• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How can the Reds grow the game in Qld from this win?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Yes they hold the SOO now too but league was always much bigger in Qld and AFL so strong all up the coast to Cairns, how can rugby make the most of it and get the kiddies into the game?
Tour from GG to Mt Isa with the trophy? Yes
Play some more games on the GG, Townsville and Cairns, definately
New competitions? Rework the Grade and Statewide Cup?
Keeping Quade/Ioane a main priority
There has to be alot of wannabe Quades out there, will the QRU have the money yet?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ioane is as good as gone IMO from his comments to the media. QC (Quade Cooper) is signed for a year, make the most of it.

The Reds have the best Rugby administrator in the country now days in (ex-AFL) Carmichael. The engagement of the fans has been the massive difference IMO along with the passion and accurate skills execution of the players. More of the same will see it grow.

Getting into the schools and promoting the game there more can't hurt. Keeping the Reds and Rugby brand at the forefront should be a priority in the off-season.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
With the talent making it's way through the QLD schoolboy system I think even if we lost Quade and Digby we are still in good hands. The fact that QLD I or II has won the last 6 or so National Championships and it takes a good 2-3 years out of school before players reach Super XV level, we are likely to see the fruits of our labour in the next season or so. Whilst we continue to support growth in club and school rugby Queensland Reds will be safe, our only fear right now is poaching from other clubs with lesser stock.

What we have is a team people want to play for, and whilst we are winning that will continue to be the case. Our depth could however be a curse in that players don't see themselves progressing and therefore leave. But quite frankly I can't see why as a 19yr old you would want to play for any other Australian Super Rugby franchise, perhaps the Rebels as they grow.

Big statements I know, but I do believe this to be the case. No offence to NSW, WA and ACT. What we are seeing though is continual growth in ACT and WA schoolboy performances. Yes they aren't winning but more and more individuals are getting higher representative honours and that's good to see. As for NSW they have always been a good breeding ground for quality and I can't see that changing anytime soon, if they can stay with Queensland and challenge like they have in 2011 (talking schoolboy level) they have things to look forward to aswell.

Queensland rugby couldn't be any better right now. If we can keep a core nucleus of players then we will be able to build a dynasty similar to the Crusaders if not better. I don't see Quade sticking around and he's not the type of player I am talking about, more so; Slipper, Robinson, Simmons, Fainga'a's, Daley, Schatz, Tapuai, Morahan, Davies, Shipperly, Lucas, Toua, Lance and the young players we are seeing evolve at the moment. Add to this the likes of Curtis Browning (Aus Schools 2010-12) and Chris F'Sautia (Aus Schools 2010-12) and already established players such as Michael Birmingham and Aus under 21's Paul Alo-Emile and Liam Gill.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Ioane is as good as gone IMO from his comments to the media. QC (Quade Cooper) is signed for a year, make the most of it.

The Reds have the best Rugby administrator in the country now days in (ex-AFL) Carmichael. The engagement of the fans has been the massive difference IMO along with the passion and accurate skills execution of the players. More of the same will see it grow.

Getting into the schools and promoting the game there more can't hurt. Keeping the Reds and Rugby brand at the forefront should be a priority in the off-season.

Is that enough these days...just letting good rugby do the talking?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is that enough these days...just letting good rugby do the talking?

It's not at least not in this day and age. It's certainly very helpful in building positive exposure and perception but getting out there into the community and particularly schools is what's needed not only to build the base but fend off the advances of rivals codes. Whether people like to use the term or not there is a 'code war' occurring at the very base of the pyramid. The QRU would be very wise to exploit this filip and use the entire Reds squad from now until and even throughout next season to build a real profile in the schools system in not only the major centres but Queensland as a whole. I'd even say get cheeky and cross the border into the NT or even Northern NSW (finally get the NSWRU off the backsides if that occurred).

Whether people are a fan of it or not using 7s to compliment this move, establishing Summer 7s competitions without any competition from the other footbal codes would be I believe a masterstroke and could see the game explode. Use the clubs for support in this endeavour. Not just the grade clubs either but every single club in Queensland.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I would really like to see knock out cups played for at club level and schoolboy level. The problem currently is that unless you are playing for certain clubs or schools then your opportunities are limited. If a school has a good team they would be rewarded in that year as part of a state wide schools knock out cup. It would make for some interesting results.

I guess adding some more sponsorship dollars would also be an option (they seem to be doing well here at the moment)

T

TOCC

I would really like to see knock out cups played for at club level and schoolboy level. The problem currently is that unless you are playing for certain clubs or schools then your opportunities are limited. If a school has a good team they would be rewarded in that year as part of a state wide schools knock out cup. It would make for some interesting results.

I guess adding some more sponsorship dollars would also be an option (they seem to be doing well here at the moment)

This already exists, a statewide knockout comp for the non GPS/AIC schools

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree Jets, and I don't think it would be too hard to structure or organise. I know the GPS and AIC in QLD have a similar competition in other sports such as AFL, and it is proven to work. Although in most cases the GPS schools win the AFL, I think the competition is structure so there are tiers, within each are knockout games, if you win tier 1 you are seen as the champions and the winner or finalist of the tier II get promote the following year, demotion goes for the bottom 2 teams.

