sports on isolated incidents is pretty sketchy.
For every Hore, or Meads there is a Kees Meuws pulling back from the scrum when Ben Darwin called out "Neck, neck" in 2003 RWC semi-final.
Every country has its history of thugs, and far more of great players who played the game hard and fair.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The OP was fine, putting up a newspaper piece for discussion.
Broadly painting a nation as good or bad sports on isolated incidents is pretty sketchy.
For every Hore, or Meads there is a Kees Meuws pulling back from the scrum when Ben Darwin called out "Neck, neck" in 2003 RWC semi-final.
Every country has its history of thugs, and far more of great players who played the game hard and fair.

Absolutely sensational post. This is what rugby is truly about for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.