• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

How Many Lineout Jumpers for the Wallabies Against the Lions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
If your alternative #6 is Mowen, MMM appears to have more pace. He also appears to have more pace than Dennis but not as much as Higgers (although I don't think even of them should be in the mix).

Sharpie called for MMM at #6 last night on Rugby HQ on the basis of his pace and size that could be used out wide.

If Palu starts Mowen would be a good replacement for him on the bench - can cover #6 or #8. MMM could move to lock during the match if needed.

Smith in the side gives cover for #6 and #8. Gill would also offer coverage off the bench for #6 or #7.

something

Jim Clark (26)
Ideally, IF MMM can play lock well enough, we could have him there & he can kind of play like a hybrid. 6 playing style, but packing at lock. then you could have Mowen at 6.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If you want to pick Timani ahead of Douglas you are seriously out of your mind.

Timani is lazy, a bit less than last year, but still lazy. Douglas looks for work.

Horwill jumps at 2 and Douglas at 4. Either can call.

Horwill is allowed to play looser but if things turn nasty, which they are going to, you have two guys that you can take to fargin war.

Would you go to war with Timani? I seriously think not. He is not a player that I feel "certain" about. This is the Lions. They are coming with handbags full of bricks. They perceive a vulnerability in the tight 5. Fuck athleticism. It's going to get ugly. No time for guys who might take a rest and not hit the next ruck. Get in there and stay in there.

Douglas is the kind of player who gets better as it gets nastier. He is the perfect lock to play against the ugly hordes.

It's as clear as bloody day as far as I am concerned.

MMM on the bench. You could not hope for a more timely return to Aus. Gill sites next to him. Perfect balance if George starts. Could not hope for better coverage than that.

Had I been a Wallabies supported, at this point I would have said "Fargin bring it" but instead I'll remind you that this is fargin war:

:)

walshy

Frank Row (1)
I’ve said it before but the Wallabies need at least three primary lineout jumpers and a fourth jumper as at least a backup option. If you’ve only got two primary jumpers, you’ll struggle to win lineout ball and that affects whether you can attack or not.

Nothing shows that more than how the Crusaders dismantled the Stormers lineout last weekend where the Stormers only managed to win 56% of their lineouts. It wasn’t a problem with the lineout throwing – it was that the Stormers only had two primary jumpers and as a result they rely so heavily on Andries Bekker to win their lineout ball which makes them very predictable.

In this match the Stormers threw to Bekker in 50% of lineouts, to De Kock Steenkamp in another 38% and to Duane Vermeulen the remaining 12%. The Crusaders job was made easy for them - mark Bekker and Steenkamp hard and you're in with a very good chance of winning or disrupting the Stormers lineout ball - and the Crusaders did it well.

If you want to see the footage of the lineouts lost by the Stormers have a look at them on our blog here.

The Lions will have a good lineout so for the Wallabies to compete in this area they need two locks and a #6 who are primary jumpers, not backup options – they need height and they need to be really good lineout operators. You could play Mowen at #8 because he’s a primary jumper and that would allow you to play a #6 who is a backup jumper.

Even better would be to have Mowen at #8, MMM at #6 with Douglas and Horwill as your locks giving you four primary jumpers – you could be sure of securing your own ball and really attack the Lions lineout as well – I’d like to see that!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Our lineout throwing has been a little erratic at times in the last couple of years.

Caller must be smart with the options they call. Jumpers must be energetic. Lifters must be strong. Throwers must be accurate.

Options are important, but we will need all parts of the wobs lineout jigsaw to fall into place if we are to win the Lineout battle in the B&I Lions tour and TRC.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sharpe picked Simmons to partner Horwill on the box last night. Not sure I agree, but I do agree that Simmons has been playing a lot better recently. I would probably have him ahead of the rest at the moment, but he does not seem to have as much potential upside as a couple of the other contenders, and there are quite a few of them.

If we can get the locks right, that will go a long way to beating the Lions.

Sharpie would know.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Then why is he not the sole selector?

Simmons would get owned and he is a penalty magnet.

He gave his opinion on who should partner Horwill and what is his opinion based on? Well it's based on 100+ International caps, an astute knowledge of what's required and experience in training and playing with the player he recommended. The context of his knowledge is current which also adds value.

Yep, that's why Sharpie would know. Fair not to agree but hard not to respect the knowledge that the opinion was based on.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He gave his opinion on who should partner Horwill and what is his opinion based on? Well it's based on 100+ International caps, an astute knowledge of what's required and experience in training and playing with the player he recommended. The context of his knowledge is current which also adds value.

Yep, that's why Sharpie would know. Fair not to agree but hard not to respect the knowledge that the opinion was based on.

If ex players were responsible for selections we would have teams packed with mates.

Sure I respect his opinion. How can I not? Doesn't mean his views are balanced.

But go ahead and pick Simmons against the Lions and see what happens. He will have himself a new one.

T

TOCC

If ex players were responsible for selections we would have teams packed with mates.

Sure I respect his opinion. How can I not? Doesn't mean his views are balanced.

But go ahead and pick Simmons against the Lions and see what happens. He will have himself a new one.

On form Simmons is playing a hell of a lot better then the player you suggested(Douglas).

On form, I wouldn't rate Douglas in the top 6 locks currently in Aus.

T

Train Without a Station

that's why you wouldn't give much credibility to who he picks

Could not agree more. You're going to look for positives in the blokes you are mates with. History is full of coaches who struggled when they had to coach players they played alongside. Too much bias involved.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
On form Simmons is playing a hell of a lot better then the player you suggested(Douglas).

On form, I wouldn't rate Douglas in the top 6 locks currently in Aus.

Disagree. Douglas is doing exactly what I would be expecting him to do.

Simmons is hot and cold and is a penalty magnet. Someone needs to remind him that you cannot enter rucks from the side and being tough does not mean pushing people after the whistle.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Douglas was pretty ordinary last night - hopefully just one poor game because with MMM now in serious doubt, Douglas will be needed.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Simmons is hot and cold and is a penalty magnet. Someone needs to remind him that you cannot enter rucks from the side and being tough does not mean pushing people after the whistle.
Funny Douglas is going well with 4 penalties. Simmons is a "penalty magnet" with 5 and Sam Carter has 7! Isn't perception wonderful?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
that's why you wouldn't give much credibility to who he picks

I don't agree. We are effectively replacing Sharpie and his knowledge of the job requirement over rides any potential bias. If we were talking about who he would pick in any other position I would tend to agree with you.

T

TOCC

What is it you are expecting of him? going on the Hurricanes game you obviously aren't expecting him to be hitting rucks or protect the ball..

Status
Not open for further replies.