• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

HSBC 7's ROUND 6 - VANCOUVER

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

galumay

That makes it tough for Aus, Wales would be a tough team to beat based on their games so far. It was actually nice to see Canada grab the win against us in their home tournament.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If you beat Wales, you just need Canada to lose to Russia or beat them by less than you did to go through.

And holy fuck, if we beat Brazil, we're finally back in the top half, hopefully with some top ups incoming from the Pro Sides with the 6 Nations over.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Refuting specific statements by pious general motherhood statements doesn't help you.

I don't need help, thank you very much. Sorry to irk you, but sometimes it has to be done, Mum.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
We didn't even play that badly. Canada were awesome.
Canada really put us under the pump when we had the ball.
We pretty much went in our shell and played percentage footy,which just doesn't get you enough points.
Another game where Kingston demonstrated that despite scoring a try,is just not up to the required standard.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good win to Canada.

The timing of the pool matches, though, is dodgy IMO. As the top seed, the Australians' last game should be the last of the pool.

It's not.

It seems to be Russia and Canada.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Good win to Canada.

The timing of the pool matches, though, is dodgy IMO. As the top seed, the Australians' last game should be the last of the pool.

It's not.

It seems to be Russia and Canada.

Hosts almost always get the last game on Day 1.

Cup QF:

Fiji v USA
SA v Wales
NZ v Samoa - 0550 AEDT
Australia v Scotland - 0610 AEDT

Bowl QF:

Kenya v France
Argentina v Russia
England v Portugal
Canada v Brazil

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^ Last Pool matches are generally 1 v 2 (so Aus v Wal) & 3 v 4 (so Can v Rus), but not necessarily in that order. Aus being seeded 1 & Canada 3 they were never gonna meet in the last match of the day.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You are right, and for the reason I suspect that the organisers don't want the home crowd to piss orf before the final scheduled day 1 match, therefore the hosts play last.

It's not that common that hosts are ranked outside the top seeds in the pool, though, probably a single digit percentage of tournaments.

And in those cases the top seed loses certainty of knowing the equation before kickoff.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More importantly, I'm sure I heard Quinn say 35K turned up for Day 1. Even allowing for the inaugural tournament novelty factor that's a seriously good effort on the part of the organisers & Vancouver/ BC/ Canadian rugby communities. Well done all of them.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I heard or read somewhere that it was a sellout crowd of 33k.
Which puzzles me as it appears that most of the top tier looked like it was covered to camoflouge the empty seats in the closed section.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ Google lists it as having a capacity of 54,500 so you're almost certainly right about the empty top tier being camouflaged, I suspect.

That said, 33 or 35K is a decent number & who's to say how many more they'd have got had that top tier been open (& THAT being said I think 7's is a game that has to be seen from close range, whether live or on TV, & there's really no point having people sitting in any nose-bleed seats the venue may have, better to lay on some mega-screens in the ideally adjacent entertainment precinct).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bowl QF:

France 24-21 Kenya
Argentina 19-0 Russia
England 31-0 Portugal
Canada 19-0 Brazil

Cup QF:

Fiji 31-26 USA - HT 5-19 & 19-26 with <30 sec on clock.
South Africa 31-0 Wales
New Zealand 17-12 Samoa, 17-0 with ~90 sec on clock
Australia 24-17 Scotland, first time Straya have made three consecutive SF since 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.