The only problem is there are no regular fixtures of AFL on weekends so it's relatively easy to put these mid-week and not have to worry about clashing with other sports. Rugby directors might oppose a competition in which an AIC school plays Nudgee College during the week and then has to back up in a premiership decider 3 days later. The players certainly wouldn't object, it gives the school's the chance to trial players if they are playing weaker teams during the week and who doesn't want to play more footy and earn the chance for a state-wide trophy.

Obviously theres the issue of location, Toowoomba Grammar School and The Southport School are top rugby schools but just too far from the centre, the tiers would have to be broken down into regions. I could see something like a Gold Coast region, then the Met-east, West, North and then a Darling Downs tier or something, obviously TGS and TSS would win their respective tiers and not get promoted based on location but if you have them as the champions of the Gold Coast region, their match with the winner of the tier 1 in the normal GPS competition is really going to be seen as the battle of the best teams from each area.

Not sure if this would promote growth, or just give schools something to boast about.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I really ike the idea of WCR of getting a 7s tournament going over summer, and have on for schools could help keep game on kids lips

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
This already exists, a statewide knockout comp for the non GPS/AIC schools

And my issue is that it should involve them. Also with GPS rugby being moved back to term 3 as of next year they could run it before the GPS season. They have a 7 comp that has been running well with non traditional rugby schools doing well in.

Many years ago the Metway Cup used to run a bit like this, to my understanding. It would give a school like Downlands a comp to win.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Getting some decent rugby onto FTA would be a good start. The ABC used to televise the match-of-the-day from Ballymore, but not any longer.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Success can also have the back up players seeking opportunity - we have already seen reserve half Prior and academy winger Kimami go to the Brumbies joining Crook from last year and another Qld product in Mowen.

The other unknown is the impact of having a National Academy - Qld talent will be sent elsewhere - how do we get first dibs on these players?

T

TOCC

And my issue is that it should involve them. Also with GPS rugby being moved back to term 3 as of next year they could run it before the GPS season. They have a 7 comp that has been running well with non traditional rugby schools doing well in.

Many years ago the Metway Cup used to run a bit like this, to my understanding. It would give a school like Downlands a comp to win.

I fear for non AIC/GPS teams playing the like of Nudgee or BSHS..
Downlands and TGS are minor exceptions since but they already participate against the AIC/GPS teams, but even there recent years have indicated they are falling further behind the elite rugby schools in the GPS..

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I fear for non AIC/GPS teams playing the like of Nudgee or BSHS..
Downlands and TGS are minor exceptions since but they already participate against the AIC/GPS teams, but even there recent years have indicated they are falling further behind the elite rugby schools in the GPS..

Exactly the problem, AIC teams won't be willing to throw their first XV's in against the big guns of the GPS and thus the scoreboard would climb in excess of three digits. The GPS schools love nothing more than putting the AIC schools in their place and the AIC schools won't be risking their top players mid-week when they have more important weekend fixtures. I dare say the islander influence at GPS schools such as Nudgee, Ipswich and State High would scare off most AIC kids, the quality is there, the size and depth isn't.

T

TOCC

I'm not as concerned about the AIC players as I am about the non AIC/GPS schools though.. What chance does a school from Townsville or Rocky have against BSHS?

redsfanatic

Peter Burge (5)
If Ioane leaves, as I fear he might, then some Reds supporters will stop. If Quade Cooper leaves, the Reds franchise is screwed. A lot of kids idolise Quade, and without him a lot of fans are gone. Just like the Western Force are screwed since JOC (James O'Connor) left them.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If Ioane leaves, as I fear he might, then some Reds supporters will stop. If Quade Cooper leaves, the Reds franchise is screwed. A lot of kids idolise Quade, and without him a lot of fans are gone. Just like the Western Force are screwed since JOC (James O'Connor) left them.

That's quite negative. Queenslander's pride themselves on being loyal so they wouldn't ditch a champion team just because two individuals have left. Queensland rugby stocks are good, there will be suitable replacements for these boys and with Link at the helm it won't go downhill. NB: Suitable, not better.

D

daz

Don't really know where to start with this one, so I won't, except to say that post of yours should attract a fairly hefty carbon tax for the amount of pollutants spewed out.....

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

the franchise isnt screwed but quade is your franchise player at the moment. i sai din the reds thread signing him to a long term deal and keeping him happy along with genia will be what makes or breaks this team in the next few years. Its rubbish to say stocks are healthy and he wouldnt be missed, if he or genia are out the reds will lose success witch will be a driving force behind selling qld rugby.

a bad year on the field is going to be seen by alot more people than would have seen the first half of this good one, like a business with bad customer service an unhappy reds fan is going to tell alot more people than a happy one. Keeping the team together and happy as a group as they grow older and perhaps tick things on there list of accomplishments and begin to lose a bit of the youthful fire is what is going to make the team great and the game big in qld.

Status
Not open for further replies.